Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Reply

Old Jun 7, 18, 7:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 4,999
Exclamation Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Thought about adding to the running "AMEX refuses to honor..." thread but thought this might deserve a separate thread as it's a policy/T&Cs change vice individual experiential problems...from DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ed-open-cards/

Today they have added new language stating:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
84fiero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 7:54 am
  #2  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,955
This could mean that American Express will:

  1. Reject the application if the applicant has a history of opening/closing accounts for bonuses.
  2. Notify the applicant that there will be no bonus before the physical cards are delivered.
  3. Provide no notice of ineligibility, and withhold the bonus.

I would be okay with 1 or 2, but of course not 3.
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:20 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 5,861
Originally Posted by mia View Post
This could mean that American Express will:
  1. Reject the application if the applicant has a history of opening/closing accounts for bonuses.
  2. Notify the applicant that there will be no bonus before the physical cards are delivered.
  3. Provide no notice of ineligibility, and withhold the bonus.

I would be okay with 1 or 2, but of course not 3.
#3 is how the have handled previous instances of witholding bonus. Accepted for the card, but then no bonus if you previously had the card.
beachfan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 8:22 am
  #4  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,955
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
#3 is how the have handled previous instances of witholding bonus. Accepted for the card, but then no bonus if you previously had the card.
True, but in that circumstance we know the full rule. This new sentence does not tell us how many opens/closes disqualify a bonus.
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 9:53 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 205
Ya, 1 + 2 makes sense. 3 would be irritating. I totally get it though, card churning is great for the customer but not sustainable for the company if they want to offer real card holders amenities and benefits
Brian Chen is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:09 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,761
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
#3 is how the have handled previous instances of witholding bonus. Accepted for the card, but then no bonus if you previously had the card.
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus? If so, then not receiving such notification within a reasonable amount of time would be confirmation that you won't.
tmiw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:13 am
  #7  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 37,955
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus?....
No.
mia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:21 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,761
Originally Posted by mia View Post
No.
I feel like they should, if only to give people confidence that such a bonus will be given. (I have had a bad experience with them taking months to post the bonus points on my SPG after achieving minimum spend. Fortunately I didn't have trouble arguing that I did qualify, but imagine what it'd be like if I actually had to prove that I was supposed to get one.)

Anyway, I'm not sure case 1 above is warranted unless someone's really abusing apps. Though since AmEx has had lifetime language for a while now, I'm not sure what would qualify.
tmiw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,653
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus? If so, then not receiving such notification within a reasonable amount of time would be confirmation that you won't.
Which banks do this?
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:43 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,097
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
Which banks do this?
Citi does that currently on their AAdvantage card IIRC.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 12:00 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SEA/ORD
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 727
I'm not too worried as long as you don't go on a spree and apply for all the Amex cards in a very short period of time. apply for 2 Hilton cards at the same time might raise questions or if you have an existing Delta card apply for another one. But I think they are less likely to scrutinize your record if you have normal organic spend on their cards and keeping some cards for long term use.
Explorer789 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 18, 2:10 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
I'm not too worried as long as you don't go on a spree and apply for all the Amex cards in a very short period of time. apply for 2 Hilton cards at the same time might raise questions or if you have an existing Delta card apply for another one. But I think they are less likely to scrutinize your record if you have normal organic spend on their cards and keeping some cards for long term use.
I think everyone should be worried. The "as well as other factors" means that they can deny you the bonus for whatever reason they choose. It also means that there is no way for you to argue that you are entitled to the bonus. My guess is that this language is meant to combat the CFPB complaints that some applicants have made in order to get Amex to issue the bonus or get some sort of compensation. I for one don't think I've done anything to warrant them withholding a bonus in the future and it gives me pause. If for whatever reason (glitch or mistake) you don't get a bonus they can just reply with that open-ended language as the justification for not fixing the glitch or mistake.
halamadrid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:50 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 1,895
Originally Posted by halamadrid View Post
I think everyone should be worried. The "as well as other factors" means that they can deny you the bonus for whatever reason they choose. It also means that there is no way for you to argue that you are entitled to the bonus. My guess is that this language is meant to combat the CFPB complaints that some applicants have made in order to get Amex to issue the bonus or get some sort of compensation. I for one don't think I've done anything to warrant them withholding a bonus in the future and it gives me pause. If for whatever reason (glitch or mistake) you don't get a bonus they can just reply with that open-ended language as the justification for not fixing the glitch or mistake.
Seems like overly broad language to me.

The funny thing is AMEX is the one who approves all of these cards within a short period of time, and then turns around and complains that certain customers are eating away at their profits by collecting multiple bonuses in a short period of time.

Raise your underwriting criteria to not allow more than one approval every six months and not more than one bonus in a lifetime. Problem solved.
bryanb and KDS777 like this.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:07 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,653
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Raise your underwriting criteria to not allow more than one approval every six months and not more than one bonus in a lifetime. Problem solved.
Noooooo
Troopers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 18, 10:21 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 12,761
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
Raise your underwriting criteria to not allow more than one approval every six months and not more than one bonus in a lifetime. Problem solved.
Lifetime language has been a thing with AmEx for quite a while now.
tmiw is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread