Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by champstar9669
My wife received the "bonus popup message" a few times in 2019. Contacted the Amex Executive Office. They flat out REFUSE to tell you the reasoning behind getting flagged. All they can say is that you have been flagged as a "rewards abuser." They also flat out refuse to tell you when that label will drop off. She waited a few months. Got approved for 2 new Amex cards. And is now flagged yet again. Oddly, while being flagged, she got approved for the Green biz card. But continued to get flagged for anything/everything else before & after that. Contacted the Executive Office once again. Same story as before. Flagged by the algorithms Amex uses. Their new CEO has a science+data background, so you can expect a whole lot more of this type of stuff in the future. They refuse to provide any specific details. She hasn't closed any accounts in well over a year -- and none less than 1yr ever. No manufactured spend. No points selling. No nonsense or games or wrong-doing of any kind. She's never had a Platinum, Platinum biz, Gold, Gold biz, or Delta card of any kind in her entire life. So it's not like she is some big churn person. We both operate/spend the exact same way. I have 10 Amex cards. No issues. Never been flagged. It's nearly impossible to figure out what the precise reasoning is behind their decisions. If they don't tell you what you're doing "wrong," then it's pretty difficult to adjust your behavior accordingly. Made that point to the Amex Executive Office. They simply do not care. They will not budge at all. No insights from them whatsoever. There is no obvious factor to point to like x/24, inquiries, spend, bonuses received, etc, etc. It's a huge mystery as far as what activity it is that gets a person flagged...how long it lasts...when/why the "rewards abuser" label drops off...etc. Amex apparently *LIKES* it that way. It seems all you can do is take a 6mon break (give or take) and then try/apply again.
I am sure there is a lot of data being analyzed when the system decides to give you a popup. 2 new Amex cards in a short period may well be enough to get you flagged for some time. They don't want you collecting several bonuses at once. Most consumers do not apply for cards rapidly.

I think more and more, you don't have to be a "big churn" person to get flagged. Simply opening even a moderate volume of new accounts is enough for a company to decide you've reaped enough bonuses. Amex may see other new accounts on your report too and assume you're getting the bonuses on those too (or just assume you have many accounts and won't use the Amex card much after the bonus).

In any event, I'm not sure what you expect the executive office to do. This isn't an error. It's an intentional algorithm. I'm sure they will tweak it over time, but they don't have to disclose what their formula is. The average consumer is not going to run into an issue with the pop up.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:02 pm

P2 received 2 Amex Gold 50k NLL offers, first by mail flyer, and second online under Amex offers. She used to have the old Amex Gold (called PRG) which was closed after 2+ years. She used the online offer to apply for the new Amex Gold. Question is can I use her mail flyer to also apply for the Amex Gold (I also had the Amex PRG in past so can't use the public offer)? We have the same address but use a different last name.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by barterback
.... can I use her mail flyer ....
Dated discussion here:

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by leng
Interesting update..

No new CC's until the Bonvoy Brilliant in April 19. Currently hold the EDP and Business Bonvoy (old SPG) card. Since the April application I have been in the SUB penalty box with the pop up.. Tried the Gold card (via referral link) last night and the pop up went away. However, the pop up was still present if I tried to apply for the Gold card via the Corporate Advantage Program (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...010&channel=CA) via work.

Since the corporate advantage program T&C's are better, 50k with 2k spend and $100 annual credit. I'll hold off, otherwise I'd leave 10K MR and $100 annual on the table.
Update: One can get out of the penalty box with consistent spend across all cards with Amex.

I applied for the Gold card Corporate Advantage Program (link above)today and did not get the pop up today. I had to call in to the reconsideration line because of a credit freeze on my file. I verified my information, and I confirmed the T&C (above) before proceeding. Agent confirmed what I had during the application process and then told me I was approved. I'll update after the 2k spend is completed and I get the bonus.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:45 pm

Interestingly, the pop up has gone away TWICE now for my wife during different points in 2019, and during each "cool off" period, she had almost no spend. So TIME was the "magic factor" for her.

Like yourself (Leng), she got approved for a Delta card. It was a targeted offer through the Delta website.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:30 pm

Interestingly, the pop up has gone away TWICE now for my wife during different points in 2019, and during each "cool off" period, she had almost no spend. So TIME was the "magic factor" for her.
During no spend she got approved or got rejected?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Ran into this today. Expected to get approved for something. But on all trys (Platinum, Gold, Marriott Brilliant) got the "not eligible for welcome bonus" pop-up.
Have the no-fee Hilton and have had the BCP card for 7 years. Frankly I'd close the BCP, but have always gotten enough value to offset fee, and it's my longest open card.
I typically close cards right as AF is coming due, but also typically won't spend on them once I meet the minimum for the bonus. And I've never paid a penny of interest to Amex (or any major card issuer for that matter), so I'm sure that could have something to do with it all.
Will sign up for a couple Citi cards, and hopefully by mid next year I can qualify for something.
Have had: SPG Personal and Business. Have the Amex Hilton by conversion from Citi Hilton, and cancelled the Surpass card, which was a conversion from Citi Reserve.
I am getting the offer to upgrade my Hilton to an Aspire. Might take advantage of that.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by joecool1885
I typically close cards right as AF is coming due, but also typically won't spend on them once I meet the minimum for the bonus.
I'd say their algorithm is working properly: With that usage pattern, they probably lose hundreds of dollars every time you open an account.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
During no spend she got approved or got rejected?
Qofmiwok, to answer your question, both approved & rejected during no/very low spend periods. So with my wife, just waiting a while (4-6mon) is what did the trick -- twice now.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:13 pm

Has anyone had any success lobbying AMEX to award the points after the fact? I applied and received the Delta Reserve card which has a $450 annual fee. I did not get a pop up. Spent my minimum spend but didn't see any bonus points post. Contacted them and they tell me I'm not eligible but of course won't say why. I have one other AMEX card which I've had for years. Admittedly, I don't use it much - it's a Hilton card and Hilton points aren't very useful to me. I do have other Airlines cards which I did received sign up bonuses for, but I don't have a lot of them and I've kept them and used them frequently, so I'm not gaming the system by opening lots of points cards. Regardless, I'm not sure I would have spent $450 on this card if I had known I wouldn't get the bonus points. Any recourse?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:54 pm

Laura Young, wow, that's terrible of them to do business in such a way. Doesn't seem right/fair at all. Amex always has that clever clause in the terms of every account that they, at their sole discretion, can mess with your points whenever they feel like it. Recommend calling the Executive Office at (212) 640-2000. If *anyone* can help, it's them.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Laura Young
Has anyone had any success lobbying AMEX to award the points after the fact? I applied and received the Delta Reserve card which has a $450 annual fee. I did not get a pop up. Spent my minimum spend but didn't see any bonus points post. Contacted them and they tell me I'm not eligible but of course won't say why. I have one other AMEX card which I've had for years. Admittedly, I don't use it much - it's a Hilton card and Hilton points aren't very useful to me. I do have other Airlines cards which I did received sign up bonuses for, but I don't have a lot of them and I've kept them and used them frequently, so I'm not gaming the system by opening lots of points cards. Regardless, I'm not sure I would have spent $450 on this card if I had known I wouldn't get the bonus points. Any recourse?
Not sure they will refund the $450 (prob depends how long you've had the card), but you could ask about canceling the card due to this issue and getting your AF refunded. Of course, canceling inside of 12 months may impact future apps, but if you don't care about that, you could try.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:13 pm

Laura Young, wow, that's terrible of them to do business in such a way. Doesn't seem right/fair at all. Amex always has that clever clause in the terms of every account that they, at their sole discretion, can mess with your points whenever they feel like it. Recommend calling the Executive Office at (212) 640-2000. If *anyone* can help, it's them.
Thanks! I will give that a try. I'm not sure I have much hope at this point. I'm super disappointed. I also contacted Delta. I realize they have nothing to do with AMEX's decisions, but they do promote their card. I have airline cards with Citi, Chase and BofA and I've never seen something like this. Usually you just don't get approved for the credit card vs them rescinding the welcome bonus. That's very misleading! I was planning on switching my 100K+ travel to Delta because I've heard they have better service but this now has me rethinking things...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by leng
Update: One can get out of the penalty box with consistent spend across all cards with Amex.

I applied for the Gold card Corporate Advantage Program (link above)today and did not get the pop up today. I had to call in to the reconsideration line because of a credit freeze on my file. I verified my information, and I confirmed the T&C (above) before proceeding. Agent confirmed what I had during the application process and then told me I was approved. I'll update after the 2k spend is completed and I get the bonus.
I met the 2k spend and my points were deposited on oct 6th.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....Spent my minimum spend....
Are you sure? Paying the annual fee or buying certain types of gift cards do not count.

....they tell me I'm not eligible but of course won't say why.
Front line customer service agents seldom know why a bonus is denied. If you work your way up the supervisory chain you will find someone who will offer an explanation. The challenge is to work out if it is the real reason, or something invented to make you go away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.