Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
We've been putting more spend on SO's cards to try to get the pop-up about not getting the bonus to go away. Is there any danger in checking this too often? Since the pop-up shows up and I stop the app, is there a chance Amex is watching this and it could affect our future chances?
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:05 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by fredc84
We've been putting more spend on SO's cards to try to get the pop-up about not getting the bonus to go away. Is there any danger in checking this too often? Since the pop-up shows up and I stop the app, is there a chance Amex is watching this and it could affect our future chances?
Hard to say. There are a few data points within the past 10 or so posts on this thread to suggest that the pop-up can go away fairly quickly if you start putting spend on existing Amex cards. It's completely a hunch but personally if I were in that situation I would want to give it at least a month or so, maybe two, before I tried again, unless you're aiming for a limited-time-only bonus offer.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:10 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by fredc84
Originally Posted by bgriff
Hard to say. There are a few data points within the past 10 or so posts on this thread to suggest that the pop-up can go away fairly quickly if you start putting spend on existing Amex cards. It's completely a hunch but personally if I were in that situation I would want to give it at least a month or so, maybe two, before I tried again, unless you're aiming for a limited-time-only bonus offer.

I can't even get a sign up bonus offer for an AMEX PLT, only an "upgrade your Gold Card" offer shows up for me.

I was going to cancel my Gold this month but decided to keep it and will be putting a few thousand on it over the next couple months in hopes that I can get a PLT with a SUB.

I will keep y'all updated.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I got out of popup prison (first popup seen in September) with the launch of the refreshed Green. I put maybe $2K spend total on 3 different cards between then and the Green relaunch, and I guess it did the trick.

I have subsequently been approved for a Platinum as well with no popup (a few days ago).

I'm not a churner or perk abuser, and the one AF card I held with Amex (Aspire) prior to the new aforementioned Green and Platinum was renewed for a second year, so I'm really not sure why they didn't like me.

It may have been due to underuse, as I had been putting most of my spend on Citi up until then.

At any rate, nothing changed besides the $2K spend, so I have no reason to believe that anything besides that quashed the popups.

I've always liked Amex best, so with the added insurances on Platinum and new 3X categories on Green - I'm happy to be transitioning my charging back to them.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
When I put about $2k in spend on after an initial pop up, I waited for the billing cycle to close before trying again. Not sure if others are seeing it immediately or waiting for the next bill cycle. But just an additional datapoint.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:56 pm

American Express Multiple Platinum Application Warning Message

Hi - I use to have Amex Platinum Personal earlier this year but now when I go through Charles Schwab or Ameriprise on their Platinum offers when I hit submit on the application I get a warning saying based on your history at Amex you will not be eligible for the welcome offer.

Has anyone received this before? I thought those Platinum welcome offers are treated differently.

This is the exact message:

based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.

We have not yet performed a credit check. Would you still like to proceed?

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

That pop-up has nothing to do with duplicate products; it’s an anti-churning initiative at Amex. It will apply to any Amex card because they’ve decided you’re gaming the system. There are some reports you can make it go away by adding spend to all your cards, but nobody’s really sure.
Diplomatico and PointsPanda like this.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
This is AMEX policy for at least 12 months. You need to increase your usage on your AMEX cards for the pop up to disappear.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joogle
....now when I go through Charles Schwab or Ameriprise on their Platinum offers ....
As far as we know, the Ameriprise card is no longer available. Can you post a link to the application that you found?

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)
Old Nov 21, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mia
As far as we know, the Ameriprise card is no longer available. Can you post a link to the application that you found?

Ameriprise Amex Platinum (discontinued October 2019)
Would certainly explain why he's not eligible for the bonus (yes, I know, there wasn't one.)
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
.... I know, there wasn't one.
There was, very briefly, an offer after they eliminated the fee waiver, ~October of this year.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
That pop-up has nothing to do with duplicate products; it’s an anti-churning initiative at Amex. It will apply to any Amex card because they’ve decided you’re gaming the system. There are some reports you can make it go away by adding spend to all your cards, but nobody’s really sure.
Worked for me. I was in Amex prison for a while with very low spend. Added a moderate amount (like a few hundred dollars for a couple months) and the pop up went away.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
It is 100% certain you can make it go away. You also can have a pop-up for one card, and 30 seconds later apply for a different AMEX card and not get the pop-up.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
I can't even get a sign up bonus offer for an AMEX PLT, only an "upgrade your Gold Card" offer shows up for me.

I was going to cancel my Gold this month but decided to keep it and will be putting a few thousand on it over the next couple months in hopes that I can get a PLT with a SUB.

I will keep y'all updated.
This is me! I am trying to get the Schwab Plat and I keep getting the popup. But I have the upgrade offer on my Gold card with no lifetime language. Grrrr. I don't want to close my Gold. I use it all the time. I also use my BBP all the time. We put about $1k on each card every month and I still get the popup! My 12 mo period was Oct 30th of last year...but I did do an upgrade offer in March 2019 for the Hilton Aspire card. I'm guessing I'll reset the unconfirmed 12mo clock after March 2020? I really don't want to wait that long, I want to do the double dip now!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 5:25 am
mia

Originally Posted by 355F1
I can't even get a sign up bonus offer for an AMEX PLT, only an "upgrade your Gold Card" offer shows up for me..
This is because there is a browser cookie that identifies you. Try checking using a different browser (not previously used to access americanexpress.com) or a browser in Private or Incognito mode. Do NOT login during the application process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.