Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by fredc84
Because I tested the app page and got as far as the point where the pop-up showed up before...and it didn't. I just didn't finish the app since I didn't want the card yet. Sorry, should've stated it that way.
Referral doesn't seem to be a way around the limitation anymore. My wife applied yesterday with a referral. She got the pop-up after hitting "apply", asking whether she wanted to go ahead without the bonus.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Now that this has been going on for a while, do we have any more info on whether one can get out of the penalty box, or if there are workarounds? Got the dreaded pop-up trying to apply for the DL Reserve, which surprised me since I don't have that much history with Amex (worst thing is probably a DL Gold card which was spent just for the minimum spend and then sock-drawered for a year). Honestly considering just applying anyway since I don't care that much about the welcome offer, but would be nice to have..
Yes, there is a possible way to get out of the penalty box. Use every Amex card you have for at least one non-trivial purchase (maybe an Amex offer?) and wait for the statement on each to post. Then try again.

While that's not guaranteed to work of course, it has worked for some people who were sock drawering. Obviously, Amex hates sock drawering, so don't do it you don't want them to hate you!
akr1970akr and jiaogulan like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I had seen that suggested on Reddit, so I was going to try it, however...

I needed to buy some tickets I was hoping to use for minimum spend, so I idly applied again, not really paying attention and not expecting it to work. Surprisingly, I was approved! However, what I noticed was that I had actually applied for a different SUB (40k RDM + 10k MQM instead of 75k + 5k). Presumably the only real bait-and-switch here is that I didn't read what I was signing up for, but with the card issued already I think I'm going to leave it at that. Hopefully I actually get the bonus, but as I mentioned earlier I actually mostly wanted the card for the SC membership and companion cert, so I don't really care that much about the SkyPeso anyway.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:08 pm

My story

Was an Amex Gold AU in 1977

Did have the Green on my own which I BK in 1996
BK dropped in 2003 and got the Amex Plat. Never made the required spend.

Applied for the NAF Blue and Amex Costco.
The Costco was converted to Citibank. Kept the Blue but very little spend to keep the account alive.

2019, applied for the Aspire and was approved. Spend was completed in 6 weeks and SUB posted.

Got an upgrade offer on the Blue and hit the 1k spend within the first month SUB posted. Helps when wife likes to shop.

My member date on the cards is 77. When I pulled my CR, and looked at the closed accounts, the Plat and Green accounts are not listed. The only listed closed Amex card is Costco.

No hard inquiry was done on the upgrade Blue or the Aspire. However, my credit line on the Blue was reduced by 10k and added to Aspire to give me 25k on the Aspire.

I do see an offer for the Plat 60k as a pre-approval offer. I will apply for the Plat but will wait to put more spending history on the Aspire.

Will post if I’m successful or not.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:03 am

Interesting update..

No new CC's until the Bonvoy Brilliant in April 19. Currently hold the EDP and Business Bonvoy (old SPG) card. Since the April application I have been in the SUB penalty box with the pop up.. Tried the Gold card (via referral link) last night and the pop up went away. However, the pop up was still present if I tried to apply for the Gold card via the Corporate Advantage Program (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...010&channel=CA) via work.

Since the corporate advantage program T&C's are better, 50k with 2k spend and $100 annual credit. I'll hold off, otherwise I'd leave 10K MR and $100 annual on the table.
mia, akr1970akr and jiaogulan like this.

Last edited by leng; Jun 19, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I was in the midst of getting pop ups, but I got an Ascend --> Aspire upgrade offering 150K points for spending 4k in 3 months. No pop-ups, no issues, got the bonus. Not sure anyone would get a pop up from this, because it isn't an application for new credit / a new card. My details are back in this thread somewhere. I verified multiple times through the process of this that I would get the bonus with AMEX, as well.
Began putting most spend on new Citi AA cards that I churn, outside some restaurant spend on my AMEX Gold ($900 in a few months) and some Hilton spend on my Aspire ($300 or so).

Back to getting pop ups with the Delta Reserve, Marriott Bonvoy, and Hilton Business card apps. It is very dynamic, but I think we knew that.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:28 pm

Began putting most spend on new Citi AA cards that I churn, outside some restaurant spend on my AMEX Gold ($900 in a few months) and some Hilton spend on my Aspire ($300 or so).

Back to getting pop ups with the Delta Reserve, Marriott Bonvoy, and Hilton Business card apps. It is very dynamic, but I think we knew that.
I will also add that I got out of pop up hell late last year. I was denied for the Hilton Business card last Summer, but in the Fall I got the Ascend --> Aspire upgrade offer for 150,000 points if I spend 4K USD in 3 months. I did this and got the points.

I have no conclusive proof obviously, but I suspect this spend and maybe some other very light spending on other cards got me out of pop up hell and allowed me to complete the personal Hilton card hat trick by getting the standard Hilton card giving 75,000 points for $1,000 spend in January 2019 after I was 100% in pop up hell most of 2018.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Seems like overly broad language to me.

The funny thing is AMEX is the one who approves all of these cards within a short period of time, and then turns around and complains that certain customers are eating away at their profits by collecting multiple bonuses in a short period of time.
Exactly! AmEx specifically uses the word "gaming" in regard to churning activity. But they get to determine the rules of the game! If we follow the rules and we are still doing things AmEx doesn't like, then AmEx should change the rules. Instead, they use a nebulous definition to exclude anybody they choose.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:44 am

I will also add that I got out of pop up hell late last year. I was denied for the Hilton Business card last Summer, but in the Fall I got the Ascend --> Aspire upgrade offer for 150,000 points if I spend 4K USD in 3 months. I did this and got the points.

I have no conclusive proof obviously, but I suspect this spend and maybe some other very light spending on other cards got me out of pop up hell and allowed me to complete the personal Hilton card hat trick by getting the standard Hilton card giving 75,000 points for $1,000 spend in January 2019 after I was 100% in pop up hell most of 2018.
Picked up a Green Personal charge card (for the spend $1K get 25K MR bonus) and got that after an easy recon call (no credit check, although he hinted at it, probably just to see if I reacted well?). Got the Green Business charge card with immediate approval. These 2 were in July 2019.

Just yesterday I applied for the Hilton Business card since they have the elevated offer going on. Got the pop up.

I had an email a few weeks ago from Marriott inviting me to apply for the Marriott Business Bonvoy card and I had tabled it thinking I'd get the pop up, but I applied for the hell of it and I was approved immediately. Perhaps the "invitation email" helped, but this stuff still seems not entirely clear cut.

I haven't been spending much on my Amex cards. A Hilton 1-2 night stay here, some restaurant spend on the Gold there, and recently spent $1,000 on my Green personal card, but that was to meet a minimum spend.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, there is a possible way to get out of the penalty box. Use every Amex card you have for at least one non-trivial purchase (maybe an Amex offer?) and wait for the statement on each to post. Then try again.

While that's not guaranteed to work of course, it has worked for some people who were sock drawering. Obviously, Amex hates sock drawering, so don't do it you don't want them to hate you!
Originally Posted by findark
I had seen that suggested on Reddit, so I was going to try it, however...

I needed to buy some tickets I was hoping to use for minimum spend, so I idly applied again, not really paying attention and not expecting it to work. Surprisingly, I was approved! However, what I noticed was that I had actually applied for a different SUB (40k RDM + 10k MQM instead of 75k + 5k). Presumably the only real bait-and-switch here is that I didn't read what I was signing up for, but with the card issued already I think I'm going to leave it at that. Hopefully I actually get the bonus, but as I mentioned earlier I actually mostly wanted the card for the SC membership and companion cert, so I don't really care that much about the SkyPeso anyway.
Just updating here.. I forget if I made any purchase to an Amex card before getting approved (I think I did one), but I got my Reserve, met the minimum spend, and my offer posted right on time. Now most likely back to the sock drawer it goes unless I need to qualify for another offer - market for actually capturing spend is so competitive these days
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:23 am

Has Amex (USA) made it even more difficult to get approved...

I know Amex rolled out its new algorithum last year in approving new applications w/a sign up bonus, and has for the most part prevented people with 5 or more personal credit cards (not including charge cards) or people who have canceled their cards w/in 12 months, etc. from getting a new sign up bonus on a new card. But I'm puzzled on why my wife just got the message that "Based on your history...# of cards, blah blah blah w/us, you are not qualify for the sign up bonus"! She currently holds 4 credit cards and 1 charge card and never canceld an Amex card w/in 12 months from opening. The only thing I can think of is the # of cards she has applied and received in the last year: 1) Amex BBP 1/1/2019, 2) Amex Bus. Gold 10/15/18, 3) Amex Hilton Bus. 8/24/18, 4) Amex Hilton Honor 6/27/18, 5) Amex SPG Bus. 3/19/18. But I don't think is is excessive to get that message. So hence the question if Amex has recently increased the difficulties in getting approved w/a sign up bonus? Anyone has any insights or similar experiences? Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
....only thing I can think of is the # of cards she has applied and received in the last year:....
How much spend did she put on each of those cards after receiving the new account bonus?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
How much spend did she put on each of those cards after receiving the new account bonus?
After meeting required bonus spend, mostly nominal.on 2 cards on almost nonexistent on the other 3.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
After meeting required bonus spend, mostly nominal.on 2 cards on almost nonexistent on the other 3.
I think this is the pattern that American Express is trying to avoid. Customers who only spend enough to earn a new account bonus are not profitable. Your wife likely needs to put some spending on her current American Express cards before she will be approved for another bonus.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I think this is the pattern that American Express is trying to avoid. Customers who only spend enough to earn a new account bonus are not profitable. Your wife likely needs to put some spending on her current American Express cards before she will be approved for another bonus.
Sounds good, thanks Mia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.