Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ponickka
Has anyone ran into the situation ....
Scroll back to early March and read forward. Each situation is slightly different. How do you know that "too many" is the specific reason that your bonus was denied?
Old May 1, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Scroll back to early March and read forward. Each situation is slightly different. How do you know that "too many" is the specific reason that your bonus was denied?
When applying for a AMex Hilton Biz card would recent personal card applications be taken into account when determining bonus eligibility ?

I was thinking of getting the HH biz card ( she has never had a AMex biz card of any type) for my wife.

Hopefully they would tell us before we apply if she is not eligible for the bonus but it seems that may not be true 100% of the time.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:44 pm

Angry Happened to me

well, I got the dreaded box today applying for Hilton Biz.

Data: 1 personal, 3 business cards with Amex in past 12 months. Spending slowed considerably after bonus on each but still has intermittent activity. The amazon one gets used a fair amount and the others have a couple small bills on auto pay. Credit report is fairly clean as I’ve been targeting non-reporting biz cards.

Thoughts: it bums me out because I wouldn’t consider myself a churner and I only apply for cards I intend to keep two years or more. Amex has tons of good bonuses and cards and I’m going to pretty bummed if I can’t get them. I really want the Hilton aspire as a long term keeper card but no business really really bites.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Now that this has been going on for a while, do we have any more info on whether one can get out of the penalty box, or if there are workarounds? Got the dreaded pop-up trying to apply for the DL Reserve, which surprised me since I don't have that much history with Amex (worst thing is probably a DL Gold card which was spent just for the minimum spend and then sock-drawered for a year). Honestly considering just applying anyway since I don't care that much about the welcome offer, but would be nice to have..
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by findark
Now that this has been going on for a while, do we have any more info on whether one can get out of the penalty box, or if there are workarounds? Got the dreaded pop-up trying to apply for the DL Reserve, which surprised me since I don't have that much history with Amex (worst thing is probably a DL Gold card which was spent just for the minimum spend and then sock-drawered for a year). Honestly considering just applying anyway since I don't care that much about the welcome offer, but would be nice to have..
Yes...I applied 6 months ago to get SO an Amex and was told there would be no bonus (via the pop up message during the app process). A few days ago we received a pre-approved offer for the very same card I had wanted to get back then. Not sure what makes the difference...just time, maybe.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Yes...I applied 6 months ago to get SO an Amex and was told there would be no bonus (via the pop up message during the app process). A few days ago we received a pre-approved offer for the very same card I had wanted to get back then. Not sure what makes the difference...just time, maybe.
Did you apply and not get the popup this time?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting. I haven't seen any reports of trying to apply by phone or other means.. is it generally believed that the popup means you'll get the same result there too? I assume yes.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Did you apply and not get the popup this time?
No, not yet. We have way too many other cards to apply for atm. The other option is a referral from me which would give us both 10,000 points and I would rather have most of the points since I have about 80% of them between us. Since that has consistently been 20,000 combined (2 x 10K) it's basically the same as the 20K for SO alone.

Interesting. I haven't seen any reports of trying to apply by phone or other means.. is it generally believed that the popup means you'll get the same result there too? I assume yes.
No idea about that.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:14 am

No, not yet.
Then I'm not sure why you think you are a data point to getting out of the popup penalty box. The pre-approved offer you received is not relevant.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Then I'm not sure why you think you are a data point to getting out of the popup penalty box. The pre-approved offer you received is not relevant.
Because I tested the app page and got as far as the point where the pop-up showed up before...and it didn't. I just didn't finish the app since I didn't want the card yet. Sorry, should've stated it that way.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:59 am

Because I tested the app page and got as far as the point where the pop-up showed up before...and it didn't. I just didn't finish the app since I didn't want the card yet. Sorry, should've stated it that way.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following up on my own suggestion, I tried applying by phone and it was pretty clear the CSR was going through the same system and got the same result. I was transferred to another department who claimed that I am ineligible because I have previously received a SUB from the same family of cards, and would never be eligible for a lifetime-limited offer on another DL card. I have no way of knowing if this is actually true, but it sounded like as far as I could dig.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:25 pm

Following up on my own suggestion, I tried applying by phone and it was pretty clear the CSR was going through the same system and got the same result. I was transferred to another department who claimed that I am ineligible because I have previously received a SUB from the same family of cards, and would never be eligible for a lifetime-limited offer on another DL card. I have no way of knowing if this is actually true, but it sounded like as far as I could dig.
Huh, I didn't know Amex had that rule...if they actually do. I've had the Delta plats and golds, personal and business in the same year...I'd consider them (the golds and plats) in the same family. I know Citi has that rule (and maybe Chase, though I don't know anything about them).
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... ineligible because I have previously received a SUB from the same family of cards, and would never be eligible for a lifetime-limited offer on another DL card.....
Huh, I didn't know Amex had that rule...
This rule existed some years ago. To my knowledge it does not exist now. If it did exist the terms would list the cards that disqualify the bonus, rather than referring to "this product".

Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tend to agree - my impression was that the agent was making things up to get rid of me. Her initial "explanation" was that I did not get the card because I canceled the application when seeing the no-welcome-offer popup (no duh). However, my real conclusion was that (a) you can't get around this by applying over the phone, and (b) no one at Amex is going to tell you why you're getting rejected.

I saw some data points from r/churning suggesting that a few weeks of regular transactions on your existing accounts may get around this, so I think I'll put some daily charges on my currently sock-drawered Blue Cash cards and see if it helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.