Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:26 pm

So after reading up a bunch on this thread. If One has the pop up I should put some spend on the existing cards and then retry again after a statement or two ?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
How are you guys increasing the odds of seeing a better SUB. I have a PLAT, DL Gold, Bonvoy Brilliant, Simply Cash, and Bonvoy business. I want the DL Plat before the 30th. But I also want a better offer than the public one.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
How are you guys increasing the odds of seeing a better SUB. I have a PLAT, DL Gold, Bonvoy Brilliant, Simply Cash, and Bonvoy business. I want the DL Plat before the 30th. But I also want a better offer than the public one.
One of the usual methods is to search for the offer using Incognito or private browsing mode. Another method is to use a VPN and try searching for the offer from different geographically based servers. Or both.

Sometimes referral links contain elevated offers as well (or so I'm led to believe.)
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right now, if you keep opening in different browsers, you will recently see "just for you" offer for 50k for Gold (up from 35k) and 70k for Plat (up from 60k). I'm not sure about other cards -- some of them definitely have higher than normal posters but I wasn't keeping track.

I did this for my Plat application yesterday. It's only an extra 10k pts but it's not much effort. I couldn't get it to pop up in Chrome (incognito it not) but it popped up in Firefox.

So try every browser on your computer/phone/tablet, both in incognito/private mode and not, until you see the larger offer.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
If you can't find a 70K private offer, personally I'd just wait and pay the new higher fee to sign up during a 70K offer in the future. Such offers have been pretty common a few times a year in recent years, and I would imagine Delta and Amex have a marketing blitz planned for the new features of the card shortly after the refresh, which may include a higher SUB. But even with Delta miles being ever less valuable, 10K incremental miles (or more, depending how good of a "special" offer you can find -- they sometimes also include statement credits and/or MQMs) is still worth a lot more than the $55 increase in fee.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:22 pm

My offer is 75K plus $100 on Plat. I was thinking there might be a way to get a better one.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My offer is 75K plus $100 on Plat. I was thinking there might be a way to get a better one.
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Is there any way to confirm that I actually will get the 70k pts?
Tip: Don't ask a bank (Amex or any other bank) if you are the getting the bonus. It's too easy for them to make up a possibly-wrong answer without looking it up.

Instead, ask them by what exact date you need to complete how much spend to get the bonus. For that, they have look it up in your account.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Tip: Don't ask a bank (Amex or any other bank) if you are the getting the bonus. It's too easy for them to make up a possibly-wrong answer without looking it up.

Instead, ask them by what exact date you need to complete how much spend to get the bonus. For that, they have look it up in your account.
That is a good answer.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:11 pm

What does Amex think of minimal spending, after earning an MR bonus, as opposed to zero spending? For example, if you have a Gold & BBP the ED cards seem to have no value other than their signup bonus.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:14 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by randian
What does Amex think of minimal spending, after earning an MR bonus, as opposed to zero spending? For example, if you have a Gold & BBP the ED cards seem to have no value other than their signup bonus.
If you are trying to play the Amex bonus game long term, it’s probably not a good idea to sign up for a card solely for a sign-up bonus without any expectation of using it on an ongoing basis — especially cards like the EDs that don’t have particularly remarkable sign-up bonuses to begin with, IMO.

That said the evidence suggests that minimal steady activity (like putting 1-2 recurring bills on a card you don’t use for much else) does often seem to keep Amex happy, but there’s no knowing for sure.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:41 pm

My last AMEX CC was a Delta in 2016, cancelled in 2017 to avoid Annual Fee.
Have held the AMEX everyday CC since 2016, but hardly ever use it.
I am well under 5/24 rule for all banks/cards.. was actually due to apply in May 2019 at the 2 year marker.
Applied today in Feb 2020 for a Hilton AMEX and got denied "based on credit history, welcome offers, etc. not eligible for offer etc..."
My credit score is excellent..

The only thing i can figure is the theory that I haven't used the AMEX everyday often enough... and they don't like that...
So if I never even had the amex everyday cc, I "might" have been approved?
Will call them tomorrow for a better explanation (they are closed today, Sunday)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mymyles
My last AMEX CC was a Delta in 2016, cancelled in 2017 to avoid Annual Fee.
Have held the AMEX everyday CC since 2016, but hardly ever use it.
I am well under 5/24 rule for all banks/cards.. was actually due to apply in May 2019 at the 2 year marker.
Applied today in Feb 2020 for a Hilton AMEX and got denied "based on credit history, welcome offers, etc. not eligible for offer etc..."
My credit score is excellent..

The only thing i can figure is the theory that I haven't used the AMEX everyday often enough... and they don't like that...
So if I never even had the amex everyday cc, I "might" have been approved?
Will call them tomorrow for a better explanation (they are closed today, Sunday)

they won’t be able to tell you it is all automated. Just put Some spending on your existing American Express card and then try again in a month or two. That worked for me.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, IHG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by RedElmo
they won’t be able to tell you it is all automated. Just put Some spending on your existing American Express card and then try again in a month or two. That worked for me.

What if I only have a no-fee Delta card that I havent used. Will that cause the pop-up to come up if I decide to open other cards?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by linaseta
What if I only have a no-fee Delta card that I havent used. Will that cause the pop-up to come up if I decide to open other cards?
Thats the thing. You don’t use it. So why would they give you another card to keep in the drawer?
bgriff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.