Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Exclamation Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Thought about adding to the running "AMEX refuses to honor..." thread but thought this might deserve a separate thread as it's a policy/T&Cs change vice individual experiential problems...from DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ed-open-cards/

Today they have added new language stating:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This could mean that American Express will:

1. Reject the application if the applicant has a history of opening/closing accounts for bonuses.
  2. Notify the applicant that there will be no bonus before the physical cards are delivered.
  3. Provide no notice of ineligibility, and withhold the bonus.

I would be okay with 1 or 2, but of course not 3.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mia
This could mean that American Express will:
  1. Reject the application if the applicant has a history of opening/closing accounts for bonuses.
  2. Notify the applicant that there will be no bonus before the physical cards are delivered.
  3. Provide no notice of ineligibility, and withhold the bonus.

I would be okay with 1 or 2, but of course not 3.
#3 is how the have handled previous instances of witholding bonus. Accepted for the card, but then no bonus if you previously had the card.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by beachfan
#3 is how the have handled previous instances of witholding bonus. Accepted for the card, but then no bonus if you previously had the card.
True, but in that circumstance we know the full rule. This new sentence does not tell us how many opens/closes disqualify a bonus.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:53 am

Ya, 1 + 2 makes sense. 3 would be irritating. I totally get it though, card churning is great for the customer but not sustainable for the company if they want to offer real card holders amenities and benefits
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus? If so, then not receiving such notification within a reasonable amount of time would be confirmation that you won't.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:13 am
mia

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus?....
No.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
No.
I feel like they should, if only to give people confidence that such a bonus will be given. (I have had a bad experience with them taking months to post the bonus points on my SPG after achieving minimum spend. Fortunately I didn't have trouble arguing that I did qualify, but imagine what it'd be like if I actually had to prove that I was supposed to get one.)

Anyway, I'm not sure case 1 above is warranted unless someone's really abusing apps. Though since AmEx has had lifetime language for a while now, I'm not sure what would qualify.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
It's been a while since I applied for an AmEx but don't they normally send you something confirming that you will get the bonus? If so, then not receiving such notification within a reasonable amount of time would be confirmation that you won't.
Which banks do this?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Which banks do this?
Citi does that currently on their AAdvantage card IIRC.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I'm not too worried as long as you don't go on a spree and apply for all the Amex cards in a very short period of time. apply for 2 Hilton cards at the same time might raise questions or if you have an existing Delta card apply for another one. But I think they are less likely to scrutinize your record if you have normal organic spend on their cards and keeping some cards for long term use.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789
I'm not too worried as long as you don't go on a spree and apply for all the Amex cards in a very short period of time. apply for 2 Hilton cards at the same time might raise questions or if you have an existing Delta card apply for another one. But I think they are less likely to scrutinize your record if you have normal organic spend on their cards and keeping some cards for long term use.
I think everyone should be worried. The "as well as other factors" means that they can deny you the bonus for whatever reason they choose. It also means that there is no way for you to argue that you are entitled to the bonus. My guess is that this language is meant to combat the CFPB complaints that some applicants have made in order to get Amex to issue the bonus or get some sort of compensation. I for one don't think I've done anything to warrant them withholding a bonus in the future and it gives me pause. If for whatever reason (glitch or mistake) you don't get a bonus they can just reply with that open-ended language as the justification for not fixing the glitch or mistake.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I think everyone should be worried. The "as well as other factors" means that they can deny you the bonus for whatever reason they choose. It also means that there is no way for you to argue that you are entitled to the bonus. My guess is that this language is meant to combat the CFPB complaints that some applicants have made in order to get Amex to issue the bonus or get some sort of compensation. I for one don't think I've done anything to warrant them withholding a bonus in the future and it gives me pause. If for whatever reason (glitch or mistake) you don't get a bonus they can just reply with that open-ended language as the justification for not fixing the glitch or mistake.
Seems like overly broad language to me.

The funny thing is AMEX is the one who approves all of these cards within a short period of time, and then turns around and complains that certain customers are eating away at their profits by collecting multiple bonuses in a short period of time.

Raise your underwriting criteria to not allow more than one approval every six months and not more than one bonus in a lifetime. Problem solved.
bryanb and KDS777 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Raise your underwriting criteria to not allow more than one approval every six months and not more than one bonus in a lifetime. Problem solved.
Noooooo
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Lifetime language has been a thing with AmEx for quite a while now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.