Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80
Did the popup explain why they weren't going to honor the bonus? Did it explicitly mention that it was because of too many open cards or that they just didn't feel like giving him the bonus?
It said something like “based on his spending patterns and past relationship with Amex”

its over boys...

Last edited by Preacher7; Jun 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:32 am

1st reject--under Amex new rule...

So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..." My heart 1/2 sunk! First CC reject ever! I've never had the Ascend, or Surpass. Currently have 3 personal Amex cards, 2 business cards-one being a charge card & a charge card for a total of 6 Amex cards. I have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months (personally I'm thinking this may be the cause of reject). Chat w/online rep, he didn't know reason-gave me # to the phone new application agent, we spent an hour on the phone and he couldn't figure out or get around the pop-up reject. Anyone has had similar issues due to Amex newly implemented rule? Any luck or ideas to get around this?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..." My heart 1/2 sunk! First CC reject ever! I've never had the Ascend, or Surpass. Currently have 3 personal Amex cards, 2 business cards-one being a charge card & a charge card for a total of 6 Amex cards. I have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months (personally I'm thinking this may be the cause of reject). Chat w/online rep, he didn't know reason-gave me # to the phone new application agent, we spent an hour on the phone and he couldn't figure out or get around the pop-up reject. Anyone has had similar issues due to Amex newly implemented rule? Any luck or ideas to get around this?
Out of curiosity, how long had you had the two cards that you closed? Either of them closed in less than one year?

Technically you weren't rejected for the credit card - you chose not to sign up for it (rightfully so) since there was no bonus attached.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Out of curiosity, how long had you had the two cards that you closed? Either of them closed in less than one year?

Technically you weren't rejected for the credit card - you chose not to sign up for it (rightfully so) since there was no bonus attached.
Correct--not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do. And correct, the 2 cards were less than a year--1st one, I closed not due to my own reasoning but due to Amex's reps misleading info (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, I rcv'd message that says to wait so I called Amex and Rep told me because I currently have the ED Pref., they couldn't approve me for the EveryDay so I closed the ED Pref. to get the EveryDay. 2nd card I closed was 2 days ago when I called Amex for any retentions offer (received retentions for personal SPG a few months back) on the SPG bus. (1st annual coming up in Aug.) and rep tells me there's no retention offer and I decided to close it while on the call.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Correct--not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do. And correct, the 2 cards were less than a year--1st one, I closed not due to my own reasoning but due to Amex's reps misleading info (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, I rcv'd message that says to wait so I called Amex and Rep told me because I currently have the ED Pref., they couldn't approve me for the EveryDay so I closed the ED Pref. to get the EveryDay. 2nd card I closed was 2 days ago when I called Amex for any retentions offer (received retentions for personal SPG a few months back) on the SPG bus. (1st annual coming up in Aug.) and rep tells me there's no retention offer and I decided to close it while on the call.
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.
Correct on your understanding of the 2 cards (open/closed). Yes, obviously this is something new on Amex's side with their algorithm and we can all guess, but I think it's most likely closing two cards within 6 months and both cards are under a year old. As for "but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective."--that by itself may not be the culprit (IMO) as I've only done that once with Amex and I've been with them since 2003. But it's anyone's guess how their algorithm is in identifying applicants. I guess my only solution is lay low and not apply for Amex cards for a while?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I guess my only solution is lay low and not apply for Amex cards for a while?
Indeed. And, I would assume, have some decent and steady usage on whatever Amex card(s) you have remaining.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Indeed. And, I would assume, have some decent and steady usage on whatever Amex card(s) you have remaining.
Oh yes I do and have been using at least one to two cards on monthly basis.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
"but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective."--that by itself may not be the culprit (IMO) as I've only done that once with Amex and I've been with them since 2003. ?
In this (your) case once was one to many,
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct on your understanding of the 2 cards (open/closed). Yes, obviously this is something new on Amex's side with their algorithm and we can all guess, but I think it's most likely closing two cards within 6 months and both cards are under a year old.
The only thing new is warning you about it. A very similar policy (except it only mentions losing points rather than not being approved for a card) is almost a year old!!! Read the first post in this thread:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

and look at the date it was posted.

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards to, we may freeze Membership Rewards credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards from your account."

As I pointed out in that thread, you always have at least 13 months before you have to pay the annual fee for a second year, so why in the world keep cancelling cards before 12 months if this danger has been documented?!?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 21, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The only thing new is warning you about it. A very similar policy (except it only mentions losing points rather than not being approved for a card) is almost a year old!!! Read the first post in this thread:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

and look at the date it was posted.

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards to, we may freeze Membership Rewards credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards from your account."

As I pointed out in that thread, you always have at least 13 months before you have to pay the annual fee for a second year, so why in the world keep cancelling cards before 12 months if this danger has been documented?!?
Didn't know that before---rookie mistake! Now I know! Thanks for pointing that out! I assume you say 13 months because Amex refunds annual fees if canceled w/in the first 30 days? I'll make sure to keep that in mind with all future Amex AF cards I don't intend to keep.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months....
.... (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, .....
Didn't know that before---rookie mistake!.....
If I understand the timeline correctly your original Everyday Preferred application was after July 2017. If that's accurate, those restrictions were in the terms at the time you applied, and you could have known. I realize it's tedious, but it really is important to READ the terms of card offers before you apply, because they do change. After awhile you'll come to know where to read carefully, and where to skim. It's also worth knowing that once in awhile a restriction does not appear in the offer, but is displayed with the application, so keep reading even after you click [Apply].
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..."

... not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do.
It would seem that Amex's algorithm is pretty good in this case - it caught exactly what it was intended to.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
My plat annual fee is coming up July 20, but new SPG luxury card is coming out August 1. I was going to close it but now will wait because closing may hurt my chances and since I have 30 days anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slickvik
My plat annual fee is coming up July 20, but new SPG luxury card is coming out August 1. I was going to close it but now will wait because closing may hurt my chances and since I have 30 days anyway.
This. Just let the AF posted and take action 2 weeks after that and you still have 1 week to 10 days before the due date to pay the AF. Keep in mind if you wait for the full 30 days you would need to pay the AF first as for sure the due date is only 21 to 24 days from the posting date which generally is the statement closing date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.