FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:31 am
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23
So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..." My heart 1/2 sunk! First CC reject ever! I've never had the Ascend, or Surpass. Currently have 3 personal Amex cards, 2 business cards-one being a charge card & a charge card for a total of 6 Amex cards. I have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months (personally I'm thinking this may be the cause of reject). Chat w/online rep, he didn't know reason-gave me # to the phone new application agent, we spent an hour on the phone and he couldn't figure out or get around the pop-up reject. Anyone has had similar issues due to Amex newly implemented rule? Any luck or ideas to get around this?
Out of curiosity, how long had you had the two cards that you closed? Either of them closed in less than one year?

Technically you weren't rejected for the credit card - you chose not to sign up for it (rightfully so) since there was no bonus attached.