FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:13 am
TIGRIS23

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.
Correct on your understanding of the 2 cards (open/closed). Yes, obviously this is something new on Amex's side with their algorithm and we can all guess, but I think it's most likely closing two cards within 6 months and both cards are under a year old. As for "but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective."--that by itself may not be the culprit (IMO) as I've only done that once with Amex and I've been with them since 2003. But it's anyone's guess how their algorithm is in identifying applicants. I guess my only solution is lay low and not apply for Amex cards for a while?