Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Old Jun 18, 18, 11:45 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Programs: 24 million points to burn!
Posts: 1,509
Originally Posted by s2kdriver80 View Post
Did the popup explain why they weren't going to honor the bonus? Did it explicitly mention that it was because of too many open cards or that they just didn't feel like giving him the bonus?
It said something like “based on his spending patterns and past relationship with Amex”

its over boys...

Last edited by Preacher7; Jun 18, 18 at 12:27 pm
Preacher7 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 6:32 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 172
1st reject--under Amex new rule...

So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..." My heart 1/2 sunk! First CC reject ever! I've never had the Ascend, or Surpass. Currently have 3 personal Amex cards, 2 business cards-one being a charge card & a charge card for a total of 6 Amex cards. I have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months (personally I'm thinking this may be the cause of reject). Chat w/online rep, he didn't know reason-gave me # to the phone new application agent, we spent an hour on the phone and he couldn't figure out or get around the pop-up reject. Anyone has had similar issues due to Amex newly implemented rule? Any luck or ideas to get around this?
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:31 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,227
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..." My heart 1/2 sunk! First CC reject ever! I've never had the Ascend, or Surpass. Currently have 3 personal Amex cards, 2 business cards-one being a charge card & a charge card for a total of 6 Amex cards. I have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months (personally I'm thinking this may be the cause of reject). Chat w/online rep, he didn't know reason-gave me # to the phone new application agent, we spent an hour on the phone and he couldn't figure out or get around the pop-up reject. Anyone has had similar issues due to Amex newly implemented rule? Any luck or ideas to get around this?
Out of curiosity, how long had you had the two cards that you closed? Either of them closed in less than one year?

Technically you weren't rejected for the credit card - you chose not to sign up for it (rightfully so) since there was no bonus attached.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:48 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Out of curiosity, how long had you had the two cards that you closed? Either of them closed in less than one year?

Technically you weren't rejected for the credit card - you chose not to sign up for it (rightfully so) since there was no bonus attached.
Correct--not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do. And correct, the 2 cards were less than a year--1st one, I closed not due to my own reasoning but due to Amex's reps misleading info (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, I rcv'd message that says to wait so I called Amex and Rep told me because I currently have the ED Pref., they couldn't approve me for the EveryDay so I closed the ED Pref. to get the EveryDay. 2nd card I closed was 2 days ago when I called Amex for any retentions offer (received retentions for personal SPG a few months back) on the SPG bus. (1st annual coming up in Aug.) and rep tells me there's no retention offer and I decided to close it while on the call.
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:59 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,227
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
Correct--not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do. And correct, the 2 cards were less than a year--1st one, I closed not due to my own reasoning but due to Amex's reps misleading info (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, I rcv'd message that says to wait so I called Amex and Rep told me because I currently have the ED Pref., they couldn't approve me for the EveryDay so I closed the ED Pref. to get the EveryDay. 2nd card I closed was 2 days ago when I called Amex for any retentions offer (received retentions for personal SPG a few months back) on the SPG bus. (1st annual coming up in Aug.) and rep tells me there's no retention offer and I decided to close it while on the call.
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 9:13 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.
Correct on your understanding of the 2 cards (open/closed). Yes, obviously this is something new on Amex's side with their algorithm and we can all guess, but I think it's most likely closing two cards within 6 months and both cards are under a year old. As for "but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective."--that by itself may not be the culprit (IMO) as I've only done that once with Amex and I've been with them since 2003. But it's anyone's guess how their algorithm is in identifying applicants. I guess my only solution is lay low and not apply for Amex cards for a while?
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 1:04 pm
  #37  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,324
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
I guess my only solution is lay low and not apply for Amex cards for a while?
Indeed. And, I would assume, have some decent and steady usage on whatever Amex card(s) you have remaining.
84fiero is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 1:07 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by 84fiero View Post
Indeed. And, I would assume, have some decent and steady usage on whatever Amex card(s) you have remaining.
Oh yes I do and have been using at least one to two cards on monthly basis.
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 5:23 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,737
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
"but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective."--that by itself may not be the culprit (IMO) as I've only done that once with Amex and I've been with them since 2003. ?
In this (your) case once was one to many,
mhdena is offline  
Old Jun 21, 18, 5:27 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 24,478
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
Correct on your understanding of the 2 cards (open/closed). Yes, obviously this is something new on Amex's side with their algorithm and we can all guess, but I think it's most likely closing two cards within 6 months and both cards are under a year old.
The only thing new is warning you about it. A very similar policy (except it only mentions losing points rather than not being approved for a card) is almost a year old!!! Read the first post in this thread:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

and look at the date it was posted.

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards to, we may freeze Membership Rewards credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards from your account."

As I pointed out in that thread, you always have at least 13 months before you have to pay the annual fee for a second year, so why in the world keep cancelling cards before 12 months if this danger has been documented?!?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 21, 18 at 5:33 pm
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 12:57 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 172
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
The only thing new is warning you about it. A very similar policy (except it only mentions losing points rather than not being approved for a card) is almost a year old!!! Read the first post in this thread:

Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.

and look at the date it was posted.

"If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome bonus offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome bonus offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit Membership Rewards to, we may freeze Membership Rewards credited to, or we may take away Membership Rewards from your account."

As I pointed out in that thread, you always have at least 13 months before you have to pay the annual fee for a second year, so why in the world keep cancelling cards before 12 months if this danger has been documented?!?
Didn't know that before---rookie mistake! Now I know! Thanks for pointing that out! I assume you say 13 months because Amex refunds annual fees if canceled w/in the first 30 days? I'll make sure to keep that in mind with all future Amex AF cards I don't intend to keep.
TIGRIS23 is offline  
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:06 pm
  #42  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 40,021
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
....have cancelled 2 Amex cards within the last 6 months....
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
.... (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, .....
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
Didn't know that before---rookie mistake!.....
If I understand the timeline correctly your original Everyday Preferred application was after July 2017. If that's accurate, those restrictions were in the terms at the time you applied, and you could have known. I realize it's tedious, but it really is important to READ the terms of card offers before you apply, because they do change. After awhile you'll come to know where to read carefully, and where to skim. It's also worth knowing that once in awhile a restriction does not appear in the offer, but is displayed with the application, so keep reading even after you click [Apply].
mia is online now  
Old Jun 22, 18, 7:48 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 7,364
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
So this just happened yesterday as I was trying to sign up for the Hilton Ascend and I got that pop up that states "...based on your history with Amex...you are not qualify for this sign up bonus..."

... not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do.
It would seem that Amex's algorithm is pretty good in this case - it caught exactly what it was intended to.
Diplomatico likes this.
Steve M is offline  
Old Jun 26, 18, 11:42 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,653
My plat annual fee is coming up July 20, but new SPG luxury card is coming out August 1. I was going to close it but now will wait because closing may hurt my chances and since I have 30 days anyway.
slickvik is offline  
Old Jun 26, 18, 2:47 pm
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,052
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
My plat annual fee is coming up July 20, but new SPG luxury card is coming out August 1. I was going to close it but now will wait because closing may hurt my chances and since I have 30 days anyway.
This. Just let the AF posted and take action 2 weeks after that and you still have 1 week to 10 days before the due date to pay the AF. Keep in mind if you wait for the full 30 days you would need to pay the AF first as for sure the due date is only 21 to 24 days from the posting date which generally is the statement closing date.
Happy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: