Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
It seems Amex is getting more and more “sophisticated” about identifying applicants who mainly are interested in SUB and perhaps card features, but are not actually putting any spend on their cards. Not saying that this applies to you - their algorithm could very well exclude you for another reason (or due to a bug).
I would suspect that Amex thinks I'm a low value customer. I have seven accounts open right now, most of them for many years. But I put very little spend on them, outside of the original SUB spending, coupon book items, and Amex offers. And I always pay the bill on time and in full.

I've been trying to work on that over the past two years, putting more spend on cards, making sure cards don't go inactive, etc. I think I'm ready to just accept that Amex doesn't want to give me as many lucrative SUBs in the future.

It's strange to me that they wouldn't want to lob Aspire cards to anyone who wants one/several, with that giant annual fee... but I guess I can't fight it.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
....seven accounts open right now
How many of these are credit cards vs charge cards?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
How many of these are credit cards vs charge cards?
Four, so I theoretically should have room for at least one more.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Just want to vent. Why doesn't Amex want our family to have the Aspire card with a bonus?

For months now, no matter what links I use, I get the pop up. Finally tried with my wife's account, who has never had any Amex Hilton card that I can recall, and same thing.

We seem to both be out of jail for any other card we want but not the Aspire.
There was a comment in Doctor of Credit that has the NLL application link; NLL should bypass popup jail.

Doctor of Credit post.

Here is the comment.
prgboy and Sandeep1 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by robchow
There was a comment in Doctor of Credit that has the NLL application link; NLL should bypass popup jail.

Doctor of Credit post.

Here is the comment.
Can confirm this. Was always getting the popup for the last year or so and then applied for the recent 250k biz plat offer with link w/ NLL and magic, no popup.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:38 pm

Doctor of Credit post.

Here is the comment.
Worked for me too
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:32 pm

Maybe I'm too cautious... these kind of un-sourced links seem like a trap... but it's rare to see any reports of these triggering RAT reviews, I guess?
notquiteaff and SPLP007 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Originally Posted by Schnit
Worked for me too
Sorry, did not work for me.
But the application did not say right away that I do not qualify for the welcome bonus. Instead, it wanted me to call an AMEX agent (very cofused) who said that because I already have 2 AMEX cards, I will not receive any welcome offer.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by prgboy
....AMEX agent (very cofused) who said that because I already have 2 AMEX cards, I will not receive any welcome offer.
Call again. There is no such rule.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold

Doctor of Credit post.

Here is the comment.

I tried the route in the comment and got a "This offer is no longer available" message.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 8:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by dwcatty
I tried the route in the comment and got a "This offer is no longer available" message.
This is the message that American Express displays when someone who has not been targeted tries to apply for a targeted offer.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 4:36 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Ok, well, I have not been targeted. I was looking at moving from my current Amex Hilton Surpass card to the Aspire card, which I have never held. Amex is running a 175,000 point SUB for new cards, but when I tried to apply online, and when I called, I was told I was not elegible for the bonus. I can go through my Surpass account and "request an upgrade" and they try to sell me on all the perks of the Aspire card, but no SUB. I spent $18k on the Surpass card last year, $41k the year before, and also have a Delta Biz Amex. Is there any way for me to get the SUB on the Aspire card?

We're going on a big trip early next year. I've looked at the perks from the Aspire card and could use them to our advantage. But without the 175,000 points the card is less attractive. If they won't give me any bonus I'm thinking of keeping my Surpass until I get past the $15,000 spend point and earn a free night cert. If I then move to the Aspire I get another free night cert. But I'd really like the points, too.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Thank you, mia.

Well, I was going to call -- but AMEX called me first the very next day. The agent wanted to know that I applied and asked for sending additional information via the web form, to which I was poinded through a lik in my e-mail. AMEX wanted to have my SSN (really an ITIN) verified and also see my visa. After I sent it, nothing happened for a week, except for an e-mail sending they received my documents.

Today, I called in to ask what is happening. I spoke to four different agents. They wanted to verify my name (as my profile also contains a prefix to the name) and address (which I recently changed, and they noted that...). Different agents asked me about this several times. They also asked about my military status (!). When I was vocal about being surprised with them asking, they said that they ask everybody.

A few minutes after respoding it all on the phone, I received an e-mail saying I was approved.

After I received that e-mail, i called in to ask about the sign-up offer. Again, talking to four different agents... They could not find anything about to being NOT qualified, so they said that I am qualified.

I already tried the card, using PayPal and it worked. Perhaps I should update here after reaching the $2000 to let you know if I did get the 100.000 Holton points or not. Wish me luck :-)

Last edited by prgboy; Apr 13, 2024 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 15, 2024, 5:52 am

I have 2 amex hilton which currently have been downgraded to the free one since I got the bonus. I have upgraded multiple times when they offer me bonus to do that. One of them is currently offered 50k 3k spend for surpass, I didn't take it. I look at Aspire 175k bonus right now and choose to apply a new card for that instead. I got approved and got no pop up informing me I'm not eligible for that bonus. Can I assume I will get that 175k points after I meet my spend? For those 2 other Amex Hilton I had previously, Should I just keep them open or will it be better if I closed them instead? Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2024, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Taikucing
I have 2 amex hilton which currently have been downgraded to the free one since I got the bonus. I have upgraded multiple times when they offer me bonus to do that. One of them is currently offered 50k 3k spend for surpass, I didn't take it. I look at Aspire 175k bonus right now and choose to apply a new card for that instead. I got approved and got no pop up informing me I'm not eligible for that bonus. Can I assume I will get that 175k points after I meet my spend? For those 2 other Amex Hilton I had previously, Should I just keep them open or will it be better if I closed them instead? Thanks
Yes, if you didn't get any pop up letting you know otherwise you should be eligible for the 175k SUB once spend is met.

For the 2 Hilton cards you have, it depends if you need those slots to be able to open other cards in the near future. Personally I would move the credit line from at least one of them to the new Aspire and close it as there is really no point in having 2 of those cards.

Last edited by friedablass; Apr 16, 2024 at 10:19 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.