Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Received an upgrade 60k points offer from PRG to Plat. I had plat in the past, am i still eligible?
if i upgrade to plat, can i apply PRG a month later? I am thinking to have both plat and PRG.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bidu
[left]Received an upgrade 60k points offer from PRG to Plat. I had plat in the past, am i still eligible?
Does the upgrade offer include any language disqualifying current or previous Platinum cardholders?

if i upgrade to plat, can i apply PRG a month later?
You can apply, but you will not be eligible to receive a new account bonus.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 8:11 am

I got the too many cards pop up a while ago. I have since then switch to putting more spending on each of my AMEX cards including ones I have not used in a while. After a few months I will try applying again. Has anyone successfully gotten off of the blacklist?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mileshound
I got the too many cards pop up a while ago. I have since then switch to putting more spending on each of my AMEX cards including ones I have not used in a while. After a few months I will try applying again. Has anyone successfully gotten off of the blacklist?
Several instances reported on another forum, some of them apparently coincident with increased spending on AMEX cards.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:02 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
There are two different pop-ups, IIRC. One that notifies you that you are disqualified because you've had the card previously and another that notifies you that you won't get the bonus based upon your previous AMEX history of opening/closing cards, etc.

Either way, the applicable pop-up should appear before you actually submit the application. And, although this feature is relatively new, I've yet to see an instance where someone applied, didn't get the pop-up, and was denied the bonus. Still early, granted.
I did in fact get a "you've already had the Preferred Rewards Gold" pop-up when trying to apply for the new Gold Rewards card and bailed on the app. It did not give any indication of whether I might also have a more general issue with getting Amex sign-up bonuses.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA
Applied for the Everyday through a referral link and got the dreaded popup. First time ED, opened a BRG in Sept 2016 and Surpass in Apr 2017, both still open. Some spend on the BRG (~$3k over the past year) but zero on the Surpass now Aspire. Urgh.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by gameover98
Applied for the Everyday through a referral link and got the dreaded popup. First time ED, opened a BRG in Sept 2016 and Surpass in Apr 2017, both still open. Some spend on the BRG (~$3k over the past year) but zero on the Surpass now Aspire. Urgh.
AmEx is getting unpredictable now. It wants to see some activities. But it is a chicken and egg thing. Chase is like it too.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
AmEx is getting unpredictable now. It wants to see some activities. But it is a chicken and egg thing. Chase is like it too.

Agreed. Question being, how much activity is enough? Number of transactions, or amount? (IE: 3 $10 transactions,or 10 $3 transactions? Per month, bi-monthly?)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:29 pm

Was getting the pop up consistently since August. Started using a card in early October - about 20 transactions totaling $200 and 15 days later I was approved for a platinum card.
jiaogulan and robchow like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by mmax1
Was getting the pop up consistently since August. Started using a card in early October - about 20 transactions totaling $200 and 15 days later I was approved for a platinum card.
Similar DP for me!

Background
:
I have been opening Amex cards for over 10 years. General kept for 1-2 years in a sock drawer, although a couple held onto for several years due to upgrades & no fees.
September - popup ineligibility for Hilton Aspire & Hilton Business card although never having opened those cards before.
I began to put spend on personal & business cards I hold in mid-Sept. Anywhere from 1 small transaction around $20 to almost $2,000 in multiple transactions (all legit, no MS). 1 week later - still getting pop up.
5-6 weeks after spend - auto-approved for Hilton Business card.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Similar DP for me!

Background
:
I have been opening Amex cards for over 10 years. General kept for 1-2 years in a sock drawer, although a couple held onto for several years due to upgrades & no fees.
September - popup ineligibility for Hilton Aspire & Hilton Business card although never having opened those cards before.
I began to put spend on personal & business cards I hold in mid-Sept. Anywhere from 1 small transaction around $20 to almost $2,000 in multiple transactions (all legit, no MS). 1 week later - still getting pop up.
Does that last part mean that 5-6 weeks later you applied for the Hilton Business card and the pop-up did not come up so you technically qualify for the SUB?

The pop-up does not mean that you can't get approved for the card, but that if you are approved you will not receive the SUB.

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I do not trust this. There are no T&C that state if you didn’t get the pop up that you definitely qualify for the bonus. The T&C are so stacked in AMEX’s favor that I will believe the bonus when I see it.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:07 pm

Similar DP for me!

Background
:
To clarify: you only put spend in mid-Sept and nothing between the 5-6 weeks. Is this correct? If so, maybe closing statement with the spend is needed?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by halamadrid
Does that last part mean that 5-6 weeks later you applied for the Hilton Business card and the pop-up did not come up so you technically qualify for the SUB?
Correct

Originally Posted by robchow
To clarify: you only put spend in mid-Sept and nothing between the 5-6 weeks. Is this correct? If so, maybe closing statement with the spend is needed?
Throughout those 5 weeks I made an effort to put some spend on all of my 5 or 6 Amex pers/biz cards. Statement close dates were all over the place - so yes, that could be a theory that the statements needed to close before I didn't have the pop up saying I wasn't eligible for the sign-up bonus.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:25 am

Correct

Throughout those 5 weeks I made an effort to put some spend on all of my 5 or 6 Amex pers/biz cards. Statement close dates were all over the place - so yes, that could be a theory that the statements needed to close before I didn't have the pop up saying I wasn't eligible for the sign-up bonus.
I did the same thing. I put spend on 1 no annual fee card that was in the drawer and spend on a card I met then min for the bonus earlier in the year. Nothing over $500 but a lot of swipes. After 2 weeks I tried and still got the pop up then after 4 weeks I tried again and got auto approved. Also of note, I have been using the ED card but almost exclusively at supermarkets so I had some AMEX activity before the pop up. It is just a guess but I think spending on the card I got the bonus on earlier in the year and then stopped using was more impactful then using the dormant no annual fee card I have had for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.