Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:39 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm inclined to chalk it up to the fact that the offer in question was a NLL offer (no lifetime language.) Plenty of reports of people obtaining multiple bonuses on a given card when using offers that do not contain the "once in a lifetime" bonus exclusion terms.
I think we all agree that I got the bonus because it was an NLL offer -- question is whether I was sent the targeted NLL offer because I had tried to apply and gotten the "you've already had this card" message and gave up, or if it was just a coincidence that Amex sent me the NLL offer shortly after I did that.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
I think we all agree that I got the bonus because it was an NLL offer -- question is whether I was sent the targeted NLL offer because I had tried to apply and gotten the "you've already had this card" message and gave up, or if it was just a coincidence that Amex sent me the NLL offer shortly after I did that.
Ah, misread/misunderstood the context of the reply. D'oh!
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Correct. American Express has sent a reply, but not an explanation. American Express is a mass market company; they can send that reply to anyone. It reiterates the terms of the offer, but it does not explain which portion justifies your denial.

Don't be distracted by this. It's not important. American Express is not claiming that you had the card previously. They are merely making the point that there are several grounds for denial. Make them tell you the specific reason that your bonus was denied.
Thank you. Yes I will follow up as you advised - hope that leaving feedback to CFPB is sufficient since that's the only recourse left on CFPB.

In the past 24 months, only 1 closed AMEX card, and 1 AMEX bonus received (card still open), and I have a few long-standing AMEX accounts, so definitely surprised to see the pop-up.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'm inclined to chalk it up to the fact that the offer in question was a NLL offer (no lifetime language.) Plenty of reports of people obtaining multiple bonuses on a given card when using offers that do not contain the "once in a lifetime" bonus exclusion terms.

(Edit: misunderstood the context of your reply, as clarified by bgriff. Sorry about that, Thunderroad.)
No problem at all! It's easy to lose the thread in some of these threads.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
I would be inclined to think just a coincidence because those targeted offers are probably generated weeks before you made the attempt to apply, and then just sent out in batches.

Nobody has cracked the codes on how to increase the chance to get targeted, let along trigger one.

In the past 2.5 years I have received 2 PRG targeted offers and 1 the current Gold offer with the latter while I am still owning the PRG from the 2nd targeted offer. All of them NLL. I did not take the offer of the current Gold. It just feel odd to apply with an existing account of the same product. Though I have read that some people have applied, AND received the bonuses. The key is the NLL and that is all the system goes by I suppose. My husband has not ever received a targeted offer of PRG. Yet his targeted Delta offers are far better than what I have received.

I also got 150K upgrade offer to Ascend while his was to Aspire. Took several more months before he then received an email for the same Ascend upgrade offer. We have not taken any. No reason to do when no plan to stay at international full service Hilton properties the next 6 to 9 months.

I would say, enjoy the targeted offers when they come, but not be bothered by that if they dont.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
So I just tried applying for the new gold Amex via a referral link from spouse. I got the pop up window saying something like “based on my history with Amex…not eligible for welcome bonus” etc etc. So I canceled the app. The last card I signed up for was June 2017 (blue plus business card); still use it. Would the following history be the problem? Seems a little strict. If you all think it might be that I’m AU on another gold, I’ll call them and ask. If you think it’s the other stuff, I’ll just let it go.

Current AU on a gold personal (since 2005)
Current AU on a plat personal (since 2014)
Opened Plat Biz 1/2017, canceled after a year
Upgraded Gold Biz to Plat Biz 2/2017 canceled after a year
Current SPG Biz opened 3/2016
Opened Plat personal 1/2015 canceled after 2 years
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
So I just tried applying for the new gold Amex via a referral link from spouse. I got the pop up window saying something like “based on my history with Amex…not eligible for welcome bonus” etc etc. So I canceled the app. The last card I signed up for was June 2017 (blue plus business card); still use it. Would the following history be the problem? Seems a little strict. If you all think it might be that I’m AU on another gold, I’ll call them and ask. If you think it’s the other stuff, I’ll just let it go.

Current AU on a gold personal (since 2005)
Current AU on a plat personal (since 2014)
Opened Plat Biz 1/2017, canceled after a year
Upgraded Gold Biz to Plat Biz 2/2017 canceled after a year
Current SPG Biz opened 3/2016
Opened Plat personal 1/2015 canceled after 2 years
Three cancellations in 3 years. Obviously you are not putting too much stuff on SPG Biz (who does these days) - most likely you are dead to Amex, unfortunately.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by levistrauss
Three cancellations in 3 years. Obviously you are not putting too much stuff on SPG Biz (who does these days) - most likely you are dead to Amex, unfortunately.
Correct re SPG Biz. But I’m putting maybe 20k/yr on the Blue Biz. Maybe you’re right re 3 cancels. Though it was over several years and two of them I’d had 2+ years. If that’s the issue, then the rule seems very tight.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I see, I did not see Blue Biz listed in the post that I responded to.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by levistrauss
I suspect the upgrade / downgrade route may be flagged, as you may have done one too many on your Plat cards.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I suspect the upgrade / downgrade route may be flagged, as you may have done one too many on your Plat cards.
Yes, I imagine you’re right. But it was such a great run! 250k between 3 cards.
levistrauss likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 10:43 pm

So how long do y’all think Amex will hold the grudge?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Who knows. I think we're all trying to figure out the Amex Penalty Box. If I were you I'd put some decent spend on the SPG Biz you have for a couple months and try again. The pop up seems to be correlated to spend, and for some reason the BBP doesn't seem to be working for you.
Happy and Diplomatico like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Do/did you have any large balances outstanding on your cards when you applied? There have been reports that folks with large yet-to-be-paid off balances at the time of application are getting denied. (It's all speculation, though, as krazykanuck mentioned.)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:13 pm

Do/did you have any large balances outstanding on your cards when you applied? There have been reports that folks with large yet-to-be-paid off balances at the time of application are getting denied. (It's all speculation, though, as krazykanuck mentioned.)
I did not. I always pay before due date. Maybe had 2k on a card that wasn't due yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.