Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by mia
...but note that different fares may be available if you call, rather than rely on the website.
Ok I will keep that in mind, thank you!
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Looking at the above facts, what do you think would lead Amex to believe that they'd any extra spend from you overall by adding the Hilton No Fee card, considering that you already have a Suprass card?
Yeah, it would be very surprising if AMEx let you double-dip by giving you sign-on bonus for Surpass Card one year then gave another bonus for no-fee Hilton card the next year.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by evergrn
Yeah, it would be very surprising if AMEx let you double-dip by giving you sign-on bonus for Surpass Card one year then gave another bonus for no-fee Hilton card the next year.
I know someone who did that and got approved. Same situation as me. Actually worse. They don’t spend as much on Hilton hotels on the card. I spend more. So why them and not me?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I know someone who did that and got approved. Same situation as me. Actually worse. They don’t spend as much on Hilton hotels on the card. I spend more. So why them and not me?
A better question might be "why either?" When did the other person get approved, vs your attempt? If yours was later, perhaps Amex has improved their algorithm. From the reports here, it definitely seems that there has been some fairly recent tweaking of the criteria used to generate the "no bonus for you" pop-up, and that it's not nearly as simplistic as it used to be.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Steve M
A better question might be "why either?" When did the other person get approved, vs your attempt? If yours was later, perhaps Amex has improved their algorithm. From the reports here, it definitely seems that there has been some fairly recent tweaking of the criteria used to generate the "no bonus for you" pop-up, and that it's not nearly as simplistic as it used to be.
Like two weeks ago? That recent of a change to the pop up algorithms?
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How reliable is the pop notice denying a bonus? Has anyone who has had a card in the past been approved for the same and not gotten the bonus?
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
How reliable is the pop notice denying a bonus? Has anyone who has had a card in the past been approved for the same and not gotten the bonus?
I wouldn't bet against it.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
We have a few anecdotal reports of bonus denials for people who did not see the Pop-Up. I doubt that the American Express system 100% reliable with every operating system, browser, security settings combination, but I am also confident that many people do not read carefully and might click thorough a warning without remembering.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I can confirm bonus denial

Originally Posted by mia
We have a few anecdotal reports of bonus denials for people who did not see the Pop-Up. I doubt that the American Express system 100% reliable with every operating system, browser, security settings combination, but I am also confident that many people do not read carefully and might click thorough a warning without remembering.
I was just denied a 50K gold personal card bonus recently with no explanation. No pop-up or any other notice that I was ineligible for the bonus. Application was directly from the american express website with my user ID logged in and my browsing to the "explore cards" tab. I have never held a personal gold or platinum card. Still "fighting it" by leveraging biz centurion customer care; not looking hopeful.
mia and Richard Berg like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Just got the popup with the Schwab Platinum targeted 100K offer. The last AmEx related thing I did was take advantage of an 100K upgrade offer from the regular SPG to SPG Luxury/Bonvoy Brilliant around a year ago; I still have that card. I also have some nominal spend (~$150-200) every month on the Blue Business card.

Oh well, I guess Chase is going to get the interchange from the large purchase I need to make.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:53 am

Data points...

My wife received the "bonus popup message" a few times in 2019. Contacted the Amex Executive Office. They flat out REFUSE to tell you the reasoning behind getting flagged. All they can say is that you have been flagged as a "rewards abuser." They also flat out refuse to tell you when that label will drop off. She waited a few months. Got approved for 2 new Amex cards. And is now flagged yet again. Oddly, while being flagged, she got approved for the Green biz card. But continued to get flagged for anything/everything else before & after that. Contacted the Executive Office once again. Same story as before. Flagged by the algorithms Amex uses. Their new CEO has a science+data background, so you can expect a whole lot more of this type of stuff in the future. They refuse to provide any specific details. She hasn't closed any accounts in well over a year -- and none less than 1yr ever. No manufactured spend. No points selling. No nonsense or games or wrong-doing of any kind. She's never had a Platinum, Platinum biz, Gold, Gold biz, or Delta card of any kind in her entire life. So it's not like she is some big churn person. We both operate/spend the exact same way. I have 10 Amex cards. No issues. Never been flagged. It's nearly impossible to figure out what the precise reasoning is behind their decisions. If they don't tell you what you're doing "wrong," then it's pretty difficult to adjust your behavior accordingly. Made that point to the Amex Executive Office. They simply do not care. They will not budge at all. No insights from them whatsoever. There is no obvious factor to point to like x/24, inquiries, spend, bonuses received, etc, etc. It's a huge mystery as far as what activity it is that gets a person flagged...how long it lasts...when/why the "rewards abuser" label drops off...etc. Amex apparently *LIKES* it that way. It seems all you can do is take a 6mon break (give or take) and then try/apply again.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
I was just denied a 50K gold personal card bonus recently with no explanation. No pop-up or any other notice that I was ineligible for the bonus. Application was directly from the american express website with my user ID logged in and my browsing to the "explore cards" tab. I have never held a personal gold or platinum card. Still "fighting it" by leveraging biz centurion customer care; not looking hopeful.
Sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted by champstar9669
Got approved for 2 new Amex cards. And is now flagged yet again.
Did she receive the welcome bonus for those 2 approved cards? Which cards were they?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:08 am

Yes, both were Hilton cards.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by champstar9669
Yes, both were Hilton cards.
The suggestion that I see most consistently, to try to get rid of the popup, is to try a period of steady spending on whatever Amex cards you have. Which isn't a guarantee even then. It's sure frustrating at times.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 84fiero
The suggestion that I see most consistently, to try to get rid of the popup, is to try a period of steady spending on whatever Amex cards you have. Which isn't a guarantee even then. It's sure frustrating at times.
Maybe they're calculating how much in the way of benefits you've used and subtracting that from the amount you've made them (AF + interchange + interest). If that's the case, some might need to put significant spend on existing cards and/or opt not to take advantage of e.g. free night certificates or airline credits--and that's something that's going to depend more on the individual cardholder than anything else.
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.