Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2023, 9:04 am

Programs: Independent
This is a really bizarre situation. I haven't opened an Amex in quite a while, and they are denying me the bonus for an EveryDay card. (Which is perhaps clever since I'm opening it to cancel my Platinum. I've never owned an Everyday with MR before, as far as I can recall.)

I love how they have a catch-all sentence that's essentially saying they can deny you a bonus for any reason they feel is appropriate.
notquiteaff and friedablass like this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by hkcj
This is a really bizarre situation. I haven't opened an Amex in quite a while, and they are denying me the bonus for an EveryDay card. (Which is perhaps clever since I'm opening it to cancel my Platinum. I've never owned an Everyday with MR before, as far as I can recall.)

I love how they have a catch-all sentence that's essentially saying they can deny you a bonus for any reason they feel is appropriate.
What’s your overall (all lenders) history of new cards in recent years? How many Amex cards do you have and how much spend do you put on them?
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
What’s your overall (all lenders) history of new cards in recent years? How many Amex cards do you have and how much spend do you put on them?
I have opened two other cards in the past 24 months, neither an Amex. Last Amex was 2019? I think? I currently have two Amex cards + a companion card (on my spouse's Platinum), with ~$10k spend across them both, and just downgraded my Delta Skymiles Platinum to a Blue a couple of months ago.

I did previously have a Blue Cash Everyday I think.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hkcj

The standard Everyday sign-up bonus is only 10k. That's at the very low end of Amex bonuses. Is it really worth worrying about?

Meanwhile, if you're not absolutely sure whether you have an EveryDay card before, I remember reading somewhere that you can ask Amex to give you a list of all the cards you've had before (which only goes back about 7 years or so at most). That way at least you can be sure whether that's the reason or not.
Old Dec 27, 2023, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The standard Everyday sign-up bonus is only 10k. That's at the very low end of Amex bonuses. Is it really worth worrying about?

Meanwhile, if you're not absolutely sure whether you have an EveryDay card before, I remember reading somewhere that you can ask Amex to give you a list of all the cards you've had before (which only goes back about 7 years or so at most). That way at least you can be sure whether that's the reason or not.
It is indeed not worth worrying about (especially since I am only opening it to keep my MR alive). Interesting to know about the option of asking about card history. I don't see much use for it though - I'm trying to simplify and the $695 AF change + new credits + loss of guests to the lounge put the Platinum below the mental effort line for me.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Positive data point to share. Back in August 2023 I got an email for a 150,000 MR bonus offer on the Amex Plat Business card. I already had the Amex Plat personal, and I had the Business Plat several years ago. The language of the offer looked like I was eligible for the bonus:

Offer Terms
You can earn 150,000 Membership Rewards® points after you make $15,000 (the “Threshold Amount”) or more of eligible purchases on your Business Platinum Card during the first 3 months of Card Membership, starting from the date your account is opened. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Employee Card Members on a single Card Account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the Threshold Amount do NOT include fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler’s checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Limit one offer per Card Account. Offer may not be combined with any other special offer. Your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment of any offers. Membership Rewards® points will be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you have met the Threshold Amount.
(my emphasis)

I'm not sure what exactly "one offer per Card Account" means, but I got the 150,000 MR bonus almost immediately in October 2023 when I hit the $15,000 spend requirement.

So, I don't think this is any sort of guarantee that you can get a second bonus for the very same Amex card you once had years ago, but it worked for me on this one. Good luck if you roll the dice.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey

So, I don't think this is any sort of guarantee that you can get a second bonus for the very same Amex card you once had years ago, but it worked for me on this one. Good luck if you roll the dice.
This was what we refer to as an NLL (no lifetime language) application. Many of us have received similar or higher SUBs for Business Platinum cards while concurrently holding the same card or even several of the same card. As long as the application doesn't have the lifetime language which excludes you from the SUB and 90+ days have passed since your last application/approval you can keep churning.

More info in this thread:
AmEx Targeted NLL cards offers
dhuey and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 2, 2024 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by friedablass
This was what we refer to as an NLL (no lifetime language) application. Many of us have received similar or higher SUBs for Business Platinum cards while concurrently holding the same card or even several of the same card. As long as the application doesn't have the lifetime language which excludes you from the SUB and 90+ days have passed since your last application/approval you can keep churning.

More info on this thread:
AmEx Targeted NLL cards offers
Thanks for that useful clarification. What a nice deal this was. I've been using the Business Plat benefit for first/business tickets which works out to about 1.5 cents per MR point. So those 150,000 points are really worth about $3000 to me.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Is there any hard-and-fast restriction on the number of Amex Plat personal accounts? Would like to have P2 apply for the MS Plat before she closes her regular Amex Plat (to avoid the popup jail), but not sure if 2 personal accounts are allowed. P2 receives a slew of Biz Plat offers every week but I know those are separate. (In case anyone is curious we are switching to the MS accounts to avoid the new AU fees)
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is there any hard-and-fast restriction on the number of Amex Plat personal accounts? Would like to have P2 apply for the MS Plat before she closes her regular Amex Plat (to avoid the popup jail), but not sure if 2 personal accounts are allowed. P2 receives a slew of Biz Plat offers every week but I know those are separate. (In case anyone is curious we are switching to the MS accounts to avoid the new AU fees)
Yes I have two personal Platinum cards (2nd was a NLL offer)
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by blitzen
Yes I have two personal Platinum cards (2nd was a NLL offer)
Is it 2 of the classic version or is 1 of them an MS or CS Plat?
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by friedablass
Is it 2 of the classic version or is 1 of them an MS or CS Plat?
2 plain vanilla platinum cards
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Datapoint and request for thoughts / experiences.

1. Tried to sign up for one of the Delta cards to obtain the improved SUB but got the dreaded pop-up "...you are not eligible welcome bonus..." --- messed around with other cards (I didn't want) to see if "blanket" denial and also received pop-up.
2. Recently closed Amex Bonvoy (January) as wasn't using this card due to having the Brilliant.
3. Opened Brilliant in Q1 2023 and overall spent c. $8K during 2023 on it --- I generally only use this when I have hotel stays.
4. Opened Bonvoy Business in Q2 2022 but put very little spending on it.
5. Have the Amex Green (which was downgrade from Platinum during COVID as reduced travel for work). Spend $100-200PCM on this card as there are better bonus categories with other cards. On other credit cards, personal spending is substantially north of $50k (but not quite $100k).

Is it likely that I am in SUB jail due to the recent closure of the Amex Bonvoy card or is it just a matter of me not utilising my limits with Amex? AND what would experienced posters suggest in terms of regaining access to SUBs -- just spend more on the Amex cards? and if so, any specific time / amounts before I try to reapply? Anything else to consider here?

Also I have an upgrade offer to either plat and gold (from my green) and oddly the gold version has eligibility limitation language but the plat does not. If you go for an upgrade does the same pop-up msg also normally appear?

Thanks in advance for sharing thoughts and experiences.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by porky73
If you go for an upgrade does the same pop-up msg also normally appear?
No, an upgrade is not a new account.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Thanks Mia.

I called Amex to understand and the telephone agent told me that she saw no upgrade offer on her system whereas I see this clearly on my online account. Is that normal? AND if I go ahead with the online upgrade, is it likely that Amex would deny me the upgrade bonus based upon the fact the agent said she could not confirm or guarantee that I would get the upgrade bonus?

Tks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.