FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jun 21, 18, 8:59 am
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TIGRIS23 View Post
Correct--not reject for the card, but the sign up bonus/perks which is mainly what we do. And correct, the 2 cards were less than a year--1st one, I closed not due to my own reasoning but due to Amex's reps misleading info (signed up for the EveryDay Preferred card--2 months later, while signing up for the EveryDay card, I rcv'd message that says to wait so I called Amex and Rep told me because I currently have the ED Pref., they couldn't approve me for the EveryDay so I closed the ED Pref. to get the EveryDay. 2nd card I closed was 2 days ago when I called Amex for any retentions offer (received retentions for personal SPG a few months back) on the SPG bus. (1st annual coming up in Aug.) and rep tells me there's no retention offer and I decided to close it while on the call.
If I'm reading your post correctly, you cancelled the ED Preferred card two months after receiving it? And you cancelled the SPG card at approximately the 10 month mark?

Obviously, I have no idea what AMEX uses in their algorithm to determine who gets the "bonus denied" pop-up but I've got to think that closing a card after only two months - while simultaneously obtaining another card - is something that doesn't look good from the AMEX perspective.