Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2023, 11:08 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
​​​​​​Worst case, you can apply for a card without the sign up bonus, and spend on that card. With the popup, you can still get approved for the card, just not the bonus.
That is one way someone can do it without any currently open Amex cards. It may be worth considering on a card with a low SUB, to re-establish a relationship and put a lot of spend on it for a few months -- the SUB you lose out on is a small one. That could get you out of jail to go after cards with the more lucrative SUBs. At least applying despite no SUB might tell their algorithm that you aren't strictly a "churner". We don't know, of course, what the exact details are of their algorithm which decides whether to put someone in pop-up jail. But one common theme seems to be spending your way out of it.
fanatic likes this.

Last edited by ziggy29; Feb 5, 2023 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:11 pm

This is really puzzling on our most recent Amex applications today. I've been in Amex popup jail for like 3 years now. Have 3 Amex cards--spends regularly on 2 of the 3. I was surprised I got denied fo the Amex Plat. (using incognito mode) stating something in the likes of: you are not qualify for this welcome offer...would you like to proceed... I thought it was just me. So I had my wife apply for the personal gold using also incognito mode and really surprised she got denied with the same statement (surprised because she was she was approved for the personal Plat. in 6/2022 and reguarly spends on that--though not as frequent in the last 3 months). Anyone have any ideas why we both got denied? Any info would be appreciated!
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Have you tried to apply without using Incognito mode?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:33 pm

Hi Mia, no I didn't as the bonus offers are significantly lower 80K vs 150k on the Plat and 60k vs 90k on the gold (being 'once in a lifetime'), not sure if I should go for the lower offer (of course it's better than no bonus but wanted to see what reasons there could be or just wait it out longer to get out of jail).
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:11 pm

Someone mentioned (don't remember which site/blog) that they tried applying for Plat 150k+$200 credit using a referral link and got the pop up -- then they tried regular Amex website for 150k bonus only (no $200 credit) and they were approved without pop up

Can't confirm but if you were using a referral link then try the regular Amex website using incognito (give up $200 credit from referral) -- if both are giving pop ups then it probably depends on how many Amex cards you opened/closed in recent yrs or you don't have enough spend on existing cards in the past few months or something else (who knows)
TIGRIS23 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 10:35 am

I was in pop-up jail for a little over a year (missed out on the Gold card Upgrade to Plat and full plat offers). poop.
Anyway, I did recently close one card (Amex Delta Gold Business) and last month applied for (and was approved) for the Blue Business Cash card. So perhaps I was at my limit of cards? I believe I had 3 personal credit cards, 2 personal charge card (Amex Green Personal), 2 Business Credit cards, and 1 business Charge card at the time I was denied.
At the time I was approved I had:
3 Personal Credit, 1 Personal Charge, and 1 Business Credit card.
But we may never know. At least they tell you before actually applying.
Old Mar 29, 2023, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hurnik
....perhaps I was at my limit of cards?
Yes, you were: ... 3 personal credit cards... 2 Business Credit cards, 3+2=5 and that's the limit.
hurnik likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Yes, I am also glad they tell you before you apply. I have 2 AMEX cards: Delta Blue (3 years) and Delta Gold (1 year).
Anticipating a significant spend which would make me qualigy for the 100K HH points bonus, I tried to sign up for the no-annual fee Hilton Honors Card.
Within a minute, it said I am not eligible for the welcome bonus offer. No pop-up, it appeared on the main page. Gave me a chane to either continue without the bonus, or cancel the application.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:13 pm

Just my data point.

Tried applying for the $95 Hilton Card and got the pop up. Not completely sure why.. customer since 2018. I have BC, Delta Reserve and Platinum cards. Opened the platinum in September 22. Ive spent close to 20k on it since then. I have tapered off my spending the past couple months and there was a two-three month span where I didnt use the BC or Delta cards, so I imagine thats why I got the pop up? I generally didnt use the Delta to begin with. Just weird cuz I actually spent a decent amount.

Ive never closed any cards, dont do any manufactured spending. Did one balance transfer with the BC when I opened it in 2018 but thats been gone for a while. Payment history is golden.

dont know if upgrades and downgrades affect anything.. Ive upgraded the BC to the BCP then downgraded it again last summer. Went from delta gold->blue->platinum->reserve. Just do it whenever I get an offer 🤷‍♀️

I guess Ill try to put some spend on all the cards and try again just before the high SUB ends in July.

Sad..
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by lpicardjr
Just my data point.

Tried applying for the $95 Hilton Card and got the pop up. Not completely sure why.. customer since 2018. I have BC, Delta Reserve and Platinum cards. Opened the platinum in September 22. Ive spent close to 20k on it since then. I have tapered off my spending the past couple months and there was a two-three month span where I didnt use the BC or Delta cards, so I imagine thats why I got the pop up? I generally didnt use the Delta to begin with. Just weird cuz I actually spent a decent amount.

Ive never closed any cards, dont do any manufactured spending. Did one balance transfer with the BC when I opened it in 2018 but thats been gone for a while. Payment history is golden.

dont know if upgrades and downgrades affect anything.. Ive upgraded the BC to the BCP then downgraded it again last summer. Went from delta gold->blue->platinum->reserve. Just do it whenever I get an offer 🤷‍♀️

I guess Ill try to put some spend on all the cards and try again just before the high SUB ends in July.

Sad..
I am experiencing the popups too and have not done any churning. I went through all my cards and found that I have not put any spend in quite some time on a Delta Gold. Why, because I put any spend that would go on the Gold on the Reserve. So to see if it helps, I put spend on the Gold.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not seeing a lot of data on the duration of the popup based on account closures trigger. Over the past 18 months I have closed 2 personal and 1 business accounts. How long do I have to wait? My other Amex accounts are used regularly.

Also I keep getting US mail offers for the Delta Gold Amex. I don't really want or need a DL card but wondering if they will also trigger the popup?
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Not seeing a lot of data on the duration of the popup based on account closures trigger. Over the past 18 months I have closed 2 personal and 1 business accounts. How long do I have to wait? My other Amex accounts are used regularly.

Also I keep getting US mail offers for the Delta Gold Amex. I don't really want or need a DL card but wondering if they will also trigger the popup?
Those targeted mail offers are generally NLL offers (No Lifetime Language), and those offers generally are not subject to the popup. You can confirm online in the full terms and conditions- if you don't see this sentence"Welcome offer(s) may not be available to applicants who have or have had this Card or previous versions of this Card.", it's an NLL offer. I just do a search for the phrase "have had" to confirm.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by fanatic
How do you get out of AMex popup jail when you already closed all AMex cards you had? Most the tips I found online mentioned started spending on inactive cards for several months could work but I have none left. I used to have the biz plat and biz hilton, no checking or saving accounts. Thank you!
Update: I opened a BCE card 4 months ago without any bonuses and have been spending $200+ monthly but I am still in AMex popup jail
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by fanatic
Update: I opened a BCE card 4 months ago without any bonuses and have been spending $200+ monthly but I am still in AMex popup jail
My personal experience is that I can't get out of jail on the personal side, but Amex is throwing one elevated, targeted business offer after another at me. I am looking at a personal Gold, and at the elevated Green offer, but no dice -- jail for both. Meanwhile, they offered me 200K on the Business Platinum and 90K on the Business Gold in targeted offers, as well as other offers on the business side. On the personal side? Nada. Bupkis.

I'd also say that while putting constant spend on the cards seems to be a part of getting out of their jail, these days that rarely seems like enough -- since SVB melted down it feels like they tightened a lot on the personal side. I've been putting roughly $2K a month on mine (Platinum and BBP) and can't get out on the personal side. I even moved some spend to 1X on the Platinum hoping it might help, but no. So now I'll keep using the BBP for spend that is 1X on the Platinum and wait until the banking sector calms down a bit to try for another bonus on a personal card. I can wait it out.
joejones, robchow and fanatic like this.

Last edited by ziggy29; Jul 16, 2023 at 4:07 pm
Old Jul 17, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Would not be surprising. It seems to fluctuate with a bank's appetite for risk, which is on the low side right now. But almost all the tightness seems to be on the personal side; they are offering me one biz offer after another like Halloween candy even as I am "incarcerated" on the personal side.
What do you mean on the personal side?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.