FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jul 16, 2023, 4:02 pm
ziggy29

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by fanatic
Update: I opened a BCE card 4 months ago without any bonuses and have been spending $200+ monthly but I am still in AMex popup jail
My personal experience is that I can't get out of jail on the personal side, but Amex is throwing one elevated, targeted business offer after another at me. I am looking at a personal Gold, and at the elevated Green offer, but no dice -- jail for both. Meanwhile, they offered me 200K on the Business Platinum and 90K on the Business Gold in targeted offers, as well as other offers on the business side. On the personal side? Nada. Bupkis.

I'd also say that while putting constant spend on the cards seems to be a part of getting out of their jail, these days that rarely seems like enough -- since SVB melted down it feels like they tightened a lot on the personal side. I've been putting roughly $2K a month on mine (Platinum and BBP) and can't get out on the personal side. I even moved some spend to 1X on the Platinum hoping it might help, but no. So now I'll keep using the BBP for spend that is 1X on the Platinum and wait until the banking sector calms down a bit to try for another bonus on a personal card. I can wait it out.

Last edited by ziggy29; Jul 16, 2023 at 4:07 pm