Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
If you sign up now will receive the new metal card. And the annual fee will post at end of first month's billing cycle, correct?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by websteth
Apparently it weighs more. 18g vs 14g

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/th...it-cards-list/
Ha! Can't wait to tell my wife. She came home for lunch and I showed her the card. She was impressed with it and picked it up. Then said "eh, it doesn't feel as heavy as the Black card".
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:40 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by tmiw
There's not actually an option to do so when you apply for an AmEx. You have to get the non-contactless one first, then wait 10 days before you can request one. I mean, it's nice that they even provide the option, but it's almost as though they're discouraging it.
If you ask to speak to fraud protection about getting one sooner they can override the 10 day waiting period.

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
If you sign up now will receive the new metal card. And the annual fee will post at end of first month's billing cycle, correct?
Yes and yes.

Last edited by mia; Apr 5, 2017 at 7:35 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I applied for my card March 31st, it came FedEx overnight on the 3rd.

This may have been reported already (I know so in another thread) that if you have the Ameriprise card.... the metal card comes with "Ameriprise Financial" in big letters on the front, instead small print on the back with the plastic card. It is a distraction from the overall beauty of it.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by gooselee
She mentioned the delay due to the metal cards and apologized that I wouldn't get the new Plat until next Tuesday, so a full week. For the Reserve, it'll show up on Friday - she did offer to overnight it but I declined. Not in a rush and would rather have USPS leave it in my locked mailbox vs. UPS drop it on the doormat.
Update to this DP. I called midday 4/3 to request a new contactless card. Was given a 4/11 estimate.

This morning (4/5) I got the "your card is on its way" message with a Fedex tracking number, estimated delivery tomorrow afternoon (4/6). However, the Fedex tracking just shows label created, so still to be seen whether Amex actually gets the card on its way today.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:53 am
C W

Originally Posted by david55
I applied for my card March 31st, it came FedEx overnight on the 3rd.

This may have been reported already (I know so in another thread) that if you have the Ameriprise card.... the metal card comes with "Ameriprise Financial" in big letters on the front, instead small print on the back with the plastic card. It is a distraction from the overall beauty of it.
Like this?
Attached Images  
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by C W
Like this?
Yes.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:02 am
C W

Originally Posted by david55
Yes.
A little odd looking, yeah. All the sans-serif fonts on the front are slightly strange to me as well. They seem to clash with the detailing around the corners and the classic motif.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:37 am
C W

Amex Metal Platinum With and Without Contactless Compared

I have just received the contactless metal version while I got my non-contactless metal card on Monday.

Direct comparison is interesting. The EMV chip is significantly larger on the contactless version, otherwise the fronts are identical.

The backs of the cards are very different, however. Naturally, the contactless version has the contactless logo in the lower righthand corner. On the non-contactless card the back is covered with a clear plastic coating that allows the light-reflecting nature of the stainless steel to be appreciated. On the contactless version the back cover is fully opaque with an appearance much closer to that of the old card, but less sparkly.

The back cover on the contactless card also seems to be thicker than on the non-contactless card, which in turn makes the metal part of the contactless card thinner.

The contactless card is much easier to bend and only weighs 16g, whereas the non-contactless card weighs 18g.

My contactless card also came very slightly warped. Whether this is from manufacturing or shipping is unknown.

Ultimately, the differences are small, but I do find the non-contactless to be more pleasing aesthetically and to handle. Unless you will regularly use contactless, I would recommend staying with the standard non-contactless card.

In all the images the contactless is on top.

On the image from the sides you should be able to see the white/silver plastic layer of the contactless.
Attached Images    
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by dmunz
This.

What is the draw for this (metal) card? I have the metal Chase SR and its nice but the plastic works just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW
DLM
I like the metal cards because I tend to just shove a single credit card in my back jeans pocket while I go about my day. I can't tell you how many plastic cards I've bent in half doing this. My metal cards seem to at least resist bending from my abuse.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:54 am

I have the contactless plastic card and just called to request the metal contactless - rep told me that doesn't exist. Should I just keep calling back until I get someone who knows or if I just choose 'metal card' as replacement reason online, will it ship me a contactless metal since I have the contactless plastic?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:01 am
C W

Originally Posted by manda99
I have the contactless plastic card and just called to request the metal contactless - rep told me that doesn't exist. Should I just keep calling back until I get someone who knows or if I just choose 'metal card' as replacement reason online, will it ship me a contactless metal since I have the contactless plastic?
Either will work, at least based on reports herein.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dmunz
This.

What is the draw for this (metal) card? I have the metal Chase SR and its nice but the plastic works just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW
DLM
If they were to reimburse me for the time wasted on listening to comments from store clerks about how heavy the metal card feels, I would get one.

I have the plastic and metal CSRs (same number, metal came unsolicited as a replacement, but plastic continues to work) and the metal one is in the safe. I used the metal CSP for years and should have asked for plastic then.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If they were to reimburse me for the time wasted on listening to comments from store clerks about how heavy the metal card feels, I would get one.
Not sure if i should feel lucky or left out. Been using a metal card more often then not for the past few years and no one cares. Here in the bay area you can probably throw a rock and hit a "premium" card.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Going to jump on this with the new benefits. Had a question about the wording on the page. It seems to be we have the right to check consumer credit reports but doesn't say anything about definitely will happen. And the landing page auto-fills in everything and the top says something along the lines of "First Name as valued customer it's easy to get the platinum card".

And it's very basic info and a 'submit' button.

I assume it will definitely do a hard pull on credit? Not that it is a huge issue but like to keep track of the number of those. Have an auto loan and working on a new house in the last 90 days so just want to keep some track of hard pulls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.