Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:43 pm

Has anyone taken it through a metal detector yet? My CSP doesn't set it off so I generally leave my wallet in my pants but I wonder if I'll start having to put it in my bag with a heavier metal card.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:00 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Has anyone taken it through a metal detector yet? My CSP doesn't set it off so I generally leave my wallet in my pants but I wonder if I'll start having to put it in my bag with a heavier metal card.
I've seen a number of posts with this concern and in all honesty it really confuses me.

I mean this totally earnestly:

Do you actually leave your wallet in your pants going through security? I can't remember ever doing so. Most checkpoints have backscatter machines now anyway
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by C W
Most checkpoints have backscatter machines now anyway
People with PreCheck can go through the regular metal detectors and not the backscatter machines. ^

Also, for a few years (?) after 9/11 they were also asking for your ID when you exited the metal detector, meaning you either kept your wallet on you or you kept your ID in your hands until you completely went through.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow
I'm not much of a contactless payment user so I may be missing something, but if you're going contactless why wouldn't you use Apple Pay (or the Android equivalent) over a contactless card? Everything I've read indicates paying with phone is much more secure than the card since it generates a one time use CC# for each purchase.
no data connection
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:06 pm
C W

Originally Posted by tmiw
People with PreCheck can go through the regular metal detectors and not the backscatter machines. ^

Also, for a few years (?) after 9/11 they were also asking for your ID when you exited the metal detector, meaning you either kept your wallet on you or you kept your ID in your hands until you completely went through.
Thanks for the explanation!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:08 pm
C W

Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer
no data connection
Apple Pay works without any data connection. It works in Airplane Mode.

I discovered this when desperately trying to a buy a Prague tram ticket from a contactless only machine and was stunned and delighted when it worked.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer
no data connection
Apple Pay doesn't need a data connection at all. Android Pay, however, does need to phone home occasionally for new tokens. I think you can use it for up to 24 hours before you have to connect to WiFi or cell data. No idea about Samsung Pay or the others.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
No issues at ORD today.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Apple Pay works without any data connection. It works in Airplane Mode.

I discovered this when desperately trying to a buy a Prague tram ticket from a contactless only machine and was stunned and delighted when it worked.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Apple Pay doesn't need a data connection at all. Android Pay, however, does need to phone home occasionally for new tokens. I think you can use it for up to 24 hours before you have to connect to WiFi or cell data. No idea about Samsung Pay or the others.
i had no idea, just assumed it was a real time process as I use Android Pay. It's never worked here in the US without data (at least the couple scenarios in the grocery store where data was spotty)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:55 pm

AMEX metal arrived today, and it's pretty nice. The envelope inside the UPS envelope was pretty heavy. Delivery method was UPS Next Day Air Server.

Card was requested 03/30/2017, and was subsequently delayed with no timeline. AMEX sent an email SA night with UPS tracking#.

Last edited by radiolarian; Apr 3, 2017 at 11:41 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
So what's the deal with some of the metal cards are EMV capable and some aren't? I ordered on 3/30 like most people did and got the non-EMV version, while I am seeing some DPs on that others did get the EMV.

Was it completely randomized distribution? Should I contact Amex and ask for another one?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:11 am
C W

Originally Posted by Explorer789
So what's the deal with some of the metal cards are EMV capable and some aren't? I ordered on 3/30 like most people did and got the non-EMV version, while I am seeing some DPs on that others did get the EMV.

Was it completely randomized distribution? Should I contact Amex and ask for another one?
Seems that if you already had an EMV card you will receive a metal card with EMV. Otherwise you must specifically request it. If you just requested a replacement card you may get some pushback about requesting another card so soon and be told that there's a 10-day minimum for security reasons. Ask for Fraud Prevention to override that.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Explorer789

I'm honestly surprised that Amex is still issuing anything without EMV. They upgraded all my cards over the past year or two without me even asking, IIRC.

Hopefully when my card comes it will be both EMV and contactless. That was my intent - definitely do not want to give up EMV just to get contactless.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:54 am

Just to be clear, the contactless cards have the contactless symbol on the back correct? I ordered a contactless card (plastic) and it arrived today, however there was no EMV symbol anywhere. I contacted customer service and they said that a contactless card was issued, but I don't think it is as there's absolutely no indication of it anywhere. So I ordered a metal card with contactless. I'll wait and see. In the mean time I shredded the new card since there's no added value for me.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JMWEEZ
Just to be clear, the contactless cards have the contactless symbol on the back correct?.
Correct, and I had the same experience, three attempts to physically receive a contactless card. In the first instance I think the CSR did not know the difference between EMV and contactless, but in the second instance I think the order was simply fulfilled incorrectly - it appears the system is set to "replace" a card with the same features, and a feature change would be a different path.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.