Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Mine is a replacement card. I don't care what it is made of. I'm leaving on a trip very soon and it was guaranteed to be delivered before I left. Now it's not.
Have you asked if they could speed through a plastic one?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Metal Card Delivered

The metal card delivered today. Disappointed it doesn't have the contactless logo on the back. Same as described by points guy. No numbers on the front except years of being a member, security 4 code, full name laser etched in black. On the back, card number, security 3 code number, and expiration date laser etched.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Have you asked if they could speed through a plastic one?
Yes I did and was told they are behind due to the metal card replacements. They can't guarantee a delivery date.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:26 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
The metal card delivered today. Disappointed it doesn't have the contactless logo on the back. Same as described by points guy. No numbers on the front except years of being a member, security 4 code, full name laser etched in black. On the back, card number, security 3 code number, and expiration date laser etched.
How's the weight? Is it metal surfaced or plastic surfaced like CSR/CSR?

Any pictures?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
pictures please!

although i expect a plethora from the bloggers any hour now
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne
I was just told by a Rep that all who called in yesterday and was told they'd have the cards today will not get them. I said I wanted to cancel my card and was told by the retention department it would be here tomorrow. I really doubt it, but will give them 24 hours.
yeah, i called at 9:30 am and the website/rep said i'd get it today but i never got a tracking #
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Called customer service and they said expect the new card to be delayed by at least a week.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nicksta
Called customer service and they said expect the new card to be delayed by at least a week.
And all this for another $100 a year. Good job anticipating demand, AMEX.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Originally Posted by C W
How's the weight? Is it metal surfaced or plastic surfaced like CSR/CSR?

Any pictures?
I tried to take pictures but they are turning out just like the ones on the web. The thing that the pictures don't show is that the metal is not flat. It has ridges and valleys. You can feel the amex logo, the soldier's face and different impressions of the ink. It does feel heavy but I used my wife's old letter scale and it shows about under an oz but the scale is 41 years old.

It feels thicker than the plastic card but side by side to the plastic it's the same thickness. You can bend it if you wanted to but does need more effort than the plastic one and after awhile, the plastic one feels so flimsy after handling the metal one for even only a few minutes. It does reflect light but not much. The card looks lighter grey in bright light and darker grey in darker light.

The back is smooth except for the laser engravings of the card number and security code.

They also provide a heavy paper return envelope if you are replacing a metal card for disposal. The new metal card envelope didn't have much except the return envelope, the letter the metal card is attached to and a terms and condition sheet.

Last edited by miketravelparty; Mar 31, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:28 pm

no card delivered, no notification why. did online chat with amex and the guy said i should have it within 5 days... if they did not even ship it, they could have atleast sent me an email. the website still says expected today. pretty poor rollout for a "premium" card
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Spoke with CSR and she said that all of the cards are delayed by 5 days due to overwhelming demand, regardless of the carrier that delivers it.

Was told I'd have mine by Friday, April 7.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Called AMEX on March 30th to request a replacement card. My magnetic strip doesn't work all the time (only seems to be an issue with AMEX). CSR says "call back tomorrow as we are giving out the metal cards". Called back the next day, CSR says he send one out. Notice the CSR did it via the slow method and not UPS overnight (based on email confirmation I got later). Now I login and the website says my card is delayed with no new ETA.

Does AMEX not want people spending money on their cards?

I'll just put all my spend on my chase sapphire reserve I guess
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sintaku
Wow, calling from the app was near instant and didn't even require any authentication.

I'm actually really liking the faster pickup and response times for amex now. Loving the app as well.
Agreed. I was very impressed by how easy and quick the new contact options are from within the app.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 6:28 pm

for those looking for pics, heres an "unboxing" vid:

Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The unboxing video makes it look pretty nice. Looking forward to a new piece of wallet candy, since the Plat still isn't a great card to actually put much of my spend on

Last edited by krazykanuck; Mar 31, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.