Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GiantCow
I'm not much of a contactless payment user so I may be missing something, but if you're going contactless why wouldn't you use Apple Pay (or the Android equivalent) over a contactless card? Everything I've read indicates paying with phone is much more secure than the card since it generates a one time use CC# for each purchase.
TfL currently doesn't work with US AmEx cards in the mobile wallets but US contactless cards do.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I didn't care about the metal card one way or another, but reading these threads made me realize that Amex has apparently been expanding contactless for a while. Here I was thinking it had been done away with when my old Blue Cash card went to EMV.

Called in to get both my Plat and DL Reserve changed to contactless - I didn't even mention the metal card. CSR seemed to know exactly what I was asking for and went through the security codes, etc.

She mentioned the delay due to the metal cards and apologized that I wouldn't get the new Plat until next Tuesday, so a full week. For the Reserve, it'll show up on Friday - she did offer to overnight it but I declined. Not in a rush and would rather have USPS leave it in my locked mailbox vs. UPS drop it on the doormat.

If I remember, I'll report back with what they actually end up sending me.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by GiantCow
I'm not much of a contactless payment user so I may be missing something, but if you're going contactless why wouldn't you use Apple Pay (or the Android equivalent) over a contactless card? Everything I've read indicates paying with phone is much more secure than the card since it generates a one time use CC# for each purchase.
I've been in multiple stores here in the United States that don't (or at least purport not to) accept Apple Pay, but which still have NFC contactless POS terminals. In those cases, it's purely about saving the tenth of a second it takes to tap versus swiping. It's not a game changer for me, but it's nice sometimes.

It also almost invariably causes the cashier at those places to say, "Oh! I didn't know you could do that."

Last edited by jhartvu; Apr 3, 2017 at 3:03 pm Reason: reword to make more sense
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by jhartvu
I've been in multiple stores here in the United States that don't (or at least purport not to) accept Apple Pay, but which still have NFC contactless POS terminals. In those cases, it's purely about saving the tenth of a second it takes to tap versus swiping. It's not a game changer for me, but it's nice sometimes.

It also almost invariably causes the cashier at those places to say, "Oh! I didn't know you could do that."
What are examples of places that take contactless but Apple Pay does not work?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by some dude
What are examples of places that take contactless but Apple Pay does not work?
It's not that it doesn't work per se, but more that it's not officially supported. Because of a lack of official support, there'll be nothing showing on the terminal despite the NFC radio actually being turned on. With a physical card in one's hand, cashiers generally know to enable the terminal in those cases (vs. getting pushback from them if you try to use a phone).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:26 pm

I'm slightly confused - are people saying that there are two versions of the new metal card, an NFC enabled one and one lacking NFC?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by camhabib
I'm slightly confused - are people saying that there are two versions of the new metal card, an NFC enabled one and one lacking NFC?
Yes, and just like the plastic one, you have to call and specifically request contactless.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by tmiw
With a physical card in one's hand, cashiers generally know to enable the terminal in those cases (vs. getting pushback from them if you try to use a phone).
It's usually this last point that stops me from trying Apple Pay at stores that don't specifically have the sign in place. Usually a cashier will claim that the terminal isn't set up for "usin' your phone to pay," and rather than try to force the point, I'll just use my physical card.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:20 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by camhabib
Originally Posted by JMWEEZ
Yes, and just like the plastic one, you have to call and specifically request contactless.
It might take a few tries or some insistence. It took me two reps before they would send me a contactless metal card. Supposedly arriving on Thursday
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Lufthansa, United, SPG Gold
I received mine today. I had a contactless one before and asked for a new one on Thursday Apr 23rd early morning. This one is contactless as well.

My initial impression is that the card itself is indeed a substantial upgrade from the plastic ones. It is definitely wallet candy that I appreciate. I travel internationally quite frequently and I can assure US holders that this is going to be ENVIED outside the US. Furthermore, if this is only a US roll-out for now, doubly so.

This is a silly upgrade that probably brings $0 value with expenses, but I definitely appreciate it very much. I think it will be another 20 or 30 years to see an upgrade like this.

Last edited by MrShyGuy; Apr 3, 2017 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, RBC Rewards, British Airways Avios, American Airlines Aadvantage
Is this supposed to come to all AMEX holders in other countries you think? I wonder if they plan on bringing it to Canada considering we pay $700 for our card. It would make sense.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I just received mine and I have to say it is beyond my expectations. It looks very nice, I would say it is the best looking card I have at the moment (I have 39 credit cards).
It is a good balance of solid metal and plastic. Much better than the CSR and the Ritz.
Ritz is 100% metal, it has that "wow" factor but it is bulky and makes a lot of noise when you hit something and it is very heavy. I dont carry it with me because of that.
The CSR is more plastic than metal, it feels plastic, looks plastic, weight a little big more. So its okayish...
The Amex Platinum has the best of both. It was a shiny metal-looking face with a cover of plastic I believe that makes it not sound like a piece of metal, but have a good balance of weight and solidness that is similar to the Ritz card BUT without being annoyingly heavy and bulky. When you hold the ritz and the amex platinum next to each other they both feel the same in term of bending (meaning really solid). When you hold the CSR next to the amex platinum the CSR looks like a cheap plastic toy.

Overall 10/10 IMHO
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:22 pm
C W

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I just received mine and I have to say it is beyond my expectations. It looks very nice, I would say it is the best looking card I have at the moment (I have 39 credit cards).
It is a good balance of solid metal and plastic. Much better than the CSR and the Ritz.
Ritz is 100% metal, it has that "wow" factor but it is bulky and makes a lot of noise when you hit something and it is very heavy. I dont carry it with me because of that.
The CSR is more plastic than metal, it feels plastic, looks plastic, weight a little big more. So its okayish...
The Amex Platinum has the best of both. It was a shiny metal-looking face with a cover of plastic I believe that makes it not sound like a piece of metal, but have a good balance of weight and solidness that is similar to the Ritz card BUT without being annoyingly heavy and bulky. When you hold the ritz and the amex platinum next to each other they both feel the same in term of bending (meaning really solid). When you hold the CSR next to the amex platinum the CSR looks like a cheap plastic toy.

Overall 10/10 IMHO
Good work!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by pmich
Is this supposed to come to all AMEX holders in other countries you think? I wonder if they plan on bringing it to Canada considering we pay $700 for our card. It would make sense.
$700 USD or CAD? Bc $700CAD is actually cheaper than the new annual fee for US cardholders...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:26 pm
C W

Originally Posted by kthpence
$700 USD or CAD? Bc $700CAD is actually cheaper than the new annual fee for US cardholders...
True, but foreign fees can be a lot. Germany is €600 or $640ish. Glad I have the US version.

Can't see why they wouldn't roll out internationally in time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.