Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
I guess that I am missing the desperate urgency to get the metal card
This.

What is the draw for this (metal) card? I have the metal Chase SR and its nice but the plastic works just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW
DLM
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:44 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by JBAeroEngineer
so the new metal card isn't NFC/Contactless capable?
This seems to be the case.

I specifially asked a customer service rep and she said that it is on Amex's radar but they don't have a date.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:45 am
C W

Originally Posted by dmunz
This.

What is the draw for this (metal) card? I have the metal Chase SR and its nice but the plastic works just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW
DLM
It's shiny.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by C W
This seems to be the case.

I specifially asked a customer service rep and she said that it is on Amex's radar but they don't have a date.
damn, i should have kept the plastic NFC one...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If American Express' card fabricator had the ability to make a metal card with contactless I expect it would have been made available for Centurion cardholders. Those of us who want the contactless feature can use another American Express product -or- it may be possible to order a free Gold card on the Platinum account with contactless.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
If American Express' card fabricator had the ability to make a metal card with contactless I expect it would have been made available for Centurion cardholders. Those of us who want the contactless feature can use another American Express product -or- it may be possible to order a free Gold card on the Platinum account with contactless.
the plastic Plat has contactless...
just don't "upgrade"
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
the plastic Plat has contactless...
just don't "upgrade"
That may only delay the problem. It appears that American Express will automatically send metal replacement cards:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by mia
That may only delay the problem. It appears that American Express will automatically send metal replacement cards:
Seems so. My plastic was good through 2021 though haha. Oh well. Was great for London...
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I have the suspicion that AmEx isn't all that serious about contactless anyway. They only seem to mention anything about it on americanexpress.com/chip, which is a URL that's seemingly only provided in card mailers and not accessible by clicking through from their homepage. If you don't hang out on FT or another credit card forum you'd likely never know they offered it as an option.

Fortunately there's just enough demand spread across their entire card lineup such that it's worth the extra cost to issue them. Otherwise, they'd probably never have brought the feature back when they rolled out EMV.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:55 am
C W

Has anybody tested to see if the metal card has the "AMEX" lettering that glows under UV light?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I have the suspicion that AmEx isn't all that serious about contactless anyway. They only seem to mention anything about it on americanexpress.com/chip, which is a URL that's seemingly only provided in card mailers and not accessible by clicking through from their homepage. If you don't hang out on FT or another credit card forum you'd likely never know they offered it as an option.

Fortunately there's just enough demand spread across their entire card lineup such that it's worth the extra cost to issue them. Otherwise, they'd probably never have brought the feature back when they rolled out EMV.
I just received my metal card, and I can confirm it has the contactless logo on the back. I haven't tested out contactless, but this is a big win for when I travel to London if it works.

My chip is also big (but different in design to my contactless plastic one).

Last edited by Sintaku; Apr 3, 2017 at 9:12 am
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Sintaku
I just received my metal card, and I can confirm it has the contactless logo on the back. I haven't tested out contactless, but this is a big win for when I travel to London if it works.
This is promising news!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

General point still stands, but it's still nice that it's an option on the metal cards. ^
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:19 am

Seems so. My plastic was good through 2021 though haha. Oh well. Was great for London...
A lot of countries had a similar system to London in terms of a touch in/out for traveling on public transport, but so far out of Japan, Sydney, Melbourne and Singapore they all use their own systems. Heck, Singapore/Japan wouldn't allow reloading a balance with a card.

I wish contactless became universal and I could just use it everywhere, it was a pain to reload money onto my Opal card in Sydney and have a balance on it when I left.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:44 am
C W

Can you post a picture? Did you specifically request metal contactless?

I asked and was told it was unavailable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.