Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:42 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by BarryL
Just called to get my metal card. Was told contactless wasn't available for metal card. Thought this was a bit odd. I'll just wait and re-order in a few weeks. I have a wallet that blocks RF.
This is wrong. Try again and you'll get it.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Swiping is being phased out at a rapid pace now, so you're going to have to use a different payment method regardless by either dipping or tapping your card. You most certainly have every right to do what you're comfortable with, though.
Sorry - I wasn't specifically meaning swiping the magstrip. I was using "swipe" more universally to mean presenting a physical credit card vs. presenting my cell phone.

Regardless of whether it's swipe/dip/tap, I prefer to perform that action with a card, not a phone. Purely personal preference.

Besides, at the rate most US merchants are moving, it's kind of a crap shoot whether you'll be able to use contactless vs. chip vs. magstripe in any given place. Presenting your phone gives only one option which the merchant may not support. Presenting a physical card allows for all three.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

This thread hosts discussion of the new metal card fabrication. Discussion of other features of the personal Platinum card has been moved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...fee-550-a.html

Last edited by mia; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:54 am Reason: Moderator action
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Received. Nice presentation and came 1-2 days faster than I thought it would. Very nice weight and it feels very nice.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:26 pm
C W

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Received. Nice presentation and came 1-2 days faster than I thought it would. Very nice weight and it feels very nice.
Did you get a wooden box?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C W
Did you get a wooden box?
Outer thick cardboard box. Open to a wooden presentation with the card sitting down inside the cut-out of the wood. Impressive.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:57 am
C W

Outer thick cardboard box. Open to a wooden presentation with the card sitting down inside the cut-out of the wood. Impressive.
Both my metal replacement and contactless metal replacement came stuck to a piece of paper

I want the box, I wonder if I can request it specifically.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
Originally Posted by C W
Both my metal replacement and contactless metal replacement came stuck to a piece of paper
Same here. Not that I necessarily need another box to gather dust, but I'm curious as to why there's an inconsistency on delivery methods for the same card.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: DL, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA, AmEx Plat, R-C
I asked for a box also, and was told new accounts only
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:08 am
C W

Originally Posted by Cameron Webb
I asked for a box also, and was told new accounts only
What a great way to treat loyal cardmembers who've been paying the fee for years
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: Honors, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Marriott/SPG/R-C, AmEx Plat, R-C
Angry

Absolutely!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:41 am

It's not really a 'box'. See below. This is the welcome kit.

Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinanm3atl/, on Flickr

Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinanm3atl/, on Flickr
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Weird. At least you can throw it in the fireplace!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:47 am
C W

It's not really a 'box'. See below. This is the welcome kit.
Nice pictures. Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Nice pictures. Thank you.
Not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.