Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by brillb
So my question after reading this whole thread - does anyone know how to get a plastic card again? I thought I was good for another 5 years but my number was stolen so Amex had to replace - and the new card I got is naturally metal. Except I don't want metal, and I'm being told there's no option for plastic. Clearly there must be some option - I just want the same plastic card as the rest of the world has, I don't need to "show off" with a metal card. And more importantly, I need to walk through a metal detector on a regular basis without a problem.

Does anyone know someone I can call or write to get a plastic card again?
You should be able to make it through a metal detector just fine. Your wallet should be put in a bin when going through security at the airport anyways. Even then, I don't think this card is heavy enough to set off the detector, but I could be wrong. My metal Chase Amazon Prime card didn't set the detectors off.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
You should be able to make it through a metal detector just fine. Your wallet should be put in a bin when going through security at the airport anyways.
As I've mentioned before, they were asking for ID immediately after the metal detectors for at least a few years after 9/11. Having one's wallet in the bin would not help with that. Granted, I haven't seen them ask in a very long time.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
You should be able to make it through a metal detector just fine. Your wallet should be put in a bin when going through security at the airport anyways. Even then, I don't think this card is heavy enough to set off the detector, but I could be wrong. My metal Chase Amazon Prime card didn't set the detectors off.
There is no rule which says your wallet has to be in a bin, nor should there be if it is full of paper and plastic. Additionally, you've assumed I mean at the airport, certainly many of the metal detectors I encounter are at airports, but many others are not, and the end result is that a metal card is a problem for me. So my question is, does anyone know if it is possible, and if so how to request, a plastic card?
Old May 7, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
There is no rule which says your wallet has to be in a bin, nor should there be if it is full of paper and plastic. Additionally, you've assumed I mean at the airport, certainly many of the metal detectors I encounter are at airports, but many others are not, and the end result is that a metal card is a problem for me. So my question is, does anyone know if it is possible, and if so how to request, a plastic card?
Everything that's in your pockets has to go in the bin, but I won't apply an argument here as it doesn't have to do with the thread topic in hand.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
As I've mentioned before, they were asking for ID immediately after the metal detectors for at least a few years after 9/11. Having one's wallet in the bin would not help with that. Granted, I haven't seen them ask in a very long time.
You hand the TSA rep your ID right before you go through the metal detectors, I don't see how that's logical. Anything and everything that's in your pockets goes in the bin... Your wallet is something that goes in your pocket. You should be going through the metal detectors with nothing but your pants, shirt, socks, and underwear.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You hand the TSA rep your ID right before you go through the metal detectors, I don't see how that's logical. Anything and everything that's in your pockets goes in the bin... Your wallet is something that goes in your pocket. You should be going through the metal detectors with nothing but your pants, shirt, socks, and underwear.
That rule is for the millimeter wave machines IIRC. People with PreCheck don't use those last I checked. Never mind all the places other than airports with metal detectors as mentioned above.

To answer the original question, I wonder if a plastic card could be obtained by saying that one is needed for the stores that still do imprints. Those don't seem to be all that common these days but you never know.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...how to request, a plastic card?
You can request a free Gold card on your personal Platinum card account. It will be plastic, but for benefits such as lounge access you will need the physical Platinum card.

You can try to talk your way past the front line customer service agents, and I expect this will need to be done on a weekday during regular EDT business hours to find someone with the authority to issue a plastic Platinum card.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Everything that's in your pockets has to go in the bin, but I won't apply an argument here as it doesn't have to do with the thread topic in hand.
This doesn't apply to WTMDs. I frequently carry wallets, papers, chapstick, etc. in my pockets, and leave my belt/shoes/glasses on when going through WTMDs in all sorts of venues.

Originally Posted by mia
You can request a free Gold card on your personal Platinum card account. It will be plastic, but for benefits such as lounge access you will need the physical Platinum card.

You can try to talk your way past the front line customer service agents, and I expect this will need to be done on a weekday during regular EDT business hours to find someone with the authority to issue a plastic Platinum card.
This. I think going back to a plastic Plat card might be pretty difficult at this point, unfortunately, but a Gold card will work for the most part.

As others have said, though, the metal card hasn't given me any issues yet with a few different WTMDs - a couple airports, a sporting event, and a courthouse so far since I've had it. Certainly my belt has more metal in it than a credit card.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: US Airways, American, United, Alaska, Delta, Hilton, Marriott
No more platinum contactless cards

Per Amex customer service this evening - we don't offer the platinum card in contactless anymore.

Very odd, seeing as they accepted my request for one on Sunday... but that's not what showed up in the mail. When I called and asked why the card I got was not contactless, after about fifteen minutes on hold she came back and told me they don't make them anymore.

So my question to the forum is... Is this just this one CSR's policy or is Amex USA just not issuing contactless platinum cards anymore?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:18 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by zowwie
Per Amex customer service this evening - we don't offer the platinum card in contactless anymore.

Very odd, seeing as they accepted my request for one on Sunday... but that's not what showed up in the mail. When I called and asked why the card I got was not contactless, after about fifteen minutes on hold she came back and told me they don't make them anymore.

So my question to the forum is... Is this just this one CSR's policy or is Amex USA just not issuing contactless platinum cards anymore?
You got a misinformed CSR. See the wiki for contactless details. There is also extensive discussion in the thread.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Does the old plastic card still work once you get a metal version? I still have my plastic Platinum that I want to have the option of using should I need it.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Does the old plastic card still work once you get a metal version? I still have my plastic Platinum that I want to have the option of using should I need it.
Yes, it will work. I have both versions of the Amex Platinum card. I carry only the plastic one since I was flagged for extra screening several times boarding a cruise ship. The third time, the screener and me figured out is was the metal Chase Sapphire card.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:49 pm

When getting contactless on plastic it was a pain originally, I think it took 3 tries. It's probably a misinformed CSR. A lot of people assume that metal means no contactless.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sintaku
When getting contactless on plastic it was a pain originally, I think it took 3 tries. It's probably a misinformed CSR. A lot of people assume that metal means no contactless.
It doesn't help that AmEx doesn't market it all that much to the general public, either. The average person would only find out it was an option if they managed to see the slip of paper pointing to americanexpress.com/chip and actually visited that page (which they very well might not if they assume the AmEx chip card works like any other one). It's no wonder CSRs forget about whatever training they're given on those if people aren't asking for them in the first place.

I'd say that it should be included by default but I actually had contactless on my SPG decline the other day so that might not be a good idea just yet.
Old May 12, 2017, 10:59 pm

It would be great if half of the customer service reps had a clue. No wonder they're sliding in the JD Power rankings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.