Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by websteth
Finally had a chance to try it but, contactless works just fine.
Is every metal card contactless, or you have to request a specific metal contactless card?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kthpence
Is every metal card contactless, or you have to request a specific metal contactless card?
AmEx doesn't send out contactless by default, metal or no. (I think they should, IMO, but a lot of people might freak out if they did. Also, it may interfere with getting people to use mobile wallets, which is what it seems like the major issuers want us to move towards.)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
What exactly is the point of the contactless cards? I use Apple Pay wherever it's accepted and, when that's not possible, I use a physical card. In the latter case, it makes no difference to me whether a card is contactless or not - if I have to pull out the card instead of my iPhone, I don't see that the mechanics of card manipulation matter a whit.

What am I missing?
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Corsair66
What exactly is the point of the contactless cards? I use Apple Pay wherever it's accepted and, when that's not possible, I use a physical card. In the latter case, it makes no difference to me whether a card is contactless or not - if I have to pull out the card instead of my iPhone, I don't see that the mechanics of card manipulation matter a whit.

What am I missing?
I use it to pay transit fares. I don't particularly like waving my phone around on Chicago transit, but also the contactless card is faster than phone pay.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
Originally Posted by manda99
I use it to pay transit fares. I don't particularly like waving my phone around on Chicago transit, but also the contactless card is faster than phone pay.
Interesting. I think I'd prefer to use my phone (which is unremarkable, as everyone has one) in a crowd security situation, rather than open my wallet and expose my various gold and platinum cards to view.

I've never known Apple Pay to require more than a few seconds to process. Contactless may be very slightly faster, but that's not enough to convince me to switch.

Good info, though; thanks!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:06 pm

Interesting. I think I'd prefer to use my phone (which is unremarkable, as everyone has one) in a crowd security situation, rather than open my wallet and expose my various gold and platinum cards to view.

I've never known Apple Pay to require more than a few seconds to process. Contactless may be very slightly faster, but that's not enough to convince me to switch.

Good info, though; thanks!
I've had my phone stolen on the CTA L, so I'm probably more hesitant than many. I do use apple pay occasionally, but the simple tap is definitely a quicker process. I usually have my contactless card in a separate card pouch that hangs on the outside of my purse and just tap the pouch on the scanner. Most men seem to just tap their wallet and go. It might only be a half a second, but there's a delay with the phone popping up the app and reading your thumb that just doesn't happen with a card tap and when you're in a huge rush of people, it feels like your inconveniencing everyone behind you.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had my phone stolen on the CTA L, so I'm probably more hesitant than many. I do use apple pay occasionally, but the simple tap is definitely a quicker process. I usually have my contactless card in a separate card pouch that hangs on the outside of my purse and just tap the pouch on the scanner. Most men seem to just tap their wallet and go. It might only be a half a second, but there's a delay with the phone popping up the app and reading your thumb that just doesn't happen with a card tap and when you're in a huge rush of people, it feels like your inconveniencing everyone behind you.
If you double-tap on the Home button just before going through the turnstiles, the phone will bring up Wallet with your default card and finish Touch ID verification. It should make things a lot faster in transit situations.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:20 pm

What am I missing?
Honestly, I thought the same thing, but after living in France for the past 2 years, I find contactless to be super efficient and quicker than the new chip debacle that's happening here in the US. It takes forever for the chip readers to work, and then you have to sign (what's the fricken point of signing nowadays??) and then the machine literally beeps aggressively at you.

I'd rather just simple tap my card on the machine and walk out ...
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:25 pm

Honestly, I thought the same thing, but after living in France for the past 2 years, I find contactless to be super efficient and quicker than the new chip debacle that's happening here in the US. It takes forever for the chip readers to work, and then you have to sign (what's the fricken point of signing nowadays??) and then the machine literally beeps aggressively at you.

True, the chip readers are slow and frustrating. I've only had to sign occasionally, so there's an inconsistency there, too.

I suppose I'd be more interested in contactless if Apple Pay weren't already so convenient. I'd rather pull my phone out of my front pocket than unbutton my rear pocket, take out my wallet, slide out the desired card, and then tap it on the reader. One step vs. four.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... then you have to sign (what's the fricken point of signing nowadays??)
The chip authenticates the card. The PIN or Signature authenticates the user.

...than unbutton my rear pocket, take out my wallet, slide out the desired card, and then tap it on the reader. One step vs. four.
If you were in the habit of using a contactless card you wouldn't store it in your wallet in your back pocket.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If you were in the habit of using a contactless card you wouldn't store it in your wallet in your back pocket.
OK, where else would one keep such a card? All of my other cards are in my wallet and the notion of keeping one or more in a separate location doesn't appeal. I'm still having trouble imagining what I'd gain from a contactless card over Apple Pay. It seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...where else would one keep such a card?
One idea was mentioned earlier in the thread:

... I usually have my contactless card in a separate card pouch that hangs on the outside of my purse and just tap the pouch on the scanner. ....
When I am in Miami I do the same. My contactless transit card, a small amount of cash, and one credit card are stored in a tag attached to my bag. I carry other cards in a wallet on my person, but never in my back trouser pocket.

In UK I carry the same wallet, but instead of the bag tag I use a combination wallet/moneyclip to carry my contactless card and currency.

In any event, no one is suggesting that you, personally, should pay with a contactless card, rather than a phone. We're just explaining that it's useful. Not everyone has a smartphone, and no one who has one uses all of its capabilities.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
In any event, no one is suggesting that you, personally, should pay with a contactless card, rather than a phone. We're just explaining that it's useful. Not everyone has a smartphone, and no one who has one uses all of its capabilities.
This. And trust me, I tend to be very skeptical of new payment technology.

Contactless is definitely a convenience thing for me on transit systems, vending machines, and similar that allow it. And while yes, I could get the same function out of Android Pay, something still just feels "weird" about paying with my phone. I don't even think I'll be getting the free $15 out of the Android Pay Amex offer I just got, because I feel that weird about paying for stuff with my phone.

Yes, I could look more into it and go through all the various technical aspects and security things and stuff...but at the end of the day I'm just more comfortable swiping my card vs. a phone. Definitely wouldn't begrudge anyone else for making the opposite choice.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it's kinda disappointing that the rollout was so botched, especially since we could have copied a lot of the stuff other countries did and saved a lot of hassle. It's gotten better but I don't think we're going to want to do any other transition (like axing signatures) any time soon as a result--if ever.

I also have a suspicion that a significant minority of merchants will never upgrade unless chip's made mandatory, but that's another discussion.

True, the chip readers are slow and frustrating. I've only had to sign occasionally, so there's an inconsistency there, too.
No more inconsistent than it was before the chip. If anything, I've noticed that I've had to sign more often than in the past.

Originally Posted by gooselee
Contactless is definitely a convenience thing for me on transit systems, vending machines, and similar that allow it. And while yes, I could get the same function out of Android Pay, something still just feels "weird" about paying with my phone. I don't even think I'll be getting the free $15 out of the Android Pay Amex offer I just got, because I feel that weird about paying for stuff with my phone.
Self-checkouts help a lot with that. (Too bad some retailers seem to be getting rid of them, at least around here.)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by tmiw
It's gotten better but I don't think we're going to want to do any other transition (like axing signatures) any time soon as a result--if ever.
I get so irked by the signature requirement. It is such a worthless piece of security, and I can't imagine any rational person feels better knowing he or she has to sign for a purchase. At least at a gas station, I have to put in my ZIP code. I long for the Chip-and-PIN that's so common in Europe--at least a PIN offers some level of security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.