Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Going to jump on this with the new benefits. Had a question about the wording on the page. It seems to be we have the right to check consumer credit reports but doesn't say anything about definitely will happen. And the landing page auto-fills in everything and the top says something along the lines of "First Name as valued customer it's easy to get the platinum card".

And it's very basic info and a 'submit' button.

I assume it will definitely do a hard pull on credit? Not that it is a huge issue but like to keep track of the number of those. Have an auto loan and working on a new house in the last 90 days so just want to keep some track of hard pulls.
I would assume/plan for them to do a hard pull, and then be pleasantly surprised if they do not.

When I've upgraded/downgraded accounts, I've been able to do so without a hard pull. But applying for a brand new account, even as an existing Amex customer in good standing, has always resulted in a hard pull for me.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gooselee
I would assume/plan for them to do a hard pull, and then be pleasantly surprised if they do not.

When I've upgraded/downgraded accounts, I've been able to do so without a hard pull. But applying for a brand new account, even as an existing Amex customer in good standing, has always resulted in a hard pull for me.
What I assumed. Thanks for quick reply.

I think as an existing SkyMiles Plat they just have my info and in theory look at account and see if I'm good so the wording is left loose.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:12 pm

I received my metal card via UPS today. The metal card, as did my previous plastic card, has the contactless feature. Since I only received the plastic contacless about a week before the announcement of the new metal card, I haven't had the opportunity to use the contactless feature yet.

So, this may be a dumb question, but where exactly is the NFC transponder located on the card? Is it below the contactless logo on the back or is it somehow integrated into the EMV chip?

And, I guess secondarily, does accuracy (in regards to location of the transponder) even matter when waving the card over an NFC payment terminal? Or will it be ok as long as you are "close"?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen
I received my metal card via UPS today. The metal card, as did my previous plastic card, has the contactless feature. Since I only received the plastic contacless about a week before the announcement of the new metal card, I haven't had the opportunity to use the contactless feature yet.

So, this may be a dumb question, but where exactly is the NFC transponder located on the card? Is it below the contactless logo on the back or is it somehow integrated into the EMV chip?

And, I guess secondarily, does accuracy (in regards to location of the transponder) even matter when waving the card over an NFC payment terminal? Or will it be ok as long as you are "close"?
The transponder is inside the EMV chip. There's a copper coil attached to it that goes around the card that acts as the antenna, so as long as you're close it should work. We don't know yet if the card being metal affects the range, however.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
The transponder is inside the EMV chip. There's a copper coil attached to it that goes around the card that acts as the antenna, so as long as you're close it should work. We don't know yet if the card being metal affects the range, however.
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the quick response! ^
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

got my metal card in the mail yesterday (requested online 3/30).

really like the new card; has much more of a "premium" feel if metal and weight = premium haha. weight and thickness are much more solid than CSR. CSR easily bends and feels flimsy compared to the plat.

nice job amex!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:40 pm

Order replacement metal cards for both my Schwab and Mercedes Platinum cards. They both arrived yesterday.
One was delivered by UPS, then less than 2 hours later, the other card was delivered by FEDEX.
I found it bizarre, amusing, and wasteful.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by tmiw
Based on the pictures a few posts up, it seems that the contactless cards actually have a plastic back still - I assume the coil is sandwiched between the metal front layer and plastic back layer. Perhaps this helps with the "transmission" if you wave the card with the back of it facing the reader?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by gooselee
Based on the pictures a few posts up, it seems that the contactless cards actually have a plastic back still - I assume the coil is sandwiched between the metal front layer and plastic back layer. Perhaps this helps with the "transmission" if you wave the card with the back of it facing the reader?
I would say it is more like a sticker across the back than a plastic back. It's More like a heavy stock than plastic in my opinion.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by websteth
I would say it is more like a sticker across the back than a plastic back. It's More like a heavy stock than plastic in my opinion.
Gotcha. But still, that means that the contactless transmission possibly does not have to go through metal at all, right?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:44 am
ayn

With all these contactless talks I am tempted to request a metal contactless card, can I use contactless anywhere NFC is used? Like places that accept Apple Pay now? I guess the main reason to get it is for those traveling to UK coz the transit takes NFC payments but not Apple Pay (yet)?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:48 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by websteth
The contactless card has a distinctly plastic back that is much thicker than the back on the non-contactless card. Pictures here.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:48 am

I requested a damaged replacement, mine had developed a small crack anyways due to the way my wallet is. The website didn't specify a metal card or not so I'll have to wait and see if its metal or not.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:01 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by dascc
I requested a damaged replacement, mine had developed a small crack anyways due to the way my wallet is. The website didn't specify a metal card or not so I'll have to wait and see if its metal or not.
They are only sending metal cards now.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:06 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ayn
.. main reason to get it is for those traveling to UK coz the transit takes NFC payments...
The Underground is only an example. Contactless payments are widely accepted in the UK, and this makes paying with a Chip & Signature card easier than otherwise. I forced myself to use Android Pay for two full days on the Underground, and it was a nuisance. I often had to touch more than once, or input a password/PIN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.