American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)


Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 5, 17, 12:47 pm
  #211  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
Going to jump on this with the new benefits. Had a question about the wording on the page. It seems to be we have the right to check consumer credit reports but doesn't say anything about definitely will happen. And the landing page auto-fills in everything and the top says something along the lines of "First Name as valued customer it's easy to get the platinum card".

And it's very basic info and a 'submit' button.

I assume it will definitely do a hard pull on credit? Not that it is a huge issue but like to keep track of the number of those. Have an auto loan and working on a new house in the last 90 days so just want to keep some track of hard pulls.
I would assume/plan for them to do a hard pull, and then be pleasantly surprised if they do not.

When I've upgraded/downgraded accounts, I've been able to do so without a hard pull. But applying for a brand new account, even as an existing Amex customer in good standing, has always resulted in a hard pull for me.
gooselee is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 12:49 pm
  #212  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,038
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I would assume/plan for them to do a hard pull, and then be pleasantly surprised if they do not.

When I've upgraded/downgraded accounts, I've been able to do so without a hard pull. But applying for a brand new account, even as an existing Amex customer in good standing, has always resulted in a hard pull for me.
What I assumed. Thanks for quick reply.

I think as an existing SkyMiles Plat they just have my info and in theory look at account and see if I'm good so the wording is left loose.
dinanm3atl is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:12 pm
  #213  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 235
I received my metal card via UPS today. The metal card, as did my previous plastic card, has the contactless feature. Since I only received the plastic contacless about a week before the announcement of the new metal card, I haven't had the opportunity to use the contactless feature yet.

So, this may be a dumb question, but where exactly is the NFC transponder located on the card? Is it below the contactless logo on the back or is it somehow integrated into the EMV chip?

And, I guess secondarily, does accuracy (in regards to location of the transponder) even matter when waving the card over an NFC payment terminal? Or will it be ok as long as you are "close"?
HockeyCoachBen is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:28 pm
  #214  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,465
Originally Posted by HockeyCoachBen View Post
I received my metal card via UPS today. The metal card, as did my previous plastic card, has the contactless feature. Since I only received the plastic contacless about a week before the announcement of the new metal card, I haven't had the opportunity to use the contactless feature yet.

So, this may be a dumb question, but where exactly is the NFC transponder located on the card? Is it below the contactless logo on the back or is it somehow integrated into the EMV chip?

And, I guess secondarily, does accuracy (in regards to location of the transponder) even matter when waving the card over an NFC payment terminal? Or will it be ok as long as you are "close"?
The transponder is inside the EMV chip. There's a copper coil attached to it that goes around the card that acts as the antenna, so as long as you're close it should work. We don't know yet if the card being metal affects the range, however.
tmiw is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 2:36 pm
  #215  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
The transponder is inside the EMV chip. There's a copper coil attached to it that goes around the card that acts as the antenna, so as long as you're close it should work. We don't know yet if the card being metal affects the range, however.
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the quick response! ^
HockeyCoachBen is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:31 pm
  #216  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 483
got my metal card in the mail yesterday (requested online 3/30).

really like the new card; has much more of a "premium" feel if metal and weight = premium haha. weight and thickness are much more solid than CSR. CSR easily bends and feels flimsy compared to the plat.

nice job amex!
ahcjar103 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 4:40 pm
  #217  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: ATL
Posts: 784
Order replacement metal cards for both my Schwab and Mercedes Platinum cards. They both arrived yesterday.
One was delivered by UPS, then less than 2 hours later, the other card was delivered by FEDEX.
I found it bizarre, amusing, and wasteful.
bigbuy is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 5:00 pm
  #218  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
The transponder is inside the EMV chip. There's a copper coil attached to it that goes around the card that acts as the antenna, so as long as you're close it should work. We don't know yet if the card being metal affects the range, however.
Based on the pictures a few posts up, it seems that the contactless cards actually have a plastic back still - I assume the coil is sandwiched between the metal front layer and plastic back layer. Perhaps this helps with the "transmission" if you wave the card with the back of it facing the reader?
gooselee is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 5:59 pm
  #219  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Based on the pictures a few posts up, it seems that the contactless cards actually have a plastic back still - I assume the coil is sandwiched between the metal front layer and plastic back layer. Perhaps this helps with the "transmission" if you wave the card with the back of it facing the reader?
I would say it is more like a sticker across the back than a plastic back. It's More like a heavy stock than plastic in my opinion.
websteth is offline  
Old Apr 5, 17, 8:52 pm
  #220  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Originally Posted by websteth View Post
I would say it is more like a sticker across the back than a plastic back. It's More like a heavy stock than plastic in my opinion.
Gotcha. But still, that means that the contactless transmission possibly does not have to go through metal at all, right?
gooselee is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:44 am
  #221  
ayn
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 8
With all these contactless talks I am tempted to request a metal contactless card, can I use contactless anywhere NFC is used? Like places that accept Apple Pay now? I guess the main reason to get it is for those traveling to UK coz the transit takes NFC payments but not Apple Pay (yet)?
ayn is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:48 am
  #222  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by websteth View Post
I would say it is more like a sticker across the back than a plastic back. It's More like a heavy stock than plastic in my opinion.
The contactless card has a distinctly plastic back that is much thicker than the back on the non-contactless card. Pictures here.
C W is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:48 am
  #223  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 464
I requested a damaged replacement, mine had developed a small crack anyways due to the way my wallet is. The website didn't specify a metal card or not so I'll have to wait and see if its metal or not.
dascc is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 12:01 pm
  #224  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by dascc View Post
I requested a damaged replacement, mine had developed a small crack anyways due to the way my wallet is. The website didn't specify a metal card or not so I'll have to wait and see if its metal or not.
They are only sending metal cards now.
C W is offline  
Old Apr 6, 17, 12:06 pm
  #225  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,229
Originally Posted by ayn View Post
.. main reason to get it is for those traveling to UK coz the transit takes NFC payments...
The Underground is only an example. Contactless payments are widely accepted in the UK, and this makes paying with a Chip & Signature card easier than otherwise. I forced myself to use Android Pay for two full days on the Underground, and it was a nuisance. I often had to touch more than once, or input a password/PIN.
mia is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: