Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Sintaku
I just received my metal card,
Has anyone else gotten their card. I requested mine last week via WEB. Was supposed to recieve it Saturday. Tracking says that it hasn't left their facility yet but UPS label was printed..
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by C W
Can you post a picture? Did you specifically request metal contactless?

I asked and was told it was unavailable
I already had contactless. I went online and ordered a card for my damaged card. I wasn't given the option of ordering a metal card. This was March 30th morning.

I then got an email saying it was going to be delivered on Friday and UPS let me know via UPS My Choice that I was getting something. But on Friday Amex hadn't delivered it to UPS. I called in and confirmed I ordered the Metal card and the CSR said Metal with contactless is what it says for the card.

I've taken pictures of the major difference between the contactless and the normal metal card. Also the contactless chip looks different to the one I had on my plastic contactless card.
Attached Images   
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:10 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I already had contactless. I went online and ordered a card for my damaged card. I wasn't given the option of ordering a metal card. This was March 30th morning.

I then got an email saying it was going to be delivered on Friday and UPS let me know via UPS My Choice that I was getting something. But on Friday Amex hadn't delivered it to UPS. I called in and confirmed I ordered the Metal card and the CSR said Metal with contactless is what it says for the card.

I've taken pictures of the major difference between the contactless and the normal metal card. Also the contactless chip looks different to the one I had on my plastic contactless card.
Thanks very much for the photos and info!

I called again and this rep knew about the metal contactless. Should arrive Thursday
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by C W
Thanks very much for the photos and info!

I called again and this rep knew about the metal contactless. Should arrive Thursday
Glad, I could help. I was worried about contactless as I use this a lot on London Transport and I don't want to have to resort to Apple Pay or Android Pay. I really have had hit/misses with those, and I don't want a bunch of angry rushing people queueing up behind me. Contactless on the plastic Amex Platinum is amazing, it's literally a touch and go! I hope the metal doesn't interfere with the card's contactless abilities.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:36 am
C W

Glad, I could help. I was worried about contactless as I use this a lot on London Transport and I don't want to have to resort to Apple Pay or Android Pay. I really have had hit/misses with those, and I don't want a bunch of angry rushing people queueing up behind me. Contactless on the plastic Amex Platinum is amazing, it's literally a touch and go! I hope the metal doesn't interfere with the card's contactless abilities.
Very happy to hear it works well as I will be moving to London later in the year
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:44 am

Hmmm, that makes me wonder if my metal card will be contactless. I ordered contactless on the 24th of March and hadn't received it yet, but when the metal card came out I decided I couldn't resist the lure of a new shiny object and ordered metal. Hopefully the metal one will be contactless....if not, Ill order contactless. It's not so much of a big deal in Spain as there aren't many contactless readers in this part, but with frequent travel to England, it's gold.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Very happy to hear it works well as I will be moving to London later in the year
If you are living there and commuting a lot you probably will want to get an Oyster with a travel card on it, as it can get quite expensive using your contactless card at peak times. Most unmanned machines won't work with signature cards. I've had good luck on sub 20 GBP purchases at unmanned machines with my amex plat, however no luck with any of my other MC/Visa cards.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:28 pm
C W

If you are living there and commuting a lot you probably will want to get an Oyster with a travel card on it, as it can get quite expensive using your contactless card at peak times. Most unmanned machines won't work with signature cards. I've had good luck on sub 20 GBP purchases at unmanned machines with my amex plat, however no luck with any of my other MC/Visa cards.
Thanks! Much appreciated
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:35 pm

I thought they'd essentially unified the system and applied the same fare limits to repeat use of credit cards as they do with Oyster cards. Is your info current? (I've never been there with a contactless card but was just thinking about it with the reports of contactless metal!)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
I thought they'd essentially unified the system and applied the same fare limits to repeat use of credit cards as they do with Oyster cards. Is your info current? (I've never been there with a contactless card but was just thinking about it with the reports of contactless metal!)
Maximum is 7 day cap on contactless (and it is from Monday to Sunday) while the standard 7 day travel card can start on any day. Also anything for longer periods (e.g. Monthly or Annual) will require an Oyster and travel card loaded on it. https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...me?intcmp=8282
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dmunz
This.

What is the draw for this (metal) card? I have the metal Chase SR and its nice but the plastic works just fine. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

FWIW
DLM
There is no real difference. Somewhere along the way, someone decided that a metal card is a symbol of prestige. Like when you hand over a heavy card to a cashier, it's supposed to stand out and they're supposed to be impressed. Or when you toss the card on the dinner table with a plink, and your friends go "ooh". 100% ego stroking.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I received the metal card today. Mine is not contactless - I guess I'll put that request in later.

My impression - its nice, but those expecting a Centurion-lite card will be disappointed. It is slightly heavier, but dropping it on the granite counter-tops does not make a 'clink' like a Centurion card. I also think it feels like its coated in plastic.

Bottom line - its a physical upgrade that is long overdue, but I don't think many people will notice the change in daily use.

Last edited by Nicksta; Apr 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by javabytes
There is no real difference. Somewhere along the way, someone decided that a metal card is a symbol of prestige. Like when you hand over a heavy card to a cashier, it's supposed to stand out and they're supposed to be impressed. Or when you toss the card on the dinner table with a plink, and your friends go "ooh". 100% ego stroking.
And there's nothing wrong with a little ego stroking for $550 a year.

I do think the anxiety level around this does seem particularly high, mind you. I was happy to request the new card, but so long as the old one keeps working, I've no intention of tracking the replacement's movements down to the minute.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Nicksta
I received the metal card today. Mine is not contactless - I guess I'll put that request in later.

My impression - its nice, but those excepting a Centurion-lite card will be disappointed. It is slightly heavier, but dropping it on the granite counter-tops does not make a 'clink' like a Centurion card. I also think it feels like its coated in plastic.

Bottom line - its a physical upgrade that is long overdue, but I don't think many people will notice the change in daily use.
I have to agree and disagree with you.

I hate the clink sound on my ritz card. It makes me feel like I am carring a piece of metal instead of a premium credit card.

I love the new design, it is so much better than the ritz and the CSR. It is a combination of both. Solid heavy metal with plastic cover to prevent the annoying sounds all the time.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:49 pm

I'm not much of a contactless payment user so I may be missing something, but if you're going contactless why wouldn't you use Apple Pay (or the Android equivalent) over a contactless card? Everything I've read indicates paying with phone is much more secure than the card since it generates a one time use CC# for each purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.