Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I'm pretty sure Amex will authorize the recurring charges and the vendor won't know the difference. This has happened to me before on a few occasions, but it was the first time it happened that I was caught off guard. I had a recurring payment I didn't want to pay, so instead of cancelling, I just let it roll since I had downgraded my credit card to a new product (number stayed the same, but other codes changed). To my surprise I found the recurring charge on my new card. It's some kind of feature I guess.
It depends on the vendor. They have to explicitly sign up for the update services from each of the networks in order for that to be the case. Most major online stores/services probably use them but the smaller ones may be more questionable.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by tmiw
It depends on the vendor. They have to explicitly sign up for the update services from each of the networks in order for that to be the case. Most major online stores/services probably use them but the smaller ones may be more questionable.
I recently had my DL Amex Plat re-issued because of fraudulent activity (got the text just before the door closed on my SEA-AMS flight on the way to CPH).
Anyway, before I had the new card in hand, I noticed that some of my recurring charge vendors already had the new number! Magical
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:41 pm

A merchant is not allowed to store the CVV (security code), so it doesn't matter if it changes. Renewal/re-order transactions don't require re-entry of the CVV by the merchant over the gateway, only the initial transaction. If the card number itself changes, that of course is a different story. Expiration date is also not sent by the merchant on any transaction in a chain of recurring ones except the first.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Nicksta
Well, despite being told that my card would be delayed by a week, this evening I received an email from UPS telling me that the card had shipped and will be here on Monday. TBD!
I didn't get any notification, but your post prompted me to check the status online. I too have a tracking number! Will be delivered tomorrow, 4/3.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:24 am

I hadn't received any notification yet on my card status so I chatted with someone on the App. They told me my card will be shipped FedEx and I'll get an email with tracking number when available.

Edit-Recieved an email at 1am PT (Monday) this morning that the card has shipped. No other shipping info provided so I'll just look out for the FedEx truck.

Last edited by TJMAC; Apr 3, 2017 at 7:23 am Reason: Update shipping progress
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:31 am

Anyone have an idea when Apple Pay will update for the new card design?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
My experience with ups mychoice is that you have to pay every time a package is held back while you are on vacation. USPS is the only one that has free on vacation holds.
FedEx vacation holds are always free via their Delivery Manager. I've never paid for a UPS vacation hold, despite using it many times, but I always jump on the promo code for the ~$1/month premium membership. For a free membership I believe that the option to pull a particular package and deliver it later costs money with UPS, a blanket vacation hold does not. UPS' site is clear as mud about the vacation hold vs rescheduling a package.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Finally got a my choice update for delivery tomorrow. Amex of course hasn't emailed me at all since I requested the card Friday at 2am.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Finally got a my choice update for delivery tomorrow. Amex of course hasn't emailed me at all since I requested the card Friday at 2am.
haha, ordered mine at 9:30 am est and it shipped last night. i got an email however
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:03 pm

Got the email saying my replacement card is arriving tomorrow ... have no idea if it'll be metal or not, but considering the shipping was delayed, I assume it'll be the metal one.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cplush
haha, ordered mine at 9:30 am est and it shipped last night. i got an email however
Looks like mine shipped out Friday at 7pm which I guess was too late for delivery on Saturday. I'll laugh when it comes in tomorrow and it's the plastic card.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:05 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Mine should be arriving today (Monday) to Germany. Not bad

Here is an imgur gallery via doctorofcredit that has some nice pictures of the card:

https://imgur.com/a/FIvkF
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:42 am
C W

Got it around 9am.

Impressions:

Very heavy, some websites have posted weights but a good way to get a feel for it is to hold two Chase Sapphire cards together, this is about the weight of the new Plat.

Bare metal on the edges, makes a very nice metal clink. However the back seems to have thickish layer of plastic on it, rather like the coating that is on either side of a Sapphire. The front does not have the thick layer, but a very thin film it seems.

The name and security code on the front are laser engraved into the card. The numbers, expiration date, and security code on the back are done in relief, not engraved. You can feel them sticking out a little when you run your fingers over them.

The Centurion logo, "American Express Platinum," the detailing around the edges, and other aesthetic components on the front of the card are done in a combination of relief and engraving, giving a very premium and pleasing look and feel. The "World Service" globes are not textured, except within the Centurion logo.

The overlap of "Platinum" and the Centurion logo seems unnecessary with this new design as there would be plenty of room to move the logo down slightly.

Overall I think Amex did a fantastic job with the design of this new card. It is far more pleasurable to handle than than a Chase Sapphire card, and much more aesthetically pleasing to me than a CSR, although I do love the design of the CSP. It seems to be the exact thickness of the previous card, so hopefully there won't be any swiping or automated kiosk issues going forward.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:17 am
C W

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Anyone have an idea when Apple Pay will update for the new card design?
If you remove your current Amex and reenter your new metal card with the new security code and expiration date you will see the new card design.

The most obvious difference is the color of "American Express Platinum" changing from white to black.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by miketravelparty
The metal card delivered today. Disappointed it doesn't have the contactless logo on the back. Same as described by points guy. No numbers on the front except years of being a member, security 4 code, full name laser etched in black. On the back, card number, security 3 code number, and expiration date laser etched.
so the new metal card isn't NFC/Contactless capable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.