Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Fedex arrived right on time today and delivered a metal card WITH contactless, as requested. For those following along, requested Monday, 4/3 (afternoon), delivered Thursday, 4/6 by 2pm.

My card is as pictured in post #204 . The plastic back feels pretty cheap, actually, and overall I think my current plastic card looks better. Whatever - they could send me a card made out of corrugated cardboard so long as it fits in my wallet and the contactless works.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

Metal card was just delivered as well. Had a contactless card before and the metal one is also contactless.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
All this talk of metal cards finically wore me down and I ordered a replacement on the web today. Chose regular (postal) delivery rather than overnight -- I rarely actually physically use the card so I figured why hurry -- websites aren't usually impressed by a metal card
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Requested a new card last night. (damage)

Will report back on what I get.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Amex PRG, Ritz Rewards Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Mlife Platinum
I was speaking with Amex customer service on another matter on Tuesday and asked about the new metal card. The girl made it sound appealing, so I asked her to send our replacements. Although she said that high demand would result in delivery next week, ours came yesterday.

Between online purchases and Apple Pay, I rarely use the physical card anymore, so these nice, sturdy cards should survive the wallet environment well.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:20 pm
get

Quick turnaround

I placed an online order on Wed late night, shipped on Thu, delivered today (Fri), so there is no shortage anymore?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by beckoa
Requested a new card last night. (damage)

Will report back on what I get.
Got the new metal one this afternoon ^

Originally Posted by get
I placed an online order on Wed late night, shipped on Thu, delivered today (Fri), so there is no shortage anymore?
Agreed. Same experience as mine.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by get
Seems not - I requested a card replacement (metal, without contactless - I guess I'll need to request metal with contactless) on Tuesday afternoon EST, it was received to my office in CA on Wednesday morning PST.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:28 am

I ordered mine via USPS for an estimated arrival of this coming Tuesday -- got it Thursday via FedEx.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:23 am

Requested new cards for both husband (primary) and myself (AU) online. I've got contactless, he doesn't. Both arrived 2 days later via UPS, in separate packages. Strangely, husband's (again, the primary) came in just an envelope. Mine, came in a fancy box with a engraved wooden phone stand (promptly stolen by teen). And my metal is indeed contactless. ^
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by manda99
Requested new cards for both husband (primary) and myself (AU) online. I've got contactless, he doesn't. Both arrived 2 days later via UPS, in separate packages. Strangely, husband's (again, the primary) came in just an envelope. Mine, came in a fancy box with a engraved wooden phone stand (promptly stolen by teen). And my metal is indeed contactless. ^
Phone stand? That's weird.

My metal contactless just came in the standard letter envelope from Omaha (which itself was inside a normal Fedex envelope).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Phone stand? That's weird.

My metal contactless just came in the standard letter envelope from Omaha (which itself was inside a normal Fedex envelope).
I thought the stand was just for new applicants.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dascc
I thought the stand was just for new applicants.
Hah. Shows how much I've been paying attention to new account offers lately. My question would be if I could forego the stand in exchange for another 10k MR or something. But...that's a different thread, I suppose.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:49 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I really want the box/phone stand. Any idea how to get it as a "loyal cardmember"? :P
Old Apr 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Finally had a chance to try it but, contactless works just fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.