Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 9:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nall
.... I saved the content of the wiki beforehand if there's anything relevant people feel should be included.
Note that the Wikipost has a History feature which allows older material to be recovered. It's cumbersome and ugly, but it's there.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:09 pm

On 4 July paid $91 for seat selection on a flight from HNL to LAX. Went with main cabin extra which says up to 6 extra inches. I do recall paying for the extra before and I didn't notice any difference. Anyway, the fee is described as Preferred Seat Upgrade. The upgrade language seems to have not been reimbursed for others. If it doesn't automatically get refunded I'm going to contact amex as it is a seat selection within same economy class. Figure others may be interested.

Edit: Posted a day early. My tracker has decreased so expect the fee to be reimbursed despite the seat upgrade wording.
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by act0fgod; Jul 7, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Thu 4 July early morning I paid $350 co-pay for an international mileage upgrade (coach->business) using my Hilton Aspire card. After it went pending, I selected the option online to get an email alert when it had posted. Well, it posted yesterday (Sat 6 July) morning, but it wasn't until many hours later that I got my email alert that it had posted. I checked Amex again then and again early this morning and it still said I had $250 in AA incidental credit to use through the end of the year. Then after reading the post right above from act0fgod that was updated in the last hour, I decided to check Amex again right now, and now (Sun 7 July midday) finally it says in my Benefits page:

"You have used all of your $250 Airline Fee Credit for this year.
It will renew again starting Jan 2020:"

I presume that I will have to wait another day or two for the credit to actually appear, but I'm not worried anymore now that it says the above in my Benefits page.

I fear that some negative reports may be people wanting to post "too early" about success/failure, and Amex being slow sometimes, and people not always coming back later to update. For over a day, it seemed as if Amex wasn't going to give me credit, but they were just being a bit slow about it, and sometimes they're way slower than this ! So please don't rush to post negative reports without waiting "long enough". Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: The $250 credit appeared this morning (Mon 8 Jul), about one day after the benefits counter updated and about 2 days after the $350 posted.
Biggie Fries likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 8, 2019 at 8:32 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Award taxes charged to my amex triggered the credit. $50.65 each for 2 pax.
Unfortunately this did not trigger for me, put the award taxes on 2 AMEX Golds and neither were reimbursed.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
Unfortunately this did not trigger for me, put the award taxes on 2 AMEX Golds and neither were reimbursed.
What was the amount? What info does Amex show if you click for transaction details?

This is the one category that seems to be very YMMV so there's clearly some attribute we haven't identified at play here.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
US Bank FlexPerks data point.

US Bank Visa FlexPerks now shows giftcard in the item charge as well. It was reimbursed through Real Time Rewards.

Blacked our my name and a serial number for the GC

sdsearch likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
$5.60 AA award ticket fee reimbursed.

Also: AA requires the name on the credit card to match the name on the AAdvantage account. I simply typed my spouse's first name, our shared last name, and my card number. The transaction was approved.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:26 am

I booked a couple of award tickets (one with ~$49 taxes, the other with $5.60) and neither qualified for the credit. However, MCE, 500-mile stickers, and Mileage Multiplier all qualified.

Originally Posted by mia
Did yours show up as a "Passenger Ticket" or something else?

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
US Bank Visa FlexPerks now shows giftcard in the item charge as well. It was reimbursed through Real Time Rewards.
I've been seeing that on one of my Visas since at least 2017.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold

I've been seeing that on one of my Visas since at least 2017.
I redeemed roughly 9 months ago on my Altitude Reserve for AA giftcards with no indication of what was purchased. So this seems to be a semi recent change for USB
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mia

Also: AA requires the name on the credit card to match the name on the AAdvantage account. I simply typed my spouse's first name, our shared last name, and my card number. The transaction was approved.
I've had this credited too, but the credit stopped after the first time. Haven't tried it since, but, at least in my case, it appears the system learned not to credit the charge the next time.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
booked two short-haul flights, ~$140-$150 each way. Used $100 gift card for each direction and paid rest with my Amex Plat. $45 reimbursed on one flight, $40 on other doesn't show up in the counter. Bought the tickets about 20 minutes apart, so not sure why one would post over the other. Have a couple more of these in my future so hope to use the rest of my credits this way.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
booked two short-haul flights, ~$140-$150 each way. Used $100 gift card for each direction and paid rest with my Amex Plat. $45 reimbursed on one flight, $40 on other doesn't show up in the counter. Bought the tickets about 20 minutes apart, so not sure why one would post over the other. Have a couple more of these in my future so hope to use the rest of my credits this way.
Is there any notable difference in how they look, if you click on the details for the transaction?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:56 pm

Does anyone known if infant flight fees for international flights works for the incidental credit?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Is there any notable difference in how they look, if you click on the details for the transaction?
no. same pair of cities, showing name/ticket#/route and both say "Will appear on your Jul statement as AMERICAN AIRLINES 45800-433-7300 TX"
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:16 am

Airfare less than $100

What if the price of the ticket is less than $100 (ex. MIA-JAX for $58) Will the low cost airfare trigger the credit? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.