Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: In February 2019, American Airlines changed the coding of gift card transactions. Although there are a few successful data points since, in general, Gift Card purchases are now explicitly identified, and no longer reimbursed by American Express.

Reminder: you must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Data Points on automatically reimbursed incidentals since 2017:

Admirals Club Memberships: Admirals Club Passes: Admirals Club Food/Drinks: Award Cancellation Fee*: Award Taxes/Fees: Baggage*: Change Fee*: Close-In Ticket Fee*: Elite 500-mile Stickers: Elite Challenges: External Reservation Fee: Five Star Service: Infant Fees: MCE/Seat Selection: Mileage Multipler: Pet Fee*: Same Day Flight Change: Upfares: Upgrades:
Wifi is provided by one of three third-party providers and is thus not eligible for the incidental credit.

* For items not automatically reimbursed but which are not excluded by Amex, you can try and request manual reimbursement from American Express; however, you may need to wait 14-28 days first.

To review AA reimbursement reports from 2011-2016 as well as information on gift cards, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

It seems we got that credit from 2018 quota as even when i go to benefits then it is showing $100 pending thru Dec2019 quota also..
and i bought on 12/31 too like you... So it seems we can buy again now in 2019.. Correct?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
DP: Bought $200 AA card on Jan 2, today on Jan 6 meter has updated to say all credit used for 2019.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Same here and I had posted airline charges that I was waiting for a credit on. I'm going to absolutely blow a gasket on them if they screw this up.

If you saw your meter fill up, I think you have nothing to worry about. Unfortunately, for me, only have of my meter had filled. And now this headache if they screw this up.
fill up?
you mean the gauge filled with blue color?
does it mean it is already redeemed if its blue color.. but i think it does not fill up... because even for my dinein credit of $10 it shows gauge with blue color and i never used it...

for dinein = "Credit available through end of month"
for airline = "Credit Available through Dec 2019"
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

is the meter blue color before purchase ?
what is the color after purchase credit?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by desmataks
is the meter blue color before purchase ?
what is the color after purchase credit?
Yes. Green.

(Edit: on my Gold card, the meter disappears after the credit is used and verbiage to the effect that "you have used !00% of your airline credit, etc." replaces the meter.)
desmataks likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

I also bought gift card on Jan 2 and today it says I used up my airline credit for this year. But no credit has posted yet. Hopefully it'll post soon
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
DP:
Amex Aspire

1/2/19 Purchased:
$100 x2
$50 x1

1/6/19 Fee credit marked as fully used
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:22 pm

Credited in the account for the transactions made on Jan 1st - Amex Plat
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:14 pm

Reimbursed

I was reimbursed today (1-6) on 3 platinums for 6 $100 AA gift cards and 3 $50 Saks credits that were all purchased on 1-1.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I bought 5 gift cards on five different AMEX cards on first. I confirmed receipt of all 5 shortly after. Received credit next day on one plat card. Weirdly I see no charges on other 4 nor do I see credits. What’s going on there? Not in pending either

could it be the credit is instant or nearly enough to erase the charge while pending?

First time I’ve seen this, anyone else?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
.... see no charges on other 4 nor do I see credits. ....
It's possible that AA has cancelled some of all of transactions based on their own security algorithm. Check to see if the gift cards have a balance:

https://giftcards.aa.com/checkBalanceCustomer.jsp
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EC2019
Applied and approved for Hilton aspire card on 12/30... immediately called Amex to assign AA airlines. I received the confirmation email. Then a few mins later used temporary card and purchased 2x$100 gift card and $50 gift card. Per phone automated operator (cant see the transactions online since I haven’t received the card in the mail), the purchase was posted on 12/31. Still haven’t received a credit. Should I be worried?

Welcome to FlyerTalk, EC2019.

I wish you luck. One person (in the last few dozen posts) waited about an hour and it ended up posting almost a week later. But other people have had their airline credit never post because they made the purchase "too soon" after choosing the airline, and you did it "a few minutes later". So that make me worried for you.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
It's possible that AA has cancelled some of all of transactions based on their own security algorithm. Check to see if the gift cards have a balance:

https://giftcards.aa.com/checkBalanceCustomer.jsp
havent done will check. All of different cards, in appropriate amounts, but you may be right
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GundamWing01

youre fine. wait until 1/9 to get worried.
Correct! credit posted Jan. 5
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:30 pm

Purchased a bunch of $100 AA GCs on 1/1/18
Each amex card said I had used my 2019 airline credits (this was like 1/5/19)
Sunday At 8PM EST on 1/6/19 my airlines (and Saks 5th Avenue, fwiw) posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.