Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE
Current (2020) thread is HERE

FHR properties in other cities are discussed HERE

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
    • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
      • Daily breakfast for two people
        • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

ARIA Sky Suites
Upgrades: typically to a better view
Breakfast: room service, buffet or cafe, $30 per person, per day
$100 Spa: covers spa treatments (no longer includes salon)
$5.60 resort wifi fee taken off per day

Bellagio
Upgrades: one level typical; sometimes Junior Suite (really just a corner room with a little more space)
Breakfast: 2 X $30 credits per day; Cafe Bellagio, The Buffet, Palio, Cafe Gelato or Pool Cafe
$100 Property Credit - Dining: The Buffet, Cafe Bellagio, FIX, Harvest, LAGO, Lily Bar, Jasmine, Michael Mina or Petossian Bar. Spa or Salon services - no merchandise.

Four Seasons
Upgrades: typically one level
Breakfast: room service or Verandah - $60 a day
$100 Spa: Expensive services doesn't get you far.

Mandarin Oriental
Upgrades: occasional
Breakfast: room service or MOzen, enough to cover std breakfast ($30 per person) but they will charge for excess
$100 Spa: can be used treatments but also just about covers two day passes to the very cool spa
Wifi: $5.00 plus tax of the resort fee is refunded

Palazzo
Upgrades: Strip View
Breakfast: $65 total/day at Grand Lux Cafe (any time) or Room Service
$100 Spa: Not valid for express service, specials, or spa passes (changing to $100 Property credit for all booking starting 2020)

Skylofts at MGM Grand
Upgrades: rare
Breakfast: in room or at The Mansion; no apparent cap
$100 Spa:

Wynn - April 2016
Upgrades: Usually to higher floor if you book resort room and to the next room category in the tower if available if you booked a Tower Suite.
Breakfast: $60 ($30 per person) at any restaurant that serves breakfast including the buffet. Also covers in-room breakfast.
Note:Resort fees are no longer waived for Tower Suites customersWynn
The Buffet - 8-11
Tableau - 7-11:30
Terrace Point Cafe - 6-11
In Room - 5-11

Encore
Lobby Bar and Cafe - 6-11
Jardin - 7-11:30
In Room - 5-11
$100 Spa: Can be used at Wynn or Encore Spa, or either resort's Salon.
$18.99/device/day internet charge removed from bill
If selecting the basic internet charge (May 2017), $5/day is deducted from the resort fee.

Delano - Aug 2019
FHR amenity is $100 spa credit, excludes salon services (e.g. haircut), merchandise, and products.
Spa adds a 20% service fee on all services.
Daily $60 ($30 x 2 people) credits only for Della's (open 6am-2pm)
Room service specifically excluded.
Resort Fee: $41.95 plus tax, minus a $5 wifi credit (about $40 total)

Print Wikipost

FHR Experience Las Vegas Hotels only (2015 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by N_Phoenix
Overall I found the pricing of the restaurants rather pricey so that diminished the value of the credits as I wouldn't eat there out of pocket.
Where would you eat then?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I have never gotten a better rate over the phone than online. I have had to mention the online rate for the phone agent to "find" it.
Many of the (direct) booking websites now display.a warning "price valid online only; may be more if reserved over the phone".
Old May 16, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Where would you eat then?
The guy went bellagio -> delano -> bellagio to maximize his hotel food credit. I'm guessing he would have eaten at McDonald's off the value menu otherwise
Old May 26, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Deposit Policy

First, let me preface my comments here by saying I'm no stranger to Vegas, and the FHR game that exists there, and am fairly confident I know what I'm doing. I've had a lot of problems with Amex and their new online site. But, my most recent experience has really taken the cake.

I recently made two FHR bookings for Vegas. One for Delano for Labor Day weekend. The rate rules stated the following:

ROOM SPECIFIC POLICIES

Cancellation Policy
CANCEL BY 3PM AND 30-AUG-16 TO AVOID PENALTY

There was no mention of a deposit (which I thought was unusual because the first night's room and tax has been collected at every Vegas hotel I've ever stayed in for as long as I've been going there). Delano never charged me a deposit (or maybe they just never got around to it is what I'm thinking now).

Anyways, fast forward and plans have changed. Now, we're going for July 4th weekend and we book Bellagio via FHR. Rates rules state the following:

Room Restrictions and Cancellation Policy
CANCEL BY 3PM AND 28-JUN-16 TO AVOID PENALTY

No mention of a deposit. Bellagio deposit showed up on my Amex bill for first night's room and tax.

So, I called Amex to see what was going on and became the proverbial tennis ball getting tossed back and forth between Amex and Bellagio. Amex says call Bellagio. I call Bellagio and they say they always always take the deposit for FHR bookings (the representative that I spoke with was very well versed in FHR policy because she made sure the 4pm checkout annotation was in my booking).

Called back Amex and went up the food chain. Ultimately, they said they don't need to display the "Deposit Policy" because they have more generic language that covers them. Specifically, they're trying to hang their hat on "Your card will be charged per the hotel policy. These policies vary, and may include charging some or all of the total upon booking, during the stay, or at check-out." OK, point taken. But, in the past the Amex FHR site always disclosed that the deposit would be taken. If you go over to the Classic Travel site we all use for Virtuoso bookings and click on "Policies" the Deposit Policy is plain as day.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone brought this to Amex's attention? In my view, the entire Amex experience is on the decline. A policy, an important one at that, that was once displayed is no longer displayed. And, when I called, no one knew what I was talking about. They kept relying on that generic line that my card will be charged per hotel policy. Sure, I know I can cancel this reservation if I want to. But is it unreasonable to want to see the deposit policy at the time of booking?
Old May 26, 2016, 2:33 pm

I'm so used to have the first night deposit that I never checked policy for that point
Old May 26, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by CGRA
I'm so used to have the first night deposit that I never checked policy for that point
Same, just expect first night deposit, but if you need to cancel, you're guaranteed to get the deposit back, within policy. OP says he's not new to this and yet questions first night deposit? Definitely not a veteran, cause first night deposit has been there for ages.
Old May 26, 2016, 2:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
...... first night deposit has been there for ages.
That's acknowledged in MCMAHONSMR's post, which is about disclosure and consistency, not about the deposit.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Originally Posted by mia
That's acknowledged in MCMAHONSMR's post, which is about disclosure and consistency, not about the deposit.
Indeed, thanks for backing me up on that point. Not quibbling about the collection of a deposit as that policy has been around the decade+ I have been visiting that town. The issue here is the lack of disclosure. Saying that my card will be charged per "hotel policy" is not sufficient. The "hotel policy" is not disclosed and as we all know every rate has a specific set of rules. How is one to know the "hotel policy" if it is not adequately disclosed.

Before Amex switched to its new platform, the disclosure was extremely clear about the exact amount to be charged for the deposit. Now, that I've thought about this some more, I decided to investigate this further and have been able to pretty much confirm that the FHR site is the problem here.

Let's take Wynn/Encore as the example. I attempted to book the entry level Encore Resort King for September 2-5, 2016, three separate ways: (1) via Classic Travel; (2) www.americanexpressfhr.com; and (3) via phone through Platinum Travel Services. I use Classic Travel as an example here because I know that they display a Deposit Policy.

Classic Travel
I'm offered the Encore Resort King for an average of $299.10 a night. When you click on "Policies" the following is displayed:

Deposit Policy
PREPAY TYPES - AX DS MC CA VI PREPAY 370.83 USD DUE 26MAY16 REFUNDABLE

Guarantee Policy

Cancellation Policy
CXL BY 1500 HOTEL TIME ON 31AUG16-FEE 1 NIGHT CANCEL BY 3PM 2 DAYS BEFORE ARRIVAL OR 1 NIGHT PENALTY

Rate plan description
VIRTUOSO 10 OFF RACK, 50 RESORT CREDIT, 30 DAILY PER PERSON BREAKFAST CREDIT MAX 2 GUESTS -PACKAGE ELEMENT PLEASE NOTE THE ADDITION OF THE 50 SPA CREDIT TO THE CURRENT AMENITY PROGRAM FOR 2013. EARLY CHECK-IN/LATE CHECK-OUT

Surcharges:

Tax Information:

Booking Requirement

The Deposit Policy is clear as can be.

www.AmericanExpressFHR.com

I'm offered the Encore Resort King for an average of $278 a night. When you click on "Room Restrictions and Cancellation Policy" the following is displayed:

ROOM SPECIFIC POLICIES

Cancellation Policy
CXL: CXL BY 1500 HOTEL TIME ON 31AUG16-FEE 1 NIGHT-INCL TAX-FEES- CANCEL BY 3PM 2 DAYS BEFORE ARRIVAL OR 1 NIGHT PENALTY

Click through to booking and there is still no mention of a deposit.

Telephone Call to Platinum Travel Services

I'm offered the Encore Resort King for an average of $278 a night and a total of $1041.93 for all three nights (not including tax). The nice lady I spoke with then explained the FHR benefits for Wynn/Encore and also explained that a deposit of $347.33 would be collected by Wynn/Encore but that it is refundable as long as I cancel by 3pm on August 31, 2016. I asked her how she knew that the deposit was that amount and she responded that it is in the rate rules.

The fact that a call to Platinum Travel Services yields a clear result leads me to conclude there is something wrong with the FHR site. It's clearly not correctly populating all of the rate rules. To most of us with the Platinum card it probably doesn't matter if they collect a lousy $300 as a deposit, but I'd like to know I'm going to be charged a deposit when I make that booking and I'm entitled to know that. I didn't appreciate just seeing a charge on my statement when I didn't think there would be one. Obviously, if I'm dissatisfied with paying a deposit, I can cancel and the deposit will be refunded. What concerns me is other places (Condado Vanderbilt in San Juan) where deposits aren't the norm like in Vegas. If they aren't displaying the deposit policy wouldn't you be surprised if you saw a deposit charged to your card?

Last edited by MCMAHONSMR; May 26, 2016 at 4:09 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 6:20 pm

Upcoming stay at Delano for 1 night then Palazzo for 4 nights. Any recent experiences with the check in processes at both places? I usually check in at the front desk but read before that at least at Delano, I would be able to check in at the lounge area to the left of the front desk? How about Palazzo's check in process?

TIA!
Old May 26, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Bellagio breakfast

Now that it is automatic rather than a coupon, has anyone succeeded in using the Bellagio breakfast credit at lunch time? I am here, just used my 100 resort credit at Fix, and am thinking about grabbing a burger at Cafe Bellagio around 1:00 p.m. tomorrow after a seminar ends.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by trinifawk
Upcoming stay at Delano for 1 night then Palazzo for 4 nights. Any recent experiences with the check in processes at both places? I usually check in at the front desk but read before that at least at Delano, I would be able to check in at the lounge area to the left of the front desk? How about Palazzo's check in process?
TIA!
We just stayed at the Delano Wednesday night. We checked in at 4 and there wasn't a single person in the lobby so check in was easy. We were only staying one night. At check in they acknowledged fhr and went to get the envelope of benifits. She came back and typed in the computer and said oh sorry there are no upgrades available now unless you want to wait 3-4 hours or pay. We had just come off a 5 day rafting trip on the Grand Canyon so at hat point any room with a shower and a bed was a dream so we didn't care. I think we got about the worst view possible, airport side and right by the elevator. We had a drink in the lounge, service was terrible, and ate at the restaurant at the top of the hotel where the food was ok and service was average. We stayed here because it was cheap at 98.00 before the credits and it was just one night.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by sachs1999
We just stayed at the Delano Wednesday night. We checked in at 4 and there wasn't a single person in the lobby so check in was easy. We were only staying one night. At check in they acknowledged fhr and went to get the envelope of benifits. She came back and typed in the computer and said oh sorry there are no upgrades available now unless you want to wait 3-4 hours or pay. We had just come off a 5 day rafting trip on the Grand Canyon so at hat point any room with a shower and a bed was a dream so we didn't care. I think we got about the worst view possible, airport side and right by the elevator. We had a drink in the lounge, service was terrible, and ate at the restaurant at the top of the hotel where the food was ok and service was average. We stayed here because it was cheap at 98.00 before the credits and it was just one night.
$98 is a steal. Not sure what kind of upgrade we will get but it's crazy that there was nothing for you on a Wednesday. We will likely be there after 4pm but have had good luck upgrading at noon in the past.
Old May 27, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by trinifawk
$98 is a steal. Not sure what kind of upgrade we will get but it's crazy that there was nothing for you on a Wednesday. We will likely be there after 4pm but have had good luck upgrading at noon in the past.
I also checked in at Delano on Wednesday, but not until 8 p.m. I was upgraded to a corner room with a nice view up the strip. I guess it's luck of the draw for the upgrade based on what's available when you check in.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: Krisflyer, hyatt GP
Stayed in Delano early May. I booked the corner suite and didnt get upgraded. I was hoping that i can get 1 bedroom suite upgrade, apparently not.
The nice thing is i stil can use the $100 credit for early dinner (5pm) after i checked out but didnt close my folio until the dinner bill settled.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:25 pm

Anyone has experiences with the wifi charge being refunded?

According to the terms:

In the case where a Property includes cost of Wi-Fi in a mandatory resort fee, the Card Member will receive a daily credit from the Property in the standard amount that the Property charges for Wi-Fi. The credit will be issued on the Card Members final statement upon check-out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.