Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
No however some people have reported getting a the second year fee reimbursed after having spend the $200 travel fee in the second year which means the value of the card is only $99
Rereading this post, I thought the annual fee is $699 for Platinum MR card, and 2 credits of $200 per year is $400 off, so a value of $299 annual fee paid for having the Platinum card.

Someone can walk me through how to get this card value down to $99?

Originally Posted by microcosm
anyone able to provide any input a prev post?
The Aeroplan Gold version card gives you 1.25 points after 10K spend. The best immediate point value offered with a FYF card.

You could try and roll the dice and throw all the purchases onto the Gold MR version, and wait for a Avios transfer bonus. But its YMMV if Amex is introducing a Avios transfer bonus. Last years was March 1st to 31st IIRC. So the annual time as passed. The year previous were different months.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Cana2013
They should. You should print the application page in case they want to see it.
They SHOULD, or they MAY?

Easy to say when it's not you that's taking the risk of applying, and when you have no concrete or reliable sources. Anyone can print out a page but there's no date/timestamp on a regular printout, so what kind of validity is that?!? If anyone believes this will work, I have saved the 20K signup webpages as a PDF document. But, if this works, then why not go for the 21K promo via referral? I may have a PDF of this too.

I wouldn't suggest applying thru this 'hidden' page without discussing first with an Amex rep, and getting a verbal OK that you will get 20K vs current 10K welcome points. At least then you might have the recorded conversation to use as an argument for the higher signup points.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
They SHOULD, or they MAY?

Easy to say when it's not you that's taking the risk of applying, and when you have no concrete or reliable sources. Anyone can print out a page but there's no date/timestamp on a regular printout, so what kind of validity is that?!? .
If you ever tried to print the page, you would notice there is date at the bottom of the page.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: *void
If you ever tried to print the page, you would notice there is date at the bottom of the page.
Not necessarily. Depends on your browser's settings/preferences. True, I can force it so that I get a date at the top of my Google Chrome printouts, but if I choose to use my IE browser, I won't get ANY relevant date/timestamps on the printout. Do you want proof? I can send you my PDF printout which has NO current date. Hence my wording of "regular" printout in my original post, I left it open-ended because I know that everyone's PC/browsers are configured differently, so you may or may not get a date as part of any browser printout...in other words, you'd have to ensure you set the correct page preferences to get any sort of date as part of the printout.

That notwithstanding, anyone can take a PDF or image file, and 'manufacture' a date and dope up a reasonably valid-looking printout, even 2 or 6 months from now. Would that still be valid proof/grounds to get a promotion to stick? How would you convince Amex to believe it is credible, seeing as there is such ease in manufacturing documents to have such fictitious values?

Keep researching for ideas. Something will break through eventually.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ok.. Just print a copy and make sure a date is on it. If not, then save the application to pdf file which has a date stamp on the file name description. This is if you're willing to take the risk of applying through the hidden page, which is Amex generated.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:50 pm

Not necessarily. Depends on your browser's settings/preferences. True, I can force it so that I get a date at the top of my Google Chrome printouts, but if I choose to use my IE browser, I won't get ANY relevant date/timestamps on the printout. Do you want proof? I can send you my PDF printout which has NO current date. Hence my wording of "regular" printout in my original post, I left it open-ended because I know that everyone's PC/browsers are configured differently, so you may or may not get a date as part of any browser printout...in other words, you'd have to ensure you set the correct page preferences to get any sort of date as part of the printout.
I use IE for most of the time and I never need to make any setting change to have the web-page link and date printed at the bottom of the page. It is a default setting.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:23 am
Suspended

I'm not sure why there's such a huge debate on printing PDF's with or without date stamps, but this summarize it nicely:

That notwithstanding, anyone can take a PDF or image file, and 'manufacture' a date and dope up a reasonably valid-looking printout, even 2 or 6 months from now. Would that still be valid proof/grounds to get a promotion to stick? How would you convince Amex to believe it is credible, seeing as there is such ease in manufacturing documents to have such fictitious values?
+1
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended

Would it constitute fraud to doctor a document and present as true? Especially with PDFs, everything is embedded. Documents are often used for legal transactions. I don't think it would be that easy to doctor a PDF.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: AE*SE, *AGold, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
SPG 20k attempt, and MRGold options?

This 'hidden' link was mentioned at the SPG thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post22630307
You can get to the page after you've logged onto Amex.ca.

Doesn't look like anyone's reported on trying to use it successfully yet.

I think you'd need to build up a case that you applied with the right offer codes...perhaps call in to Apply, and show the rep the same page you see, and then get the rep to ensure you get the 20K vs 10K welcome points.
I just went through the online app and got approved. Nothing in the app process contradicted the 20k offer linked above. Printed that page in case I need to call in about the 20k, and I'll report back what happens when I get the package.

On a somewhat unrelated note: I'm saving for a miniRTW late in 2015. Planning to get MRGold as part of the strategy to ensure I have enough points to book around end-2014.

Any suggestions on whether I should do the GCR rebate, or give a helpful FTer the referral?

(new to FT, but have read a fair bit and am hoping to be a good contributor on my journey to the miniRTW and beyond)

Christopher
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:25 pm

60k welcome bonus on Plat did not post.

I traded referrals with a friend. I referred him to Amex Plat, got 15k. The friend got the card, spent $1,000+, referred me, got 15k. But did not get the 60k. Emailed Amex, got a response that he already got "15k out of 60k" and that the email was forwarded to a relevant department to reply within 3 days. Two business days so far, no miles, no reply.

I'll update here once Amex responds.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
I was in YYZ and noticed the homepage offers for AmEx sign ups were:

50k Plat MR
25k Aeroplat
15k Gold MR

I wondered whether that was a sign of things to come and in line with recent devaluations on other products (Gold Biz, SPG and SPG Biz) but so far no change.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:01 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Spouse is still waiting on all 60K from a late february application. I usually send a message after the 10 week mark if they haven't posted (has only happened once on recent gold app) and they posted a few days after that.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by cwhitt
I just went through the online app and got approved. Nothing in the app process contradicted the 20k offer linked above. Printed that page in case I need to call in about the 20k, and I'll report back what happens when I get the package.
I just checked the link and the page is till there
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:22 pm

The referral bonus for SPG cards (both personal and business) is also reduced. It was 10k and now it is 5k for each referral.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
The referral bonus for SPG cards (both personal and business) is also reduced. It was 10k and now it is 5k for each referral.
The Biz card was always refer from bonus of 5k, however the refer to bonus was cut from 15 to 10k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.