Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
i believe Avios are really the way to go when it comes to transferring MP, AP isnt just isnt as worth it... when i called in BA they said they had a 50% offer in december for MR to Avios and do it twice a year (should happen soon e.g. next couple months) and thats crazy good since you dont need to BA metal to redeem avios. in my case id be going to SA alot on AA from yyz and that would make perfect sense, esp with self referral bonus.

2 questions though, whats the policy of them issuing new sign up bonus after you got one already.. like for gold MR 25k whats the shortest timeframe anyones successfully cancelled and signed up for same offer from amex? im hoping max 6 months..

2nd question, regarding amex plat, i can find any airline ticket online and have them book it for me right? if so what are other cc's like amex that offer this great benefit? I know theres cap1 but not worth a equifax AND transunion hit.. and will have to look into bmo world but i think they let you do the same as amex? e.g. call them with price of travel charge and have them charge it on your acc using points?
Old May 17, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
i believe Avios are really the way to go when it comes to transferring MP, AP isnt just isnt as worth it... when i called in BA they said they had a 50% offer in december for MR to Avios and do it twice a year (should happen soon e.g. next couple months) and thats crazy good since you dont need to BA metal to redeem avios. in my case id be going to SA alot on AA from yyz and that would make perfect sense, esp with self referral bonus.

2 questions though, whats the policy of them issuing new sign up bonus after you got one already.. like for gold MR 25k whats the shortest timeframe anyones successfully cancelled and signed up for same offer from amex? im hoping max 6 months..

2nd question, regarding amex plat, i can find any airline ticket online and have them book it for me right? if so what are other cc's like amex that offer this great benefit? I know theres cap1 but not worth a equifax AND transunion hit.. and will have to look into bmo world but i think they let you do the same as amex? e.g. call them with price of travel charge and have them charge it on your acc using points?
It's "MR" as in AMEX Membership Rewards, not MP
and AA availability isn't as good as you think, even if you have tons of Avios

6 months between cancellation & re-apply is safer

AMEX Platinum gives you $200 annual credit via PTS only
otherwise you can redeem TRAVEL expenses at 1 cent per MR (TripFlex credit) AFTER the expenses. Cap1 Aspire is 1.5~2% redemption AFTER also

BMO - you book via BMORewards.com or call in and redeem points FIRST (not after)

Honest opinion, you should start with 1 AMEX and keep learning as you go
I see many questions and I hope you don't get confused
Many questions can be easily found here already or Google'd

Please UpperCase and punctuation if you can
Old May 18, 2014, 8:02 pm

Just like clockwork for AMEX Aeroplan statement

Actually spent on it this month
Got the statement (May 17th) today after noon (18th), not as good as before :P
Should see the points in Aeroplan tomorrow (19th) if long weekend doesn't impact IT
Old May 19, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
When does the cancelled cards(s) disappear from your online account?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:26 pm
alc

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
When does the cancelled cards(s) disappear from your online account?
Not sure if there is a hard date, but the longest that I kept it on my profile is about 2.5 years after I cancel the card before I remove it. So, I will not surprise the official answer will be "until you manually remove it yourself."
Old May 19, 2014, 6:43 pm

Can someone let me know how many Amex Gold Rewards cards they have ever had in their lifetime?

I have had 2, and since then I have been having problems re-applying for this card. That said, I have no problems getting their Plat or AeroplanPlus.
Old May 19, 2014, 6:52 pm
alc

Originally Posted by PTMBAA01
Can someone let me know how many Amex Gold Rewards cards they have ever had in their lifetime?

I have had 2, and since then I have been having problems re-applying for this card. That said, I have no problems getting their Plat or AeroplanPlus.
Both my in-laws had 4, 1 per year since 2011. They always cancel after about 6 months and re-apply 6 months after. Both retired with no debit, so their plan is continue while they can.

The Gold Rewards that we know today was re-launch with new benefits in Summer 2010, as far as I remember. So, I consider my in-laws are very aggressive already, but I am sure some FT members might be even more aggressive.
Old May 23, 2014, 2:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by coleworld
I seemed to notice it happens during the first Tuesday of the month, when the last changes were made (i.e. Business Gold change, Aeroplan Gold change)
Hopefully....SPG....comeon
Old May 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by PTMBAA01

The current one I have is my 3rd one. I also had 2 business gold rewards cards.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Anyone had any issues with their Amex Gold not posting the bonus MRs after they've met the $500 minimum spend? I know I had delays for my Gold Biz, but didn't think the problem extended to the Gold card as well???
Old May 23, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by pokee
Anyone had any issues with their Amex Gold not posting the bonus MRs after they've met the $500 minimum spend? I know I had delays for my Gold Biz, but didn't think the problem extended to the Gold card as well???
I met the $500 spend on May 14th, which was within the first billing period after getting the card. No bonus points posted so far. I will be calling Amex next week.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by echino
I met the $500 spend on May 14th, which was within the first billing period after getting the card. No bonus points posted so far. I will be calling Amex next week.
My bonus posted the next day I got over minimum spend (in first bill cycle, and my bill cycle closed couple of days after that). I did have couple of large purchases that day, so by the end of day, I had double minimum spend on account.
It could be that Amex is waiting for bill cycle to close, or to have some margin over minimum spend.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lazarev
My bonus posted the next day I got over minimum spend (in first bill cycle, and my bill cycle closed couple of days after that). I did have couple of large purchases that day, so by the end of day, I had double minimum spend on account.
It could be that Amex is waiting for bill cycle to close, or to have some margin over minimum spend.
Minimum spend met May 14, billing cycle closed May 16. No points as of today, May 23. This is a Gold Rewards card.

Historically, bonus points posted the same day or next day, together with the transaction pushing the spend over minimum.

The same problem with the Platinum card. Minimum spend met quickly, no points posted. It took numerous (more than 10) emails to get the points, and the telephone agents refused to do anything about it.
Old May 23, 2014, 1:07 pm

Minimum spend met May 14, billing cycle closed May 16. No points as of today, May 23. This is a Gold Rewards card.

Historically, bonus points posted the same day or next day, together with the transaction pushing the spend over minimum.

The same problem with the Platinum card. Minimum spend met quickly, no points posted. It took numerous (more than 10) emails to get the points, and the telephone agents refused to do anything about it.
Jeez...I hope it's not going to be the Biz card bonus all over again. That took 14 weeks to post PLUS several messages and phone calls over the months (apparently due to a system glitch...which I think is BS, because it should never take MONTHS to fix a glitch like that).

This makes my suspicions all the more real: that they are being 'slow' on purpose with the bonus MRs to discourage churning! Or maybe they have a new rule that you can only get bonus MRs for that same card once?!?!
Old May 23, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan

Forgot to mention, this is my first ever Amex Gold (used to have old-old Amex AirMiles that has not been used for 3 years, canceled 2 months ago).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.