Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by lardiop
I have the AeroPlat charge card and just got charged the annual fee. Called in and had the usual run around with the agent, who in the end, agreed to post 10,000 miles to my account for keeping it open.

I have a great credit rating (810+), I want to keep an Amex card, but I don't want to generate a hard hit on my credit report. I also want to keep my credit history with Amex. Any options for doing this?
To keep your account history at Amex, apply for the Blue Sky Card, it is a NO FEE card. Since you already have Amex Card, it wont be a Hard Hit to your credit.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:27 pm

Every Amex card I've opened has generated a hard hit, despite being an existing Amex holder. This includes the Blue Sky.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by MilesMakeMeSmile
30K was posted today...so missing 10k

another message or wait a little?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Every Amex card I've opened has generated a hard hit, despite being an existing Amex holder. This includes the Blue Sky.
I assume that you filled out a regular application online/phone? and not a "product switch"?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:44 am

Yes online application. I'm pretty sure AmEx wouldn't do a product switch from a co branded charge card to their own unbranded credit card though
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by zer0k1
I assume that you filled out a regular application online/phone? and not a "product switch"?
I asked two agents if I could product switch, and both said that it wasn't possible. Not even a downgrade to the Aeroplan Gold card.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lardiop
I asked two agents if I could product switch, and both said that it wasn't possible. Not even a downgrade to the Aeroplan Gold card.
your account must be "eligible" for a product switch, and usually it would only be for an upgrade

Last edited by zer0k1; Dec 31, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:19 pm

I got the Amex Platinum last year, and used the $200 credit in 2014. The year will be up in mid-Jan. and I'm planning to cancel the card (I also have the Gold and the points from both cards are going into the same account, so I shouldn't lose any points). Before I cancel, can I use the $200 credit for 2015? Or would there be an issue in using the credit then cancelling so soon after?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robinkar
I got the Amex Platinum last year, and used the $200 credit in 2014. The year will be up in mid-Jan. and I'm planning to cancel the card (I also have the Gold and the points from both cards are going into the same account, so I shouldn't lose any points). Before I cancel, can I use the $200 credit for 2015? Or would there be an issue in using the credit then cancelling so soon after?
There is a good chance from reports here that the credit will be clawed back on cancelling; always makes it a better proposition to sign up later in the year. There is a 60 day grace period when you will be able to get 100% of annual fee back after it posts so you may be able to "get away with it" if you use the card until early March before cancelling, you may also be well advised if you did that to make lots of transactions so that the credit usage does not show in recent transactions.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:33 am

Amex to BA Bonus...wherefore art thou?!?!

Okay...I've been hoarding my MRs...I have over 100K now...patiently waiting for the bonus to come back to transfer to BA Avios...but it's been MIA for what...18 months now?

Anyone think it's coming back? I can't hold on to them for much longer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.