Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
I just keep dumping all my (and my wife's) MR accounts into Aeroplan. She just hit the $3k threshold in her Biz card so there's another 28K. Shame about the card going to $250/yr. However it does allow for a referral from that card to the Plat card I'm going to apply for. And when it's close to 6 months my biz gold is going to refer her to a Gold personal card and the train starts up again.

That is IF Amex keeps this whole referral thing going.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
There is also a trick to get more points via referrals I'm 99.999% sure everyone's link uses but you won't find it posted. Thank you (you know who you are) who PM'd me the trick. Got me some extra miles.
I used that trick early last year for personal gold card referrals and it was not reliable for getting referral bonuses, so I stopped using the trick and generated referral links according to the T&C.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:23 am

Isn't it just basically recommending the Plat card, then switching to the gold card then sending out invitations for apps on the gold card so you get 15k bonus?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:30 am

Yup.

Worked for me so far.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by BMGfan
So the question is: if she applies for the gold card, (inputting in her platinum number on the app), gets it THEN closes the plat will they automatically transfer to the gold? I know when I went up to plat from gold it worked, but I want to make sure before we try the other way.
Originally Posted by mia
There has been extensive recent discussion of this issue (with various combinations of card accounts). Suggest you scroll back to about post 77 and skim forward or use Search This Thread with the keyword: merge
Actually, I think you meant post 76 in this thread, page 6. =)

Originally Posted by Cana2013
You can see if the MR accounts are merged or not before you cancel the plat card.
Sheesh, even THIS guy could have said this, but how does this help answer BMG's concerns?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:31 pm

Thanks folks, glad to hear that it does work the other way.

She applied tonight and was instantly approved, hopefully they merge and we're good to go.

We didn't want to dump them into Aeroplan because we like the flexibility that MR has (transfer bonus to Avios, statement credit ability, etc.), while aeroplan isn't exactly known for keeping the interests of their members at the fore. AMEX doesn't either of course, but at least they're kind enough to use lube and smile......
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:28 am
alc

Data point for Sign-up Bonus on AeroplanPlus Gold:

Rec'd my first statement today and it show the 30K sign-up bonus. It should post to my Aeroplan account in the few 1-2 days.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:45 am

Have to say Amex is on the ball re:Platinum Card. I applied last night, got a call just now and all is approved! I have a credit watch on my account so they have to call to verify that I indeed did apply. They also courier the card out which is nice as I've had issues with a card go missing.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by alc
Data point for Sign-up Bonus on AeroplanPlus Gold:

Rec'd my first statement today and it show the 30K sign-up bonus. It should post to my Aeroplan account in the few 1-2 days.
Finally! No need for calling 1984759827349847239847987 times.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
But then who will I call if I need to report a fire?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Reading this thread is a bit like drinking from a fire hose!

Do I understand correctly that as a Plat member, I can self-refer to add an Amex Gold, and claim the referral bonus?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yvrgary

Do I understand correctly that as a Plat member, I can self-refer to add an Amex Gold, and claim the referral bonus?

Thanks!
The rules of referral programme do not allow this; however if you do not have a spouse to exchange referrals with, many have tried, tested and reported self referral success.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary

Thanks!
Existing Plat better off self refer to Gold Rewards (unless you mean you had the Aeroplan Plat)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I just called about my Plat bonus, and they said it should post within 3-4 business days. Had to add it manually or something like that as it was referring to my Gold bonus which of course had already posted.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
VH, it wasn't my intention to advise you to wait 8-10 weeks. This 'holding period' may be stated policy, but I would use this opportunity to CALL Amex to complain that you KNOW that these points are normally posted within a day of the threshold spending (based on info that you have from your siblings, family, friends)...ask for your call to be transferred to a supervisor/mgr, and see if you can get them to compensate you for the anguish.

For simple matters, using the Secured-Message system while logged in at Amex.ca, is sufficient/suitable. For missing points, as discussed MANY times within the past few months, it's best to CALL and speak to a rep. Weekday business hours are the best times to call, in my experience.

Good luck.
Well, the remaining 10K of my personal gold welcome bonus did not show up as promised today. Contacted csr and was told that I should have received all 25K right at $500 spent. Somehow, he managed to post the remaining 10K instantly, unlike the previous 3 csr's ...

It looks like whether you get your issue resolved or not depend very much on which csr you talk to ... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.