Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Recoilx

Let's start with two cards - AeroPlat and Amex Personal Gold.
Currently the Personal gold and AeroplanPlus gold are the two best Amex cards for churning because these two cards offer very good bonus points/miles and First Year Free, personal gold - 25k, AeroplanPlus gold - 30k.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:25 am

I actually meant the AeroGold not Platinum, my mistake.

Thanks for the advice though!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:48 am

I agree with Cana2013, I think the Gold and Aerogold have very good signup bonuses.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
The BEST way is if you have a significant other so you can cross-refer each other. We've got a LOT of miles that way. If you don't have an Amex card you will have to pick someone here to start, try to pick someone who actually contributes, not clutters the forum up.

I have also managed to get Aeroplan referral miles from my wife's referral to me for a Biz Gold card (MR miles). Cross family referrals are not supposed to work but IMO this is used by some to get more points for themselves. Many claim that isn't possible but it did for me, YMMV.
There is also a trick to get more points via referrals I'm 99.999% sure everyone's link uses but you won't find it posted. Thank you (you know who you are) who PM'd me the trick. Got me some extra miles.

I do have a gripe about the Amex travel services. The Plat card (75,000 total miles with referral) works out to a decent $/point if I could use the $200 travel credit. None of my travel shows up. Did a $1500 SVG air booking yesterday that I know for 10000% isn't bookable via Amex. My wife is taking me to Blue Mountain for my birthday. Hay hay hay! Maybe I should apply for the Plat but let me check... nope. Doesn't show up in Amex's travel engine. realllly?

Just figured out my overnight stay in SYD isn't showing up either! Lots of Rydges hotels in Sydney show up but not the airport hotel. It's basically an overnight before AC34, coming in the day before flying Solomons-Brisbane-Sydney. We should check out Sydney for a night but that's a long day.

Strike 2

Shame, any points under 0.08c/$ is a damm good deal considering my upcoming J TATL trips are coming in around 4c/mile.

I did get 3X AP miles for my SVG flight. I got targeted last night when I logged in to my AP account. Only leaves me 3 weeks until my May statement however (damm TD are the cheapest son's of....). Still will cancel the in-transition CIBC-TD cards but thanks for the 3X. Buying a lot of gas cards.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
The BEST way is if you have a significant other so you can cross-refer each other. We've got a LOT of miles that way. If you don't have an Amex card you will have to pick someone here to start, try to pick someone who actually contributes, not clutters the forum up.

I have also managed to get Aeroplan referral miles from my wife's referral to me for a Biz Gold card (MR miles). Cross family referrals are not supposed to work but IMO this is used by some to get more points for themselves. Many claim that isn't possible but it did for me, YMMV.
There is also a trick to get more points via referrals I'm 99.999% sure everyone's link uses but you won't find it posted. Thank you (you know who you are) who PM'd me the trick. Got me some extra miles.

I do have a gripe about the Amex travel services. The Plat card (75,000 total miles with referral) works out to a decent $/point if I could use the $200 travel credit. None of my travel shows up. Did a $1500 SVG air booking yesterday that I know for 10000% isn't bookable via Amex. My wife is taking me to Blue Mountain for my birthday. Hay hay hay! Maybe I should apply for the Plat but let me check... nope. Doesn't show up in Amex's travel engine. realllly?

Just figured out my overnight stay in SYD isn't showing up either! Lots of Rydges hotels in Sydney show up but not the airport hotel. It's basically an overnight before AC34, coming in the day before flying Solomons-Brisbane-Sydney. We should check out Sydney for a night but that's a long day.

Strike 2

Shame, any points under 0.08c/$ is a damm good deal considering my upcoming J TATL trips are coming in around 4c/mile.

I did get 3X AP miles for my SVG flight. I got targeted last night when I logged in to my AP account. Only leaves me 3 weeks until my May statement however (damm TD are the cheapest son's of....). Still will cancel the in-transition CIBC-TD cards but thanks for the 3X. Buying a lot of gas cards.
I've always used my Plat travel credit for FHR rates. It's worked best since nobody else (well except Virtuoso) offers it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Did a $1500 SVG air booking yesterday that I know for 10000% isn't bookable via Amex.
If PTS are unable to find an itinerary or even a rate through their Sabre system, then the are able to book it for you through another channel using your card and apply the credit. They did this for me using my 2013 credit. The booking was made directly with the airline through the airline website; I doubt on the other hand that PTS would book an Expedia trip for you.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:25 am

Interesting. Might be good for next year. The birthday travel is too soon and won't get the card in time. I'm booked up otherwise for this year.

Is the PTS different than the travel services on the Amex website when you are logged in?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Might be good for next year. The birthday travel is too soon and won't get the card in time. I'm booked up otherwise for this year.

Is the PTS different than the travel services on the Amex website when you are logged in?
Platinum Travel Services (PTS) is the executive travel agency for Plat cardholders. To use your credit you must book through them; however there are no service fees etc. Essentially, I understand that the $200 credit to be an effort to publicize the - admittedly typically excellent - travel services department.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

There is one credit per calender year as well?

Might just get a card, I know for sure I can use it next year. This year maybe junior gets an invite to his friends cottage and mom and dad can get downtown for a night. At $300 for 75K miles, .004c/mile, very nice math.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Correct
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Might just get a card, I know for sure I can use it next year. This year maybe junior gets an invite to his friends cottage and mom and dad can get downtown for a night. At $300 for 75K miles, .004c/mile, very nice math.
$200 is given every year (Jan 1), so in the FIRST year after application, you'd get 2 x $200 (e.g. one in 2014, one in 2015)

Then it's just $200 every year afterwards (one in 2016, 2017, etc...)

Make sure you self-refer, if you already own the Gold card :P
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:05 am

Hey folks I've got a question on MR points transferal.

The girlfriend currently has the platinum card that's coming up on the one year mark and we don't travel enough to justify the cost past the first year. I'd like to refer her to the gold card, but I'm concerned about the MR points disappearing.

Obviously we could transfer them out first, but I'd prefer to leave them as MRs due to the flexibility they hold. So the question is: if she applies for the gold card, (inputting in her platinum number on the app), gets it THEN closes the plat will they automatically transfer to the gold? I know when I went up to plat from gold it worked, but I want to make sure before we try the other way.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

An off-topic exchange based on a misunderstanding has been deleted. I can think of no reason for any further discussion about the merits of referral links in Signatures because they will all vanish in a fortnight.

Originally Posted by BMGfan
...if she applies for the gold card, (inputting in her platinum number on the app), gets it THEN closes the plat will they automatically transfer to the gold?
There has been extensive recent discussion of this issue (with various combinations of card accounts). Suggest you scroll back to about post 77 and skim forward or use Search This Thread with the keyword: merge

Last edited by mia; Apr 23, 2014 at 7:57 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:02 am

Thanks mia for cleaning up
I thought this thread was gonna get locked, just like the 30K thread, because it seriously became off-topic on signature links, sigh

The girlfriend currently has the platinum card that's coming up on the one year mark and we don't travel enough to justify the cost past the first year. I'd like to refer her to the gold card, but I'm concerned about the MR points disappearing.

Obviously we could transfer them out first, but I'd prefer to leave them as MRs due to the flexibility they hold. So the question is: if she applies for the gold card, (inputting in her platinum number on the app), gets it THEN closes the plat will they automatically transfer to the gold? I know when I went up to plat from gold it worked, but I want to make sure before we try the other way.

Thanks.
How many MR are we talking about anyway?
Just have her transfer out to Aeroplan/Avios if not too many
Otherwise, refer her for Gold, she can enter her Plat # during application and HOPE it gets linked.
If that didn't work, just call AMEX to merge them during Plat cancellation

When I cancelled my Plat in 2013 (it was Primary, my Gold was Secondary on the same AMEX MR account), it caused all kind of troubles. I had to call a few times to fix it, but I know they can see the correct balance in the backend so I never worried about losing it
In the end, AMEX just simply "reset" my MR account, and manually gave me my balance back as one-time adjustment. Funny
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott

So the question is: if she applies for the gold card, (inputting in her platinum number on the app), gets it THEN closes the plat will they automatically transfer to the gold? I know when I went up to plat from gold it worked, but I want to make sure before we try the other way.

Thanks.
You can see if the MR accounts are merged or not before you cancel the plat card.

Last edited by Cana2013; Apr 23, 2014 at 8:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.