Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Yes. Several times! Also tried to argue that all 25,000 should have been posted at the same time. There was also some back and forth on one call that I was only entitled to 15,000, but I had the original email referral that I applied through.
Had anyone who had this experience tried to escalate to a supervisor, and if so did it work?
Is there a way to file a complaint about this? It does not look like this is an isolated case/occurrence ...
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Aeroplan gold has been inconsistent. The Gold rewards has been accurate historically.
Not true. Personal Gold MR, Biz Gold MR and Plat MR cards, ALL have ALSO been plagued with inconsistent posting of welcome points (and referral points), either entirely are partially...it's been going on for months! Where have you been, Ancien, that you haven't noticed all of these related posts?

For the most part, this entire page of posts has just been a re-hash of the same thing that has been discussed for months.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Had anyone who had this experience tried to escalate to a supervisor, and if so did it work?
Is there a way to file a complaint about this? It does not look like this is an isolated case/occurrence ...
If you ready the terms and conditions that you signed up for, you have not been shorted. Yes it is a departure form previously established Amex practice, but their policy has always been 8-10 weeks for bonuses to post, so until that time expires, you have very little scope to complain.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by markandrew
If you ready the terms and conditions that you signed up for, you have not been shorted. Yes it is a departure form previously established Amex practice, but their policy has always been 8-10 weeks for bonuses to post, so until that time expires, you have very little scope to complain.
I could not find the fineprint which states that 8-10 weeks to post bonuses ...
Also, is it stated anywhere in the fineprint that the 25k is actually split into 15k & 10k to be posted at different time?

The referral email seems to suggest 25k will be earned once $500 is crossed within the first 3 months. Why have I only received 15k when the $500 is crossed?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Also, is it stated anywhere in the fineprint that the 25k is actually split into 15k & 10k to be posted at different time?

The referral email seems to suggest 25k will be earned once $500 is crossed within the first 3 months. Why have I only received 15k when the $500 is crossed?
The e-mail is an advertisment, the contract terms are on the application page and they are perfectly clear; Amex has 8-10 weeks to post your bonus. You can argue your case all you want, but the terms of the contract you signed up for are crystal clear and so far Amex have not breached them and so they are justifiably within their rights to brush you off.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:48 pm

VH, for the past 2+ years the posting of welcome points for the MR cards have been nearly flawless and immediate (< 1 day) after reaching the $500 threshold spending. Unfortunately, the state of the Amex Mototron is that not all cylinders are firing, so be glad that you got SOME points. There are others, myself included, who got NONE (was for my Biz Gold MR), and then 11 weeks later BOOM, the points arrived. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I did.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
VH, for the past 2+ years the posting of welcome points for the MR cards have been nearly flawless and immediate (< 1 day) after reaching the $500 threshold spending. Unfortunately, the state of the Amex Mototron is that not all cylinders are firing, so be glad that you got SOME points. There are others, myself included, who got NONE (was for my Biz Gold MR), and then 11 weeks later BOOM, the points arrived. Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as I did.
Thanks JJ.
I guess I will wait for the 8-10 weeks period before contacting csr again.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Not true. Personal Gold MR, Biz Gold MR and Plat MR cards, ALL have ALSO been plagued with inconsistent posting of welcome points (and referral points), either entirely are partially...it's been going on for months! Where have you been, Ancien, that you haven't noticed all of these related posts?

For the most part, this entire page of posts has just been a re-hash of the same thing that has been discussed for months.
If you reread my post, I said for the most part, most of the problems are with the AE cards, and the MR cards have been more consistent, but not absolved of all problems.

Its only been recent that the Gold Biz, Gold Rewards, and MR Platinum been experiencing high volume of problems. I certainly haven't had problems of MR points posting personally for my MR Amexes. If you are saying that the MR cards are JUST as plagued with problems in the past except recently, then I'll have to agree to disagree.

I believe a higher volume of problems began to occur when Plat Amex started abolishing CX Gold and some lounge privileges. It started snowballing from there.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Thanks JJ.
If you are not in a hurry to use your points, then just wait for the 8 week period, but I doubt the points will come automatically, you will still need to call.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:53 am

Thanks JJ.
VH, it wasn't my intention to advise you to wait 8-10 weeks. This 'holding period' may be stated policy, but I would use this opportunity to CALL Amex to complain that you KNOW that these points are normally posted within a day of the threshold spending (based on info that you have from your siblings, family, friends)...ask for your call to be transferred to a supervisor/mgr, and see if you can get them to compensate you for the anguish.

For simple matters, using the Secured-Message system while logged in at Amex.ca, is sufficient/suitable. For missing points, as discussed MANY times within the past few months, it's best to CALL and speak to a rep. Weekday business hours are the best times to call, in my experience.

Good luck.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 1:46 pm
alc

Was just chatting with one of my friend, who self-refer from Plat to Gold, and here are the data point for reference:

- Mid-Jan 2014, self-Refer using a different email address, instant approval
- Activate using existing online profile, MR account merged automatically.
- Plat card cancelled and the MR account still show MR First (I know it mean nothing, but just thought to provide a bit more detail)
- Spend $500+ and got only 15K MR bonus
- Called in and ask for the missing 10K, agent first try to say, you got 30K already as it saw the 15K referral from self-refer. But after "discuss" with the agent a bit more, the agent agree to "file for missing MR" to the appropriate department. 3-4 days later, 10K show up

Hope this info help some people.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
Was just chatting with one of my friend, who self-refer from Plat to Gold, and here are the data point for reference:

- Plat card cancelled and the MR account still show MR First (I know it mean nothing, but just thought to provide a bit more detail)
- Called in and ask for the missing 10K, agent first try to say, you got 30K already as it saw the 15K referral from self-refer. But after "discuss" with the agent a bit more, the agent agree to "file for missing MR" to the appropriate department. 3-4 days later, 10K show up

Thanks for the detailed information. It seems the key to get the points shortage resolved is to get agent "file for missing points" instead of just accept the answer "they are working on it".
Old Mar 31, 2014, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Thanks for the detailed information. It seems the key to get the points shortage resolved is to get agent "file for missing points" instead of just accept the answer "they are working on it".
Seems to me a short while back, agents had the ability to post immediately the points missing, if not, the manager would override. This extra step must be a recent buffer to avoid awarding points by mistake.

This extra step is annoying, and I've been met with some requests refused.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by alc

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The SPG bonus points offers have been slashed! Not really worth bothering with them now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.