Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
it will award you based on the card you claim you have.

anyway i just got my 60k for platinum spend. i sent in a online correspondence last Saturday and they forwarded it to another dept on Sunday. got the points today. faster than i expected!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I doubt my wife will receive 15k referral points for an aero platinum card. She has an aero gold, but certainly we'll try. I have a feeling it'll only be 10k though. Iirc, that's what I received the last time I referred a platinum card to her. I've never received 15k on either my wife or I account for referring a platinum card.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:14 am

Does anyone have any experience in determining if the Aeroplanplus gold is distinction eligible when using a 30K referral? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by prmetime
Does anyone have any experience in determining if the Aeroplanplus gold is distinction eligible when using a 30K referral? Thanks!
If you see posts 13 and 15 on the bottom of this page, a highly reliable poster (also the architect of rewardscanada) confirms the Distinction eligibility:

Aeroplanplus card Welcome Bonus supposed to be eligible for AeroplaDistinction Status

I have relied on this in recommending the card to a couple of people, and none of them have followed up to say their bonuses were not eligible.

Last date for applications is April 1st for distinction eligibility.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by markandrew
If you see posts 13 and 15 on the bottom of this page, a highly reliable poster (also the architect of rewardscanada) confirms the Distinction eligibility:

Aeroplanplus card Welcome Bonus supposed to be eligible for AeroplaDistinction Status

I have relied on this in recommending the card to a couple of people, and none of them have followed up to say their bonuses were not eligible.

Last date for applications is April 1st for distinction eligibility.
Thanks for the help in finding the info and for such a prompt response.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:23 am

Signup bonus is eligible, any referrals made from it were not
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Signup bonus is eligible, any referrals made from it were not
Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I think that is correct. I passed the threshold the first time I used the card in early December.
Just check my amex personal gold, spend threshold crossed, only 15k welcome bonus received.

I guess I should contact amex to get the other 10k? Is a phone call more effective than a secure message?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Just check my amex personal gold, spend threshold crossed, only 15k welcome bonus received.

I guess I should contact amex to get the other 10k? Is a phone call more effective than a secure message?
Absolutely, I would call as well. You passed the spend threshold and appears that you're shorted on points.

If it was Aerogold I would understand. Its been posting inconsistent. But there has been few discrepancies reported with the Amex Gold Card.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS

I did not try a secure message but the phone call took a long time!
Old Mar 29, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Absolutely, I would call as well. You passed the spend threshold and appears that you're shorted on points.

If it was Aerogold I would understand. Its been posting inconsistent. But there has been few discrepancies reported with the Amex Gold Card.
Well, I hope it won't happen to my aeroplus gold.

Originally Posted by allbrosca
I did not try a secure message but the phone call took a long time!
I phoned in and was told that 15k will be deposited when the spend threshold is achieved. However, the remaining 10k should be deposited when the statement is issued. I was even told the exact date on which the 10k would be posted.

Anyone else was told the same?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott

I phoned in and was told that 15k will be deposited when the spend threshold is achieved. However, the remaining 10k should be deposited when the statement is issued. I was even told the exact date on which the 10k would be posted.

That doesn't sound right. The bonus points should be 25k altogether and posted right after you reach the spend requirement.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:22 pm
Suspended

For the record, I've never heard of this method of points posting before.

Aeroplan gold has been inconsistent. The Gold rewards has been accurate historically.

Sometimes it helps phoning again and speaking to another agent.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
That doesn't sound right. The bonus points should be 25k altogether and posted right after you reach the spend requirement.
Yes, I agree. I tried to "argue" with the csr that I should have gotten the entire 25K in one shot as per the referral link email. But, I gave up arguing ...
It seems different csr just makes up different story ....

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
For the record, I've never heard of this method of points posting before.

Aeroplan gold has been inconsistent. The Gold rewards has been accurate historically.

Sometimes it helps phoning again and speaking to another agent.
Yes, I will tried to call again but will try on weekdays ... perhaps I will get to talk to a more "knowledgeable fulltime" csr.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS

Yes. Several times! Also tried to argue that all 25,000 should have been posted at the same time. There was also some back and forth on one call that I was only entitled to 15,000, but I had the original email referral that I applied through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.