Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The SPG bonus points offers have been slashed! Not really worth bothering with them now...
Yeah, boo.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: *void
So, it's April 2nd, 2014, and I've been anticipating a 'change' to the Aeroplan Plus card offerings, since the promo was announced to expiry yesterday, for the signup points to be d-Eligible on these charge cards.

Just checked the direct-signup (non-referral) for the Aeroplan Plus Gold, and it has increased from 20,000 to 25,000 Aeros ($0 FYF, expires July 14, 2014). So, that means now only a 5,000 bonus by using an online signup via a referral, for 30,000, as this has remained unchanged.

The AeroPlus Gold's new 25,000 welcome points are in line with the re-vamped (in Sep 2013) Amex Personal Gold MR card offering, which was adjusted from 15,000 Membership Rewards (MRs) with direct signup to current and still active offering of 25,000 MRs ($0 FYF). So, both Gold versions are now on par, offered up at 25,000 points.

I would have hoped, and am still wondering if the Gold MR referral benefit would have offered similar 5,000 bonus points over a non-referred signup, but nope, it's still staying at 25,000 MRs, so no advantage to use a referral here, so it's best to just use GCR to signup and grab the $50 rebate (unless you have a family/friend's referral to bestow the points upon).

On the Aeroplan Plus Platinum front, the 50,000 direct signup has now dropped to 40,000, same level it's more-or-less been offered at for the past 2 years, so the referral bonus is now 11,000 extra points for total of 51,000 Aeros (and associated $499/yr fee).

For the regular Amex Platinum MR card, no changes, still offered at 50,000 MRs with direct signup at Amex.ca, or a 10,000 bonus if via referral for total of 60,000 MRs (at $699/yr fee).

For those interested, the AMEX Air Miles cards are unchanged. It's still 500 AMs on signup of the no-fee regular Air Miles CC. The Air Miles Platinum card is 1000 AMs via direct signup at Amex.ca, and 1250 AMs ($0 FYF) via referral, so a 250 mile bonus.

So, the biggest recent changes, other than the above-mentioned 25K AeroPlus Gold, has been the lowered Amex SPG from 20,000 to 10,000 (even if referred) and the Biz Gold MR card which is still 25,000 MRs, but no longer $0 FYF and with increased annual fee of $250/yr and required spend is now $5000.

I have a feeling Canadian Amex is not done yet, though. Look for more changes and announcement to come soon.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
We knew the enhancements were coming. TD infinite still has their 2 for 1 short haul, 15K, FYF.

The Aerogold Amex looks good. I've spent more than 10K and getting 1.25 points per dollar spent. Beats paying $499 a year to get a bit of a relative increase on points earned.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
So, it's April 2nd, 2014, and I've been anticipating a 'change' to the Aeroplan Plus card offerings, since the promo was announced to expiry yesterday, for the signup points to be d-Eligible on these charge cards.

Just checked the direct-signup (non-referral) for the Aeroplan Plus Gold, and it has increased from 20,000 to 25,000 Aeros ($0 FYF, expires July 14, 2014). So, that means now only a 5,000 bonus by using an online signup via a referral, for 30,000, as this has remained unchanged.

The AeroPlus Gold's new 25,000 welcome points are in line with the re-vamped (in Sep 2013) Amex Personal Gold MR card offering, which was adjusted from 15,000 Membership Rewards (MRs) with direct signup to current and still active offering of 25,000 MRs ($0 FYF). So, both Gold versions are now on par, offered up at 25,000 points.

I would have hoped, and am still wondering if the Gold MR referral benefit would have offered similar 5,000 bonus points over a non-referred signup, but nope, it's still staying at 25,000 MRs, so no advantage to use a referral here, so it's best to just use GCR to signup and grab the $50 rebate (unless you have a family/friend's referral to bestow the points upon).

On the Aeroplan Plus Platinum front, the 50,000 direct signup has now dropped to 40,000, same level it's more-or-less been offered at for the past 2 years, so the referral bonus is now 11,000 extra points for total of 51,000 Aeros (and associated $499/yr fee).

For the regular Amex Platinum MR card, no changes, still offered at 50,000 MRs with direct signup at Amex.ca, or a 10,000 bonus if via referral for total of 60,000 MRs (at $699/yr fee).

For those interested, the AMEX Air Miles cards are unchanged. It's still 500 AMs on signup of the no-fee regular Air Miles CC. The Air Miles Platinum card is 1000 AMs via direct signup at Amex.ca, and 1250 AMs ($0 FYF) via referral, so a 250 mile bonus.

So, the biggest recent changes, other than the above-mentioned 25K AeroPlus Gold, has been the lowered Amex SPG from 20,000 to 10,000 (even if referred) and the Biz Gold MR card which is still 25,000 MRs, but no longer $0 FYF and with increased annual fee of $250/yr and required spend is now $5000.

I have a feeling Canadian Amex is not done yet, though. Look for more changes and announcement to come soon.
The omen is not looking good ...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD

Good recap..

I am debating myself about signing up for the Amex Platinum, with a self-referral.

My debate is whether I should do it now or in 3-5 weeks... The main reason is I will only keep it for the one year, and I will be doing lots of travelling up until May 2015... So I wanted to time it, for my one year ending May 2015...

I know you can cancel within 30 days after the first year is up and get your annual fee back, but some people have said after 60 days, you can also get it back.

Im just a little worried that the 60k bonus might shrink... I guess if that happens, we may see the annual fee shrink too, since benefits are disappearing...

When should I sign up ?!?!?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'd do June or July. If you have to make a claim it might not be instant. 1-2 months is enough buffer for any insurance claims to work through the system
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
The omen is not looking good ...
What do we expect? Now the model is for us FTers to convince the world to sign up via referrals. Amex's business model has obviously changed.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
can someone please answer my 2 questions? very quick, have tried searching answers for em as well to no avail

- can i do self referral? first time applying for amex last night, got approved for gold charge card. can i self refer myself for aeroplus $120 fee and get 10k bonus points on amex gold + 5k extra on aeroplus if im approved?

- how long should i wait before i apply for 2nd amex aeroplus card? its been 24 hours, and thinking of doing it asap or should i wait longer? p.s. can i refer even w/o card # from gold reward for its yet to arrive in mail
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
can someone please answer my 2 questions? very quick, have tried searching answers for em as well to no avail

- can i do self referral? first time applying for amex last night, got approved for gold charge card. can i self refer myself for aeroplus $120 fee and get 10k bonus points on amex gold + 5k extra on aeroplus if im approved?

- how long should i wait before i apply for 2nd amex aeroplus card? its been 24 hours, and thinking of doing it asap or should i wait longer? p.s. can i refer even w/o card # from gold reward for its yet to arrive in mail
You're technically not supposed to self-refer across card family types. The Gold Membership Rewards card is not in the same family as the Aeroplan Plus card family. You can try, but you may not get the referral points, but you probably will still get the 30K signup/welcome Aeroplan points.

No need to wait...many people, myself included, have successfully applied for an MR card and a Aeroplan Plus card within weeks of each other. These are both CHARGE cards, no limit to the number of DIFFERENT CHARGE cards you can carry concurrently. Amex limits you to 2 CREDIT cards though (Air Miles, SPG, Costco Plat, True Earnings, etc).

Good luck!
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by coleworld
Good recap..

I am debating myself about signing up for the Amex Platinum, with a self-referral.

My debate is whether I should do it now or in 3-5 weeks... The main reason is I will only keep it for the one year, and I will be doing lots of travelling up until May 2015... So I wanted to time it, for my one year ending May 2015...

I know you can cancel within 30 days after the first year is up and get your annual fee back, but some people have said after 60 days, you can also get it back.

Im just a little worried that the 60k bonus might shrink... I guess if that happens, we may see the annual fee shrink too, since benefits are disappearing...

When should I sign up ?!?!?
I'd say "30 days" after renewal, so sign up June 1 2014 -> you can cancel July 1, 2015, should be safe enough
I think 60K AMEX MR (via referral) is here to stay, if we don't see changes come May 1st or June 1st. SPG referral reduction (from 21K to 10K) is such a joke

JJ answered them all.
Self-referral, sadly, would not work, so ask a family/friend/stranger on FT to refer you to make his/her day (by earning the 10K/15K Aeroplan referral bonus)

If your credit score is good, yes, apply for as many AMEX cards as they'll let you. Just keep in mind, you need to spend $500 in first 3 months to earn the welcome bonus, so 2 cards = $1000 spending in 3 months
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
You're technically not supposed to self-refer across card family types. The Gold Membership Rewards card is not in the same family as the Aeroplan Plus card family. You can try, but you may not get the referral points, but you probably will still get the 30K signup/welcome Aeroplan points.

No need to wait...many people, myself included, have successfully applied for an MR card and a Aeroplan Plus card within weeks of each other. These are both CHARGE cards, no limit to the number of DIFFERENT CHARGE cards you can carry concurrently. Amex limits you to 2 CREDIT cards though (Air Miles, SPG, Costco Plat, True Earnings, etc).

Good luck!
thank you youre too kind, but i was reading a thread on RFD (redflagdeals) and essence the understanding i got from it (not sure if im allowed to link to posts) was that it doesnt matter what the person you refer to applys for.

basically it came down to if you are a holder of $699 platinum one, you get 15k bonus points, if youre a gold charge holder $150 you get 10k points regeradless of what they sign up for.

i dont intend on touching their credit cards at all, so i think il stick with charge cards. but if i self referred myself now that i have a gold rewards account i can log into but not fully register yet because card hasnt arrived in mail, will the referral link still work? i know i see the option of referring a friend and it gives me a link and etc.. but just curious if anyone has had experiences

lastly im trying to go now for aeroplus $120 charge one if that makes any difference

Originally Posted by jerryhung

JJ answered them all.
Self-referral, sadly, would not work, so ask a family/friend/stranger on FT to refer you to make his/her day (by earning the 10K/15K Aeroplan referral bonus)

If your credit score is good, yes, apply for as many AMEX cards as they'll let you. Just keep in mind, you need to spend $500 in first 3 months to earn the welcome bonus, so 2 cards = $1000 spending in 3 months
thanks, just got off the phone with rep. and she reassured me self referral would work, but then theres conflicting opinion here. i would say it doesnt hurt to try and give it a shot myself. i think another step il be taking to exercise some due diligence would be to read the mega thread on rfd to get a better idea as to how this is going to work, then work my way through these threads on here

Last edited by microcosm; Apr 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:31 pm

Its all FOS or FOO.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:49 pm

thank you youre too kind, but i was reading a thread on RFD (redflagdeals) and essence the understanding i got from it (not sure if im allowed to link to posts) was that it doesnt matter what the person you refer to applys for.

basically it came down to if you are a holder of $699 platinum one, you get 15k bonus points, if youre a gold charge holder $150 you get 10k points regeradless of what they sign up for.

i dont intend on touching their credit cards at all, so i think il stick with charge cards. but if i self referred myself now that i have a gold rewards account i can log into but not fully register yet because card hasnt arrived in mail, will the referral link still work? i know i see the option of referring a friend and it gives me a link and etc.. but just curious if anyone has had experiences

lastly im trying to go now for aeroplus $120 charge one if that makes any difference

thanks, just got off the phone with rep. and she reassured me self referral would work, but then theres conflicting opinion here. i would say it doesnt hurt to try and give it a shot myself. i think another step il be taking to exercise some due diligence would be to read the mega thread on rfd to get a better idea as to how this is going to work, then work my way through these threads on here
"Referral" in general only works IN the same card type
Yes, if you own Gold Rewards card, you earn 10K AMEX MR referral bonus, regardless of what others sign up for, AS LONG AS they sign up for another AMEX MR card (Gold, Plat, Biz Gold, Biz Plat)
same logic for Aeroplan. You own Aeroplan and earn referral (10K for owning AeroGold, 15K for owning AeroPlat), AS LONG AS they sign up for Aeroplan* AMEX

I understand you'd want to try to self-refer yourself (from Gold Rewards, to Aeroplan Gold), go ahead and try, you "don't lose out anything" besides a possible referral bonus to someone else
but be warned, 99% you will NOT see any referral bonus yourself

Lastly, you can only generate referral link/send referral email, AFTER you receive & activate the card to login online to do so

AeroplanPlus Gold is FYF and $120/year after first year
And FlyerTalk is a much better source than RFD
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
"Referral" in general only works IN the same card type
Yes, if you own Gold Rewards card, you earn 10K AMEX MR referral bonus, regardless of what others sign up for, AS LONG AS they sign up for another AMEX MR card (Gold, Plat, Biz Gold, Biz Plat)
same logic for Aeroplan. You own Aeroplan and earn referral (10K for owning AeroGold, 15K for owning AeroPlat), AS LONG AS they sign up for Aeroplan* AMEX

I understand you'd want to try to self-refer yourself (from Gold Rewards, to Aeroplan Gold), go ahead and try, you "don't lose out anything" besides a possible referral bonus to someone else
but be warned, 99% you will NOT see any referral bonus yourself

Lastly, you can only generate referral link/send referral email, AFTER you receive & activate the card to login online to do so

AeroplanPlus Gold is FYF and $120/year after first year
And FlyerTalk is a much better source than RFD
Yep.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:55 pm

but if i self referred myself now that i have a gold rewards account i can log into but not fully register yet because card hasnt arrived in mail, will the referral link still work? i know i see the option of referring a friend and it gives me a link and etc.. but just curious if anyone has had experiences

Slow down...you need to get your card in hand before you can use it to generate a referral, because as part of the referral generation process, you'll be asked to key in the card account number (or did you find some unmentionable way of getting the number before the card arrived in the mail?).

I'm surprised the rep said that self-referral would work...maybe she thought you meant WITHIN the same product family (MR to other type of MR card, or AeroPlus Gold to AeroPlus Plat, for egs.).

There's actually a lot of people on RFD who are also regulars here too (). From my experience, you get similar advice on both FT and RFD, but usually a lot more mature responses here at FT. There's no denying that both forums have a lot of info, both good and false...IMHO, a lot more unreliable at RFD though.

Edit: I see Jerry beat me to the response....and glad to see he's in agreement with me on a lot of the same points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.