Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by jerryhung
"Referral" in general only works IN the same card type
Yes, if you own Gold Rewards card, you earn 10K AMEX MR referral bonus, regardless of what others sign up for, AS LONG AS they sign up for another AMEX MR card (Gold, Plat, Biz Gold, Biz Plat)
same logic for Aeroplan. You own Aeroplan and earn referral (10K for owning AeroGold, 15K for owning AeroPlat), AS LONG AS they sign up for Aeroplan* AMEX

I understand you'd want to try to self-refer yourself (from Gold Rewards, to Aeroplan Gold), go ahead and try, you "don't lose out anything" besides a possible referral bonus to someone else
but be warned, 99% you will NOT see any referral bonus yourself

Lastly, you can only generate referral link/send referral email, AFTER you receive & activate the card to login online to do so

AeroplanPlus Gold is FYF and $120/year after first year
And FlyerTalk is a much better source than RFD
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Slow down...you need to get your card in hand before you can use it to generate a referral, because as part of the referral generation process, you'll be asked to key in the card account number (or did you find some unmentionable way of getting the number before the card arrived in the mail?).

I'm surprised the rep said that self-referral would work...maybe she thought you meant WITHIN the same product family (MR to other type of MR card, or AeroPlus Gold to AeroPlus Plat, for egs.).

There's actually a lot of people on RFD who are also regulars here too (). From my experience, you get similar advice on both FT and RFD, but usually a lot more mature responses here at FT. There's no denying that both forums have a lot of info, both good and false...IMHO, a lot more unreliable at RFD though.

Edit: I see Jerry beat me to the response....and glad to see he's in agreement with me on a lot of the same points!
thanks and i do agree i was jumping the gun prematurely to an extent on this whole thing, and this place is definitely much better than rfd, much less than useless spam posts to go through, concise and succinct clear answers

i'll be waiting for the physical card to arrive in mail, and part of my exceptional 'excitement' is that ive just discovered reward points and amex in past 24 hours.

all started when i called in to TD about my interest rate on a cc, they converted me to their new visa $120 with 15k aeroplan sign up bonus, so ever since ive been playing catch up and im going to say im intrigued and looking forward to the what the future holds
Old Apr 3, 2014, 9:32 pm

Don't stop at AMEX or Aeroplan

See all the awesome, mostly FREE credit offers below
AMEX
=============================
AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR after $1000 - via Referral only
AMEX Gold - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 <-- you already have this
AMEX AeroplanPlus Gold - $120/year, FYF, 30K Aeroplan after $500 - via Referral only
AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 1250 Air Miles after $500 - via Referral only

VISA
TD Aeroplan Infinite, 15K Aeroplan after 1st purchase, FYF <-- you already have this
CIBC Aerogold Infinite, 20K Aeroplan after $500, FYF <-- discontinued on 4/1, it's now 15K and no more FYF

MasterCard
CapitalOne Aspire - $350 worth of points + $75 cashback
MBNA Alaska Air - 25000 points, $75 annual fee - $60/$75 GCR rebate
BMO World Elite MC $300 credit after 1st purchase, FYF
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Its all FOS or FOO.
Sorry.. Whats FOS or FOO?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Its all FOS or FOO.
I understand these acronyms to mean Freedom of Speech (or Opinion), but in context I think you mean something else?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I'd say "30 days" after renewal, so sign up June 1 2014 -> you can cancel July 1, 2015, should be safe enough

I think 60K AMEX MR (via referral) is here to stay, if we don't see changes come May 1st or June 1st.
If I decide to keep the card for a couple months after 1st year, then cancel, I understand the fee will be prorated.

But I also read somewhere that in this case you would have to pay back your $200 credit if used for that calendar year, is this true?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
If I decide to keep the card for a couple months after 1st year, then cancel, I understand the fee will be prorated.

But I also read somewhere that in this case you would have to pay back your $200 credit if used for that calendar year, is this true?
Nobody knows for sure, and personally I wouldn't sign up the card just to take advantage of AMEX

My guess is, they'd ask your $200 (2015) back if you cancel too soon after using the $200 credit
but if you apply in June 2014, use $200 (2014) by 12/31/2014, and use $200 (2015) again well before you cancel in June 2015 or after, you should be safe
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Nobody knows for sure, and personally I wouldn't sign up the card just to take advantage of AMEX

My guess is, they'd ask your $200 (2015) back if you cancel too soon after using the $200 credit
but if you apply in June 2014, use $200 (2014) by 12/31/2014, and use $200 (2015) again well before you cancel in June 2015 or after, you should be safe
Ya I won't be trying to take advantage to cancel right away, I'll use my credits well before I cancel so I would think I'll be safe
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:51 am

Don't stop at AMEX or Aeroplan

See all the awesome, mostly FREE credit offers below
thanks. i have to make some relatively one time large purchases (relatively small compared to some of you guys) of $7-10k in next 3 weeks - 6 weeks (atleast 7k by 28th of this month) what cards would you guys recommend i could put the charge on to take advantage of this?

i was hoping the aero gold MR biz version was available as i could of easily met the 5k spending criteria, but they took it away.

tried calling in CIBC (was willing to take hard hit cuz of confidence from hearing theyre very willing with approvals) for FYF + 20k but the promotion ended 4 days ago, even the girl at applications wasnt willing to budge on waiving fee.

tried converting a RBC CC to Avion $120 FYF 15k avion pts for new customers but tried telling her to waive $120 fee for pre-existing customers like TD, no avail

in past 48 hrs ive gotten TD's 15k AP $120 FYF (converted cc's only) + Amex Gold MR 25k AP + $50 GCR and intend on applying for Aeroplus 25k AP when i get my amex gold on monday.

real dilemma is my 2 PLOC require me to do new app every year (only had it for 1 so far) and its coming in 6 months, so maybe i should stop hard hits now? Or im thinking of sticking with amex charge cards since they dont affect my credit (correct me if im wrong) much at all since theyre charge cards im going for only.

p.s. 1 PLOC issuer uses transunion, other uses equifax

Last edited by microcosm; Apr 4, 2014 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 4, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
How does a card cancellation go? I'm planning on cutting 3 of my cards at once (Gold, AeroGold and biz gold). I was going to switch the Gold Biz to a SPG biz but they gutted the SPG promo so that's not happening.

Any idea on an Aeroplat retention bonus with a $90-100K spend? My wife is racking up the points but there is still more value on cancelling and re-sign up IMO. I can get the 1.5X points on a CIBC Aeroplan card.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
How does a card cancellation go? I'm planning on cutting 3 of my cards at once (Gold, AeroGold and biz gold). I was going to switch the Gold Biz to a SPG biz but they gutted the SPG promo so that's not happening.

Any idea on an Aeroplat retention bonus with a $90-100K spend? My wife is racking up the points but there is still more value on cancelling and re-sign up IMO. I can get the 1.5X points on a CIBC Aeroplan card.
theres a hidden link you can use to get the SPG offer which is not offered explictly. 20k SPG Points but i dont think the points are an issue, despite being relatively new to this whole 9 yards of reward points, my understanding is that they have downgraded and dramatically reduced redemption value (+ new technicalities) like sometime in march 2014.

if you still want to go through for 20k SPG points, here you go http://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en...-to-apply.html

with respect to cancelling all 3 at a time.. i would make an excuse to get transferred to the retention dept/supervisor asap and threaten to cancel everything on file. my understanding is they have much more at stake and value your business of pumping 100k than some CSR kid hired for answering calls, so use ur purchasing power as leverage and theyl definitely bend over to give you wat you want.

WRT cibc aero, the annual fee for just 0.5x isnt really worth it for gas/groceries/pharmacy, especially since it seems their intention for future promos is to focus on their aventura product. stick with amex plat/gold + aeroplus, theyre going to be constantly offering FYF/alot of sign up AP bonus and will always blow canadian banks out of water in every competition and promos just because theyre american (not emphasizing variance in nationality, instead market penetration and share which gives them greater leverage and cheaper credit to operate with than our zombie bailed out at 125% each banks)

Last edited by microcosm; Apr 4, 2014 at 3:04 pm
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by microcosm
theres a hidden link you can use to get the SPG offer which is not offered explictly. 20k SPG Points but i dont think the points are an issue, despite being relatively new to this whole 9 yards of reward points, my understanding is that they have downgraded and dramatically reduced redemption value (+ new technicalities) like sometime in march 2014.

if you still want to go through for 20k SPG points, here you go http://www.americanexpress.com/ca/en...-to-apply.html
oh cool. nice. generally in the past will amex honor the "hidden" or "non-updated" apply links?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Cerenity
oh cool. nice. generally in the past will amex honor the "hidden" or "non-updated" apply links?
This 'hidden' link was mentioned at the SPG thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post22630307
You can get to the page after you've logged onto Amex.ca.

Doesn't look like anyone's reported on trying to use it successfully yet.

I think you'd need to build up a case that you applied with the right offer codes...perhaps call in to Apply, and show the rep the same page you see, and then get the rep to ensure you get the 20K vs 10K welcome points.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by microcosm
thanks. i have to make some relatively one time large purchases (relatively small compared to some of you guys) of $7-10k in next 3 weeks - 6 weeks (atleast 7k by 28th of this month) what cards would you guys recommend i could put the charge on to take advantage of this?

i was hoping the aero gold MR biz version was available as i could of easily met the 5k spending criteria, but they took it away.

tried calling in CIBC (was willing to take hard hit cuz of confidence from hearing theyre very willing with approvals) for FYF + 20k but the promotion ended 4 days ago, even the girl at applications wasnt willing to budge on waiving fee.

tried converting a RBC CC to Avion $120 FYF 15k avion pts for new customers but tried telling her to waive $120 fee for pre-existing customers like TD, no avail

in past 48 hrs ive gotten TD's 15k AP $120 FYF (converted cc's only) + Amex Gold MR 25k AP + $50 GCR and intend on applying for Aeroplus 25k AP when i get my amex gold on monday.

real dilemma is my 2 PLOC require me to do new app every year (only had it for 1 so far) and its coming in 6 months, so maybe i should stop hard hits now? Or im thinking of sticking with amex charge cards since they dont affect my credit (correct me if im wrong) much at all since theyre charge cards im going for only.

p.s. 1 PLOC issuer uses transunion, other uses equifax
anyone able to provide any input a prev post?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cerenity
They should. You should print the application page in case they want to see it.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:54 am

The Amex Aeroplan gold is $30 GCR +25k, or 30k and no cash if you get referred by someone.

The Amex charge cards won't contribute to your credit limit usage, but it would affect average age of accounts and the hard hit would affect for sure (even more so if you apply for another one on Monday)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.