Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Well, the remaining 10K of my personal gold welcome bonus did not show up as promised today. Contacted csr and was told that I should have received all 25K right at $500 spent. Somehow, he managed to post the remaining 10K instantly, unlike the previous 3 csr's ...

It looks like whether you get your issue resolved or not depend very much on which csr you talk to ... ^
It really is luck of the draw. Some CSR's are awesome and some people are just ... indifferent let's say.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Reading this thread is a bit like drinking from a fire hose!

Do I understand correctly that as a Plat member, I can self-refer to add an Amex Gold, and claim the referral bonus?

Thanks!
Yes, and you will receive 15k referral bonus MR points.

Last edited by Cana2013; May 4, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
It really is luck of the draw. Some CSR's are awesome and some people are just ... indifferent let's say.
Very true. My bonus 60k just posted today, 1 business day after talking with the rep about it. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a lemon.

Same goes with the Platinum Travel Service.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Gold to Platinum

Hi all.

Just had a question. Is it possible to sign up for the gold AMEX card and collect the points and then eventually (3 -6 months) later self refer to platinum, cancel the gold but keep their 25,000 points with the gold card?

Thanks. I'd be curious to the response. I want to cancel the gold card fairly promptly so as to keep life simple and not risk too much debt
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Yes, and you will receive 15k referral bonus MR points.
Anything particular I need to do for this to work? Apply online, on the phone?

I'm hoping for the Gold Rewards card as opposed to the Aeroplan.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:42 am

Apply online using a different email address. Do not call up. also remember that it is a risk you are taking and this method does not always work
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eishv
...self refer to platinum...
In which country? Canada, USA, UK ... ?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Canada here. Thanks for the info!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by eishv
Canada
Thank you for the clarification. I have appended your question to an established thread on this topic. Reviewing earlier posts should prove helpful.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Can't help on the self referral working or not, I have my wife for referrals.

Amex does not take points back. I would self refer while still holding the gold then cancel the gold once the plat is in your hands. I've had 4 Amex cards at one time, 3 personal, 1 biz. Cancelled all personal cards at once a few weeks back and just got the plat approved 2 days ago, the rep never mentioned my 3 cards cancellation. I guess they are happy to get my $699. This card might come in useful once I start to reapply for the Gold, Aerogold and ..maybe.. AeroPlat. Better point value on the Plat once I realized I could use the travel credits. Prior to 2 months ago I was not travelling in any way I could use it. VRBO stays and Aeroplan redemptions. Now we are going to the Pacific with hotel layovers, connecting flights etc.

If Amex declines my too soon application for the golds, a threat to cancel the plat might change their minds. When I called to cancel the 3 cards I used the # on the back of the
AeroPlat and not NO attitude, transfer, just which card do you want to keep?
My wife got major attitude. She just told them to look at her AeroPlat balance...no more issues. Except her Aerogold and Biz gold had the same last 5 digits! So the Aerogold got cancelled a few days later once I figured that mess out. I drive her nuts with all the cards.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Anything particular I need to do for this to work? Apply online, on the phone?

I'm hoping for the Gold Rewards card as opposed to the Aeroplan.

Thanks!
Generate a referral link from your plat card, then apply online with your referral link. Do not apply by calling Amex.

Last edited by Cana2013; May 4, 2014 at 4:04 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
The deadline to remove all references or links to credit cards from your Flyertalk Signature is May 4, 2014. Read more here:

New Flyertalk rules impact credit card referrals.

Official Notice: Update to FlyerTalk Rules. Modify signatures if needed by May 4
Can't come soon enough IMO.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 3:56 pm

Hi,
Lurker but noob post.
I'm looking to build and then blow Aeroplan miles in the next year and am considering applying for the (Canadian) AMEX Aerogold.
I've already got a TD Visa Infinite Travel (whose points I'll convert to AP), an RBC Visa Preferred and a cashback BMO Mastercard but I'm not a churner, since I've had these cards for a minimum of 5-20 years!
I've gone through most of this thread, it's pretty daunting but I'm setting up for my first churn!
I've read the referral disclaimers and t&c's but what's not clear to me is what info does the "referrer" (the one who does the referral) get on the "referee" (the one who is referred) besides finding out whether the application was approved or denied?
Thanks for all the help thus far.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:03 pm

The referrer knows nothing, except when they get an extra 10k miles on their statement

It makes it hard to chase down referral miles because the moment you have more than one in a month, it's not always clear who's the one missing.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:03 pm

Nothing. There is a thread here where you can pm people your email address, they then send a link for you. Apart from that I don't believe Amex will share any info between you and the referrer. Privacy laws would not allow them to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.