Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of a credit card issued by BMO has been removed. This topic would be appropriate in the Credit Card Programs forum.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by microcosm
I know self referral works from amex MR gold-plat, but not sure if i want plat just yet, in meantime i want aeroplan gold + plat airmiles. these 2 are outside of the MR rewards program, will i still get referral bonus (10k) if i was to self refer from gold?

Actually, for Amex Air miles Plat i dont think id be able to get +500 referral airmile points so maybe i should use someone's referral or go with GCR rebate?
To YOU, max. benefit is to use GCR and get yourself some cashback, except in the cases of Referral offer better than GCR offer

AMEX Air Miles Plat
Just go with GCR for 1500 AM signup + $30 cashback <-- referral offer is only 1250 AM and no cashback
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...MilesPlatinum/

Aeroplan Gold
You want to use a referral link for 30K welcome instead of 25K Aeroplan

AMEX Plat
You want to use a referral link for 60K welcome instead of 50K AMEX MR

You'd have no problem finding links from the FT official AMEX referral thread, or anyone here
Old May 8, 2014, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lazarev
If you are so morally pure, ........
Sorry for off-topic rant.
This thread is Churning Amex in Canada. Most posters on this thread do just that. Canceling cards before fees kick in is one of the elements that contributes to churn success. When, its a personal decision and Amex's prerogative to refund fees if paid. Its always upto a Credit Card or charge card issuer to dictate the terms even if not written clearly for most to follow. Ethics have nothing to do with churning. And its subjective as you have demonstrated. I am a morally pure churner. Happy shopping on the card. ^
Old May 8, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by jerryhung
To YOU, max. benefit is to use GCR and get yourself some cashback, except in the cases of Referral offer better than GCR offer

AMEX Air Miles Plat
Just go with GCR for 1500 AM signup + $30 cashback <-- referral offer is only 1250 AM and no cashback
http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...MilesPlatinum/

Aeroplan Gold
You want to use a referral link for 30K welcome instead of 25K Aeroplan

AMEX Plat
You want to use a referral link for 60K welcome instead of 50K AMEX MR

You'd have no problem finding links from the FT official AMEX referral thread, or anyone here
theyve upgraded airmiles, 1.5k miles for regular and i believe if referred its +500 extra (so 2k), but obviously no one has had success right with self referral from amex MR gold to amex plat airmiles in receiving +500 miles at bare minimum (the +10k MR on Amex GOLD MR would be nice)

same thing goes with my inquisition with respect to aeroplan gold, maybe i might not get 10k MR from self referring on my amex MR gold but il atleast get +5k (or 30k) on aeroplan gold right?

also anyone have any data points/posts i could be referred to try and see what my chances of getting them to give me 10k MR for self referral? i wish i had someone close like alot of you to do swap referrals, would be so beneficial but i dont think anyone would reciprocate eventually to using my referrals if i were to use their sign up referral links for these 3 amex's
Old May 8, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: *void
theyve upgraded airmiles, 1.5k miles for regular and i believe if referred its +500 extra (so 2k), but obviously no one has had success right with self referral from amex MR gold to amex plat airmiles in receiving +500 miles at bare minimum (the +10k MR on Amex GOLD MR would be nice)
When I last checked, seconds ago, the Air Miles Plat was still 1250 (not 2k) by referral, but 1500 with straight signup without referral. So as Jerry says, go the GCR way and get $30 cash rebate instead.

Kudos to Jerry...always suggesting the right thing for the new signup applicants, and not being greedy to sucker anyone into using a referral when not needed/beneficial to do so. ^

Last edited by mia; May 9, 2014 at 7:12 am Reason: Remove commentary about other members.
Old May 9, 2014, 8:31 am

also anyone have any data points/posts i could be referred to try and see what my chances of getting them to give me 10k MR for self referral? i wish i had someone close like alot of you to do swap referrals, would be so beneficial but i dont think anyone would reciprocate eventually to using my referrals if i were to use their sign up referral links for these 3 amex's
Self-referral only works WITHIN the same AMEX card type family, not across
AMEX MR Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat >> AMEX MR Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat
AMEX Aeroplan Regular/Gold/Plat >> AMEX Aeroplan Regular/Gold/Plat
AMEX Air Miles Regular/Plat/Reserve >> AMEX Air Miles Regular/Plat/Reserve

Yes, you are stuck finding a referral from someone (TO YOUR OWN BENEFIT though, on the Aeroplan Gold 30K vs 25K non-referral)

On the other cards, if you don't want to let someone else earn the referral bonus, just go apply with GCR and earn some cashback for yourself

I find swapping/trading referrals is unreliable, and most people already have the cards they want. Also, Aeroplan referral bonus takes 1 month to show up, even harder to "keep someone to their promises"

Good luck
Old May 9, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Can't speak to the self-refferal but my I used my wife' AeroPlat to send me a BizGold refferal and she got the 10K AP miles. Didn't intend on doing it, I spent a few good minutes cussing that after waiting weeks for the Biz card they didn't send me an Aeroplan one!!! Soon realized there wasn't such a card... Corporate Amex Aeroplan does exist. My business is incorporated....however I don't think Amex had my little outfit in mind..

Hope someone gets here gets unsuspended.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:37 am
alc

Here are my posts about self-referral:

Post #1

Post #2
Old May 9, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott

same thing goes with my inquisition with respect to aeroplan gold, maybe i might not get 10k MR from self referring on my amex MR gold but il atleast get +5k (or 30k) on aeroplan gold right?
Some reported on RFD that they did get the 30k for AeroplanPlus gold card by cross-card-family referral, but get 0 referral bonus. The cross-card-family referral is not a reliable process IMO because it is not supported by the referral T&C.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:55 am

Got denied MR Plat to AP gold (Amex rep specifically said the request denied)
Old May 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by alc
Here are my posts about self-referral:

Post #1

Post #2
thanks and interesting data points, but unfortunately it left me to be only pessimistic
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Some reported on RFD that they did get the 30k for AeroplanPlus gold card by cross-card-family referral, but get 0 referral bonus. The cross-card-family referral is not a reliable process IMO because it is not supported by the referral T&C.
i know this but nothing is set in stone when its only a click away for them to release xx amount of AP or MR points, so discretion on CSR is an existential factor
Originally Posted by crimsona
Got denied MR Plat to AP gold (Amex rep specifically said the request denied)
haha lol. yea i guess if i were to do self referral from Gold MR to AeroPlus Gold i wont get the +10k MR bonus, but chances are the +5k (to make it 30K) is what im going to end up with.

Last edited by mia; May 9, 2014 at 2:05 pm
Old May 9, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Amex must really like me then. I've done quite well.
Old May 9, 2014, 1:58 pm

...I know theres a thread where ppl just post their referrals ...
Just so you do realize, you are new to FT (joined 1 month ago) and only have 13 posts
The other party swapping referral may be taking higher risk than you

Go with GCR if you can't earn referral bonus

Last edited by mia; May 9, 2014 at 2:06 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old May 11, 2014, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Just so you do realize, you are new to FT (joined 1 month ago) and only have 13 posts
The other party swapping referral may be taking higher risk than you

Go with GCR if you can't earn referral bonus
i dont think so, ppl from my posts could tell my level maturity and seriousness regarding amex churning.

with respect to GCR, 5-15k (usually 10k points) is worth way more than 30-40$

Last edited by mia; May 11, 2014 at 1:56 pm Reason: Remove off topic content.
Old May 12, 2014, 6:58 am
alc

i dont think so, ppl from my posts could tell my level maturity and seriousness regarding amex churning.
To be honest, I can't tell how old you are from reading your post, but I do agree you are very serious in churning and try to get a lot of Aeroplan miles in very short period of time -- as you stated in the thread you started in Aeroplan. I am pretty sure some FT will agree with you and I think what Jerry is trying to tell you is how others would think when they read your request.

with respect to GCR, 5-15k (usually 10k points) is worth way more than 30-40$
For this one, all this mean is that if you can't get the Referral miles/points that you really wanted, then just get it via GCR, so you can at least get some rebate $$ from it.

Overall, if you can't get the thing that you had been stated for the last few days, just start getting 1 card from GCR and then start self-refer to get to the goal that you want.

Goodluck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.