Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by FFSaver
* Canada doesn't seem to have the Green Charge Card.
Amex Canada issues a green card.
Old May 30, 2014, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I see references to a Corporate Green card, but do they still issue personal Green cards?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Originally Posted by mia
I see references to a Corporate Green card, but do they still issue personal Green cards?
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any mention of the Green card, neither for corporate nor personal... on the Canadian site: https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...rds_pc_viewcrd

Last edited by mia; May 30, 2014 at 7:39 am Reason: Remove broken image link
Old May 30, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Got my 60K bonus miles today!
Old May 30, 2014, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Personal green card discontinued in Canada.

Reference: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...Card=greenCard

NB - above link is in no way related to an account, it is the page for creation of a referral link. I suspect that there are grandfathered cards around that they will still honour (I see them being used occasionally although they could be US cards), but no new issued cards.
Old May 30, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Going off in another direction....

Remember the discussion at the beginning of the year about a new premium Amex travel card? Almost half way into the year and ...?
Old May 30, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk

Remember the discussion at the beginning of the year about a new premium Amex travel card? Almost half way into the year and ...?
idk... i personally think amex is trying to cut costs, literally killed most of the benefits to the plat MR $700 card by march, and on top of that ive seen them advertise very aggressively their amex gold, which theyre trying to hand out like candy to basically everyone.

ironically amex says its not interest-centric business model based but given how aggressive ive seen them trying to push their gold to the layman commoner, and a 30% interest that you automatically must pay effectively after your statement or you cant use your cc seems like theyve maybe realigned their directives and approach in canada.

seems like legal loan sharking lol

p.s. i dont think they wanted to raise MR from 15k/20k -> 25k but in light of practically every other FI in canada rolling new premium cc's, they had to do something innovative
Old May 30, 2014, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk

Good reminder, I totally forgot about that

I think it was simply a rumor to begin with anyway
and I think the 2014 PREMIUM card competition began weaker than we thought (e.g. TD VISA Prestige at $399/year was weak), so no need for AMEX to modify AMEX Plat or introduce NEW cards at all

Simply raising AMEX Gold to 25K AMEX MR and AMEX Aeroplan to 30K is enough to remain king of "free" miles/points vs. TD/CIBC/BMO cards
Old May 31, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Amex Plat has been VERY disappointing of late. Benefits are vanishing and while stateside they get transfer promos, new benefits like paid Global Entry and Boingo wifi we get nothing, nada, zilch. Frustrating. This card is going to bite the dust at renewal unless things change pronto.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by microcosm
idk... i personally think amex is trying to cut costs, literally killed most of the benefits to the plat MR $700 card by march, and on top of that ive seen them advertise very aggressively their amex gold, which theyre trying to hand out like candy to basically everyone.

ironically amex says its not interest-centric business model based but given how aggressive ive seen them trying to push their gold to the layman commoner, and a 30% interest that you automatically must pay effectively after your statement or you cant use your cc seems like theyve maybe realigned their directives and approach in canada.

seems like legal loan sharking lol

p.s. i dont think they wanted to raise MR from 15k/20k -> 25k but in light of practically every other FI in canada rolling new premium cc's, they had to do something innovative
I see them advertise it everywhere too, but its simply Google re-marketing - meaning the ad follows you around once you've been to the site.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Amex definitely officially stated they were launching a new premium Aeroplan credit card in 2014.

This got my attention since previously Amex could not issue credit cards owing to the CIBC exclusivity deal.

I agree that they probably saw what TD/CIBC put out there as a premium cad for $399 and fel reassured that their $499 Aeroplat was vastly superior.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:06 pm
Suspended

is the Gold card the only two FYF Amex currenly available?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:13 pm
alc

Originally Posted by VoicesRising
is the Gold card the only two FYF Amex currenly available?
There are others like Air Miles Plat and AeroplanPlus Basic that are FYF. While there are cards that are no annual fee card like Blue Sky and Air Miles Basic.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

As per Alc, there are many other FYF cards, they just typically would not be seen as "worth" hitting a credit hit for and are generally not seen as better offers than other banks' cards, whereas the Aeroplus Gold and Gold Rewards are clearly market leading FYF cards.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Should I sign up Aero Gold and Gold Rewards at the same time Or alternate them 6 months apart?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.