Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by amaznglee
Hi,
Lurker but noob post.
I'm looking to build and then blow Aeroplan miles in the next year and am considering applying for the (Canadian) AMEX Aerogold.
I've already got a TD Visa Infinite Travel (whose points I'll convert to AP), an RBC Visa Preferred and a cashback BMO Mastercard but I'm not a churner, since I've had these cards for a minimum of 5-20 years!
I've gone through most of this thread, it's pretty daunting but I'm setting up for my first churn!
I've read the referral disclaimers and t&c's but what's not clear to me is what info does the "referrer" (the one who does the referral) get on the "referee" (the one who is referred) besides finding out whether the application was approved or denied?
Thanks for all the help thus far.

Nothing. If you don't tell the person whose links you use, they won't even know it was you!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
what's not clear to me is what info does the "referrer" (the one who does the referral) get on the "referee" (the one who is referred) besides finding out whether the application was approved or denied?
The only way a referring party has information is if they know you are applying and can identify whether or not they received bonus points for the month.

As previously stated if the person referring does not know you are applying, i.e. a blind referral whch will disappear from Flyrtalk next week, then the referring person has no information.

It is easier to identify whether or not a Membership Reward card is approve since the points post for the referring person on the (business) day after approval so if I refer a friend on Thursday and I get points on Friday, then I can pretty confidently expect that my friend was approved. As the Aeroplan cards only post referral bonuses once per month it is rarely possible to glean the information of who was or was not approved, especially if the referring person makes open/blind offers through a forum such as this or through Facebook.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Hi,
I've read the referral disclaimers and t&c's but what's not clear to me is what info does the "referrer" (the one who does the referral) get on the "referee" (the one who is referred) besides finding out whether the application was approved or denied?
You do not need the referrer to tell you if you are approved or not. If you get instant approval, you will see on the webpage that you are approved after you submit your online application. If it is not an instant approval, you will be notified by email in 3 - 5 business days.

Last edited by Cana2013; May 4, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 10:32 pm
Suspended

All of the above replies are missing out on one thing.

If someone refers you to the Aeroplan Gold card, each time someone successfully apply - they ('referee') get 15,000 Aeroplan Miles. Which is relatively...quite valuable.

Hence why people are so desperate for referrals, and leaving their referral links on their signature to the very last minute.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
All of the above replies are missing out on one thing.

If someone refers you to the Aeroplan Gold card, each time someone successfully apply - they ('referee') get 15,000 Aeroplan Miles. Which is relatively...quite valuable.
Hence why people are so desperate for referrals, and leaving their referral links on their signature to the very last minute.
Does it not depend on which card the referrer currently hold?

(You meant referrer?)
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Does it not depend on which card the referrer currently hold?

(You meant referrer?)
Yes, my bad - I meant the referrer.

No, it does not depend which card (Gold/Plat) the referrer holds - refer back to the last couple of pages.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Any options to keep MR alive for free in Canada?

Hi!

I'm just got myself into Amex Gold with intention of referring back-and-forth with my husband and churning accordingly. But upon careful exploration of options in Canada, I might be stuck with having to transfer out to Avios (to pool my and husbands rewards for biannual family TATL tickets). Disclaimer: I'm not a FF, not hotel goer, but just an avid spender.

- Is there a free/FYF Amex product that I missed that can be used to keep MR alive when canceling Amex Gold? Both Gold Biz and Plat have annual fees that I can't justify (yet?), I just started and I'm not traveling. Applying for Biz (when I have no biz) and then canceling a 2 months later and asking/expecting pro-rated annual fee refund is beyond my ethical threshold.

- Is there any other FF program beyond Avios that can pool on family level? Now I realize I can't transfer MR from my husbands amex into my Aeroplan, as I'm in Canada (not that I like Aeroplan, lack of TATL award availability is driving me nuts, but that might be the only long-term way to get to Lufthansa or Austrian award, plus I can cycle Amex Aero in my churning)

- Is there a way to transfer MR from my husband to me and vice-versa on regular basis (twice a year)? I'm thinking of complicated scenario where I refer him to Gold, and then add him as supplementary on my Gold. But that still results in two separate MR - one for me, one for his primary, and I'm assuming he will not be able to "grab" MRs from supplementary and transfer to his primary....so likely not an option either.

Any ideas, or options that will work?
Old May 4, 2014, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Lazarev's post has been appended to the established thread. See also this thread for information about some of the questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...n-account.html

6. Can I transfer points to a friend?
No, it is not possible to transfer points to someone else's Points Account.
https://catalogue.membershiprewards....ng.mtw#answer6

Last edited by mia; May 4, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old May 4, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Lazarev
Hi!

I'm just got myself into Amex Gold with intention of referring back-and-forth with my husband and churning accordingly. But upon careful exploration of options in Canada, I might be stuck with having to transfer out to Avios (to pool my and husbands rewards for biannual family TATL tickets). Disclaimer: I'm not a FF, not hotel goer, but just an avid spender.

- Is there a free/FYF Amex product that I missed that can be used to keep MR alive when canceling Amex Gold? Both Gold Biz and Plat have annual fees that I can't justify (yet?), I just started and I'm not traveling. Applying for Biz (when I have no biz) and then canceling a 2 months later and asking/expecting pro-rated annual fee refund is beyond my ethical threshold.

- Is there any other FF program beyond Avios that can pool on family level? Now I realize I can't transfer MR from my husbands amex into my Aeroplan, as I'm in Canada (not that I like Aeroplan, lack of TATL award availability is driving me nuts, but that might be the only long-term way to get to Lufthansa or Austrian award, plus I can cycle Amex Aero in my churning)

- Is there a way to transfer MR from my husband to me and vice-versa on regular basis (twice a year)? I'm thinking of complicated scenario where I refer him to Gold, and then add him as supplementary on my Gold. But that still results in two separate MR - one for me, one for his primary, and I'm assuming he will not be able to "grab" MRs from supplementary and transfer to his primary....so likely not an option either.

Any ideas, or options that will work?
No FREE product to keep AMEX MR alive

Unless you have LARGE balance, it's easier to transfer out to Avios or Aeroplan every time instead of keeping it alive

Besides Avios, I don't know any program allowing "household" accounts

It's known to work to transfer AMEX MR into someone else's account, it's YMMV for sure, but I think it works 100% especially if same LAST NAME and same address
You'll know when you "link" it on AMEX website whether it's successful or not. Problem is to call AMEX and explain to de-link person #1, and re-link it online to person #2 yourself

It's probably easier to keep separate AMEX MR, separate Aeroplan, and just book in each's name directly
or simply link everything to Person #1's Aeroplan in AMEX, and ask Person #1 to book tickets for everyone

Welcome to AMEX Canada
Old May 4, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG, Aeroplan
Thank you for very quick answer ^ - you confirmed my worries.

The reason why I wanted to keep it in MR rather than Aeroplan, is that my biannual family trip always has a stop over in different city (so we get to visit each country, one country at the time). MR would keep it flexible enough for me to choose airline at the time of booking (still 12 months in advance of actual travel).
Oh, well, low cost carriers and/or train will work for getting us from FRA/MUC to rest of Europe. I'll just put in same Aeroplan for both of us. Now I just have to scrub Aeroplan forum on LH availability.
Old May 4, 2014, 8:58 am

Thank you for very quick answer ^ - you confirmed my worries.

The reason why I wanted to keep it in MR rather than Aeroplan, is that my biannual family trip always has a stop over in different city (so we get to visit each country, one country at the time). MR would keep it flexible enough for me to choose airline at the time of booking (still 12 months in advance of actual travel).
Oh, well, low cost carriers and/or train will work for getting us from FRA/MUC to rest of Europe. I'll just put in same Aeroplan for both of us. Now I just have to scrub Aeroplan forum on LH availability.
I pay $150/year for my AMEX Gold to keep my AMEX MR alive @@
I have enough miles in both Avios and Aeroplan to not need a transfer, but don't want to "bet" on a program to transfer now either

If you're redeeming Aeroplan, avoid LH and AC as they have crazy YQ (fuel surcharges) that'll cost you $400 one-way. So much for "FREE" tickets

note that AC releases seat 355 days out, I think LH too
but other airlines may be 330 or 300 days, hard to say
Old May 4, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: *void
Is there a free/FYF Amex product that I missed that can be used to keep MR alive when canceling Amex Gold? Both Gold Biz and Plat have annual fees that I can't justify (yet?), I just started and I'm not traveling. Applying for Biz (when I have no biz) and then canceling a 2 months later and asking/expecting pro-rated annual fee refund is beyond my ethical threshold.
A couple of months ago, when Amex stopped offering the Biz Gold MR as a $0 FYF, it signficantly (some say effectively) stopped the free conga-churn between Gold MR and Biz Gold MR to keep your MR points alive. For me, I'm lucky that I got one more dance, late last year, with the Biz Gold while it was still $0 FYF'd.

But, for some, the conga doesn't have to stay idle if your personal setup/preference is a fit for a 'paid' dance partner.

Like you, I too cannot entertain the thought of 'ripping' off Amex by cancelling one of their fee-based cards after collecting the welcome points, within a couple of months of activation. However, if you are going to be doing any travel in a forecasted 12 month period, say 3 or 4 trips, then the $699/fee of the Platinum card is practically a wash-out for the fee you pay versus the 60,000 MRs you bring into your MR account, as the 100:1 conversion from MR to $ is already worth $600. When you throw in also the self or spousal referral points, that's another $100-$150 value...and now you've got a card that gets you into the lounges while you travel for your 3 or 4 trips....think of it as a nice 'fringe' benefit after the cards associated MR points have deposited into your account.

Otherwise if you're only interested in free 'dances', Jerry's posts pretty much says it all, for your other options.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator reminder

The deadline to remove all references or links to credit cards from your Flyertalk Signature is TODAY. Read more here:

New Flyertalk rules impact credit card referrals.

Official Notice: Update to FlyerTalk Rules. Modify signatures if needed by May 4
Old May 4, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Yay for the no more links!

JJonahJ- you forgot the annual $200 travel credit. I, unlike you, have no qualms about using and abusing the free cards just for the points. The Plat card is nice but disappointed about the Aussie lack of lounges, could have really used those next year. Will probably use it as an excuse to cancel early Jan. Reapply mid/late summer for Dec travel.

While we have been "abusing" Amex between me and my wife they have taken a lot of our spending away from CIBC and Capital One. Win win? Maybe not as profitable as they might like it to be, but profitable nonetheless.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
The deadline to remove all references or links to credit cards from your Flyertalk Signature is TODAY. Read more here:

New Flyertalk rules impact credit card referrals.

Official Notice: Update to FlyerTalk Rules. Modify signatures if needed by May 4
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Yay for the no more links!
IMO, those still with referral links + actively online + need mods to manually edit them out should even get a minimum 1 month ban from the Amex sub-forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.