FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Churning Amex in Canada (2014)
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2014, 3:18 pm
alc

Another Data-point for Cross-Family Self-Referral

Meant to provide this comment a few weeks ago, but forgot. Here is another data-point for your reference.

First of all, I had mentioned with my own experience before, my Self-Referral Cross-Family from Platinum to AeroPlat didn't get me the 15K referral MR bonus. But co-worker of mine who recently change from Platinum to AeroPlat where the Platinum had been cancel but left it in the online profile as a cancel card. Generated a referral-link for the co-worker spouse to get the Gold Reward, but enter the AeroPlat card number as if it is the Platinum card number. My co-worker understanding will loose out the GCR rebate, but needed the 15K for an upcoming reward ticket, hence took the risk. The application was not approved instantly, but did approve afterward and rec'd the card in about 1-2 weeks. To my co-worker and myself surprise, the 15K Aeroplan referral did show up on the next statement.

So, not sure if it is because:

(a) it work for Aeroplan to MR cross-family (my co-worker experience) and not MR to Aeroplan (My own experience)

(b) the fact the cancel Platinum is still on the account

I do have a AeroPlat and had my cancel Platinum still on the profile, all my referral had been generated using my wife Gold Reward account since I cancel my Platinum card. So, not sure if I want to risk to get 15K Aeroplan over getting a confirmed 10K MR, but for those who are in the same situation as my co-worker and want to try it out, let us know your result.