Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
But there isn't a competing card. So for in amex's perspective it's take the plat or leave it. I'm assuming even ify ou don't get the plat you'd be getting the gold.
For our US counterparts, it seems like the lifetime restriction is coming to a head.

Perhaps if there is a FYF signup bonus, yeah go for it. But if there isn't the bonus, most Canadians imho would just opt to go with a Visa AE cc, just to cut the expenses down. Visa is more widely accepted, and its commonplace knowledge Amex charges a premium to retailers for use of Amex, resulting in some retailers not offering Amex based on high % fees charged.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:21 pm

The original point wasn't that incentives have improved, but that signup bonuses have increased over the years (which in turn drives award redemption inflation). When I first learned about mini rtw a F redemption was only 120k, and I had to map out what cards to churn to get there.

The jump to 175 hurt (I ended up doing a J redemption), and the 210 is now out of reasonableness. However, acquiring RDM in the last 2 years have been significantly easier.

CX Gold is a funny thing - since access requires a OneWorld ticket, my fiancee never bothered getting it even though she's had her Amex plat for a year and a half. Priority pass alone has been good enough to get some sort of lounge access as she's done all her flying on Star Alliance
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
The original point wasn't that incentives have improved, but that signup bonuses have increased over the years (which in turn drives award redemption inflation). When I first learned about mini rtw a F redemption was only 120k, and I had to map out what cards to churn to get there.

The jump to 175 hurt (I ended up doing a J redemption), and the 210 is now out of reasonableness. However, acquiring RDM in the last 2 years have been significantly easier.

CX Gold is a funny thing - since access requires a OneWorld ticket, my fiancee never bothered getting it even though she's had her Amex plat for a year and a half. Priority pass alone has been good enough to get some sort of lounge access as she's done all her flying on Star Alliance
May as well have her sign up for CX Gold. I believe its still in the window where she can have it for a year. IIRC by March 31st, 2014. You never know when she'll use it, and better safe than sorry especially when its CX Gold.

J Redemptions especially the RTW was of good value. Fortunately, I've never did one of those so I don't know what I'm missing.

The sign up bonuses increases for a good while, and just recently the Gold Biz got dropped, and a bunch of changes to the Platinum program. What's the draw with the Platinum card now? I seriously do find better value with the Aeroplat after the changes, but perhaps someone can convince me. The Aerogold Amex is 1.25 points per $ after 10K and that's actually an excellent card to hold. Currently, my spend is on the Aerogold Amex until I muster enough reasons to sign up for the Aeroplat. Amex should sweeten Aeroplat just a bit more.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Sadly, still no sign of my bonus/threshold points -- and we are now beyond the 2 business day deadline.

I called Amex and they had no explanation for the delay -- although, interestingly enough, the agent was looking through my MR (which was automatically merged with my Amex Gold card when I was approved for the Platinum) -- he seemed to be confused by all the bonus points in my account. Most of the bonus points were for referrals to the Gold card but he also saw the 15,000 referral points I got on my gold card for referring myself to the Platinum. That threw him for a bit of a loop.

I'm wondering if the merging of my accounts is the cause of this delay?

All I got from the agent was that the MR department hadn't updated the 'ticket' associated with my claim but that he would monitor my account and call me when it gets updated -- not really helpful since I can just log in to my account to do this.
1 week after my initial request for my 60,000 threshold points - nothing posted. My first bill has now been issued. I called Amex again -- I was told again that the 'ticket' that was put in March 10th has still not been responded to. The CSA indicated that this was highly unusual so she would issue a "rush" on the file. I also mentioned that I needed the points for a SPG transfer I needed to do. She said if the point don't show up by Friday, to call back and speak to a supervisor to see if they can issue the points on an 'exception' basis (who knew this was even possible and why wasn't this considered to be a rush/exception basis now -- after all, I have been waiting a week for these points to post??).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
1 week after my initial request for my 60,000 threshold points - nothing posted. My first bill has now been issued. I called Amex again -- I was told again that the 'ticket' that was put in March 10th has still not been responded to. The CSA indicated that this was highly unusual so she would issue a "rush" on the file. I also mentioned that I needed the points for a SPG transfer I needed to do. She said if the point don't show up by Friday, to call back and speak to a supervisor to see if they can issue the points on an 'exception' basis (who knew this was even possible and why wasn't this considered to be a rush/exception basis now -- after all, I have been waiting a week for these points to post??).
im still waiting on my points to post on my amex plat as well.

i used my $200 credit so i'm currently not sure if that meant i had to spend another $200 extra. the points didnt post when i hit $1000 (ignoring $200 credit), but i just did the spend to put me at $1200 but it hasnt posted yet, so i'm hoping i should see the points soon (2-3 days)... otherwise maybe another system issue.

leaning towards the SPG transfer, as even at 2:1, the value seems reasonable to me. particularly so if one has sufficient Aeroplan, and no ultra short haul plans in the medium term future for Avios usage. putting it towards something that could be used soon seems better than piling all the points into maximized transfer but not used for some time. since then i'd become overexposed to a single program's devaluation risk

Last edited by Cerenity; Mar 18, 2014 at 11:27 am
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cerenity
im still waiting on my points to post on my amex plat as well.

i used my $200 credit so i'm currently not sure if that meant i had to spend another $200 extra. the points didnt post when i hit $1000 (ignoring $200 credit), but i just did the spend to put me at $1200 but it hasnt posted yet, so i'm hoping i should see the points soon (2-3 days)... otherwise maybe another system issue.

leaning towards the SPG transfer, as even at 2:1, the value seems reasonable to me. particularly so if one has sufficient Aeroplan, and no ultra short haul plans in the medium term future for Avios usage. putting it towards something that could be used soon seems better than piling all the points into maximized transfer but not used for some time. since then i'd become overexposed to a single program's devaluation risk
Biz Gold MR bonus posted immediately upon $3K spend. Offer changed right after my activation and Amex honored the old offer accompanied with FYF.

The bonus should post immediately when transactions are posted so that you guys receive your bonus. Out of the 6 or 7 MR cards we've had historically, all MR bonuses posted immediately when the spend threshold is met.

Having stated these facts, sounds like the Amex system isn't responding to spend threshold bonuses as it should.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
Originally Posted by 1George
Applied for a AMEX personal gold today a few months after cancelling and I got a VM asking to call in. I already have a personal plat and no other cards with AMEX. Unfortunately I won't find out what this is all about until tomorrow!
Just an update to my situation. I cancelled and reapplied for the Amex Gold with about a 2 month turn around. Everything went smoothly. I cancelled my Plat and the points merged with my new Gold card. I hit the $500 spend in one transaction (yesterday) and am waiting for points to post.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Just an update to my situation. I cancelled and reapplied for the Amex Gold with about a 2 month turn around. Everything went smoothly. I cancelled my Plat and the points merged with my new Gold card. I hit the $500 spend in one transaction (yesterday) and am waiting for points to post.
Was the approval for your second Gold card automatic or you had to call in to push it through?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwoods
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Was the approval for your second Gold card automatic or you had to call in to push it through?
It would have been automatic had I not mistyped my postal code. I just had to verify my identity and then it was approved.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: *void
It would have been automatic had I not mistyped my postal code. I just had to verify my identity and then it was approved.
So THAT'S the secret!!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Biz Gold MR bonus posted immediately upon $3K spend. Offer changed right after my activation and Amex honored the old offer accompanied with FYF.

The bonus should post immediately when transactions are posted so that you guys receive your bonus. Out of the 6 or 7 MR cards we've had historically, all MR bonuses posted immediately when the spend threshold is met.

Having stated these facts, sounds like the Amex system isn't responding to spend threshold bonuses as it should.
aye
i believe the points for my threshold transaction just posted, but still no signup bonus...
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cerenity
aye
i believe the points for my threshold transaction just posted, but still no signup bonus...
Did you sign up for Gold Biz on the 3K or 5K threshold.. I assume 3K since that includes FYF.

When I cross the threshold, my bonus sign up points posted immediately. For MR, no need to wait for the bonus points to post at statement or anything. Go to MyPoints (this is something I assume you did), and if the bonus isn't there when the threshold is crossed, I would immediately inquire with Amex as to why.

Good luck.. we're one of the last lucky ones to sign up for Gold Biz prior to their negative enhancements.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:19 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
10 weeks later and still missing 10k from the 25k referral offer on the gold. Sent a message but afraid I will have to waste time on the phone this weekend.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by newbie elite
10 weeks later and still missing 10k from the 25k referral offer on the gold. Sent a message but afraid I will have to waste time on the phone this weekend.
I just resolved this problem. Got 15k earlier; waited, waited; CSR told me in Feb they should be on March statement; didn't appear. Phoned Amex; CSR saw the notes that said I should be receiving them; phoned me back two days later to say points had just posted to my account. Happy happy.

YMMV, but phoning worked for me. Also I suggest calling during the day shift.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Did you sign up for Gold Biz on the 3K or 5K threshold.. I assume 3K since that includes FYF.

When I cross the threshold, my bonus sign up points posted immediately. For MR, no need to wait for the bonus points to post at statement or anything. Go to MyPoints (this is something I assume you did), and if the bonus isn't there when the threshold is crossed, I would immediately inquire with Amex as to why.

Good luck.. we're one of the last lucky ones to sign up for Gold Biz prior to their negative enhancements.
neither lol. im actually waiting for the Platinum points. missed the boat on Gold Biz!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.